By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Football Thread 20/21 UCL Semi Finals

** Betting is CLOSED - all winnings have been paid out by TalonMan **

Premier League winner?

Liverpool 2 $200.22 22.22%

Manchester City 7 $3,356.75 77.78%

Totals: 9 $3,556.97  
Game closed: 05/11/2019

The semis kick off tomorrow! Looking forward to them. I wanna try to watch the City - PSG game, the kick-off time (4am) is... not good for me, but it'll be a national holiday so it's not like I'll have to work or anything.

Last edited by Ka-pi96 - on 27 April 2021

Around the Network

The Super league controversy made me lose interest in the UCL. I don't want to prestige any team that was involved in the SL project, even PSG will not get my attention, since the only reason they refused to take part in this horrible idea was their own interests.

Last edited by zumnupy10 - on 27 April 2021

zumnupy10 said:

The Super league controversy made me lose interest in the UCL. I don't want to prestige any team that was involved in the SL project, even PSG will not get my attention, since the only reason they refused to take part in this horrible was their own interests.

I mean, let's not pretend any other club wasn't only acting in their own interests. They're all like this I'm sure.

Personally I wasn't interested from the moment these semis were confirmed. Kinda wish everyone would lose but I don't think that's quite how the competition works. So I guess I'm "rooting" for PSG as at least they are the only ones that didn't get themselves into the Super League mess, though there are many other reasons to dislike them.

mZuzek said:
zumnupy10 said:

The Super league controversy made me lose interest in the UCL. I don't want to prestige any team that was involved in the SL project, even PSG will not get my attention, since the only reason they refused to take part in this horrible was their own interests.

I mean, let's not pretend any other club wasn't only acting in their own interests. They're all like this I'm sure.

Personally I wasn't interested from the moment these semis were confirmed. Kinda wish everyone would lose but I don't think that's quite how the competition works. So I guess I'm "rooting" for PSG as at least they are the only ones that didn't get themselves into the Super League mess, though there are many other reasons to dislike them.

PSG was definetely acting on their own interests, but Bayern and Borussia Dortmund deserve respect.

Speaking about the UCL, I don't really like the Spanish clubs, so I try to ignore Barcelona and Real Madrid. 

PSG is such a loser team. They had the game in their hands and left victory escape...

As of Neymar, I question the sanity of journalists here in Brazil who dare to even compare him to Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho, Kaka and etc. It's really nonsense.

Around the Network

Delighted with the win. We weren't great the 1st half, hopefully we do better than that next week, but a great turnaround in the 2nd half. Got the away goal too so that's a pretty nice advantage for us. PSG need to score at least 2 in Manchester to get through, more if we score too!

zumnupy10 said:

As of Neymar, I question the sanity of journalists here in Brazil who dare to even compare him to Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho, Kaka and etc. It's really nonsense.

I dunno, that kind of depends on when you're comparing them. Kaka for starters, I've heard was good at Milan, but I only ever saw him during his Madrid days so based on how he did there I consider him massively overrated and I'd definitely put Neymar above him.

Ronaldinho is similar. I did see him at his best and I'd put him on the same level as Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo during that time. He was only at that level for a handful of season though, and non-peak Ronaldinho is definitely comparable to Neymar.

Ka-pi96 said:
zumnupy10 said:

I dunno, that kind of depends on when you're comparing them. Kaka for starters, I've heard was good at Milan, but I only ever saw him during his Madrid days so based on how he did there I consider him massively overrated and I'd definitely put Neymar above him.

Ronaldinho is similar. I did see him at his best and I'd put him on the same level as Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo during that time. He was only at that level for a handful of season though, and non-peak Ronaldinho is definitely comparable to Neymar.

Since everybody considers that Neymar is in his prime years as a footballer, all comparisons take in consideration the best years of the players I mentioned. Neymar is way under all them, really, they are not remotely close. It's really a shame that you haven't seen Kaka between 2003-2007 at AC Milan; Ronaldinho at the same time playing for Barcelona and specially Rivaldo and Ronaldo in the late 1990s, by what you say, I can deduce you are too young. In a way, your comment agrees with me, Neymar in his prime is similar to players near retirement.

zumnupy10 said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Since everybody considers that Neymar is in his prime years as a footballer, all comparisons take in consideration the best years of the players I mentioned. Neymar is way under all them, really, they are not remotely close. It's really a shame that you haven't seen Kaka between 2003-2007 at AC Milan; Ronaldinho at the same time playing for Barcelona and specially Rivaldo and Ronaldo in the late 1990s, by what you say, I can deduce you are too young. In a way, your comment agrees with me, Neymar in his prime is similar to players near retirement.

Not so much that I'm too young, I saw some of prime Rivaldo/Ronaldo, more that I've never really watched Italian football. In the UK the main ones that are televised are the British leagues (obviously), Spanish leagues and UEFA competitions, so I've seen little if any of the Serie A and Bundesliga.

Still don't think it's fair to just compare prime vs prime. Longevity is definitely a factor in how good a player is and having a better overall career may well be better than just a handful of fantastic seasons.

That said, just looking at the stats there should probably be some question marks around Neymar's longevity too. He seems to be playing a lot less games per season at PSG than he did at Barcelona and it's not as if he's that much better either. Still, I think the comparisons to Kaka and Ronaldinho at least are fair, even if he's not as good as they were in their prime, his career as a whole could certainly be comparable to them once he does hang up his boots.

Ka-pi96 said:
zumnupy10 said:

Not so much that I'm too young, I saw some of prime Rivaldo/Ronaldo, more that I've never really watched Italian football. In the UK the main ones that are televised are the British leagues (obviously), Spanish leagues and UEFA competitions, so I've seen little if any of the Serie A and Bundesliga.

Still don't think it's fair to just compare prime vs prime. Longevity is definitely a factor in how good a player is and having a better overall career may well be better than just a handful of fantastic seasons.

That said, just looking at the stats there should probably be some question marks around Neymar's longevity too. He seems to be playing a lot less games per season at PSG than he did at Barcelona and it's not as if he's that much better either. Still, I think the comparisons to Kaka and Ronaldinho at least are fair, even if he's not as good as they were in their prime, his career as a whole could certainly be comparable to them once he does hang up his boots.

Kaká was great for quite a while, though. Maybe he kinda flopped at Real Madrid (at a time when everyone flopped there), but he was Milan's best player for a few years and was central to the finals they made in 2005 and 2007. Of which he only won one but you can't fault him for his amazing performance in the 2005 final. He also won a Ballon d'Or, something you can argue Neymar might've won in a world without Messi or Ronaldo, but I'd argue Neymar wouldn't have won a Champions League in a world without them.

Edit: as for Ronaldinho... well, yeah, if you consider longevity, which is fair enough, I suppose he was pretty short-lived, but dude at his peak was absolutely legendary. And he won the World Cup, maybe not quite as a key player for Brazil back then but surely relevant.

Last edited by mZuzek - on 29 April 2021