By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Football Thread 20/21 UCL Semi Finals

** Betting is CLOSED - all winnings have been paid out by TalonMan **

Premier League winner?

Liverpool 2 $200.22 22.22%

Manchester City 7 $3,356.75 77.78%

Totals: 9 $3,556.97  
Game closed: 05/11/2019

I have been thinking about this and came to the conclusion that i dont mind this SL aslong as theybpresent it as what it is because it isnt a league but more a group of friendlies

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network
Metallox said:

What exactly is stopping the federations and UEFA from banning these teams from their domestic leagues and UEFA competitions? Officials are whining a lot but not doing much, and there's only been talks to suspend SL teams to play at UEFA level. What's also official is that players who dare to play won't be able to represent their countries either.

Who knows what might convince the SL teams' executives that this backlash is not worth it, though.

Probably also money and exposure. Excluding the biggest teams in Europe from their respective domestic leagues would have dire consequences for the viewership, income, stability, and viability of the leagues themselves. Things like "El Classico" and the English and German counterparts are huge draws and the biggest profiles play for the biggest teams. These teams have a bit more leverage than many realize, I think, but the whole thing is an asshole move but them which I cannot condone or agree with. Shameful is what it is.

Metallox said:

What exactly is stopping the federations and UEFA from banning these teams from their domestic leagues and UEFA competitions? Officials are whining a lot but not doing much, and there's only been talks to suspend SL teams to play at UEFA level. What's also official is that players who dare to play won't be able to represent their countries either.

Who knows what might convince the SL teams' executives that this backlash is not worth it, though.

For one thing it would be a massive legal mess. Banning them in the future is certainly a possibility, but they really need to wait for the right time to do that. If they were to do it immediately then it's an absolute certainty that all of the clubs would sue. Not only them either, but there's a significant chance that TV broadcasters and sponsors would sue too. If they paid however many billions to broadcast a 38 game season with 20 teams including some of the top teams in the world then surely they'd sue for breach of contract if suddenly a bunch of those teams got kicked out and the number of games was reduced.

They haven't done anything yet because they need to do everything by the book, they need a bit of time to research and plan how they'll respond rather than making a knee jerk reaction that will cause trouble for themselves too.

It could also be disastrous financially. Other clubs, including lower league clubs who are in a pretty dire financial situation with the current covid stuff going on, rely on money that's partially generated by those teams. I've seen people mention quite a few times that the lower English leagues rely quite heavily on the EFL Cup, and take the top teams out of that and the amount of money available decreases significantly. To be fair the EFL cup is also massively at risk with the new Champions League format coming, but at least with that they still have 3 years to try and work around it rather than immediately taking away a massive revenue stream which would be the case if they were to kick those clubs out right now.

Metallox said:
mZuzek said:

Seems like all 12 clubs officially left the European Clubs Association too, which... uhh, I don't know how serious that is, but it sounds bad? They all seem totally committed to this despite the overwhelming backlash from fans, pundits, and even their own managers and players. Seems increasingly likely that we'll really have a Super League happening between these teams next season (wonder if any other teams would actually join this clusterfuck), with the usual European tournaments proceeding as normal but without those clubs involved.

But hey, I don't care. I've been a Wolves fan all my life

They obviously expected such a strong backlash, it's the first phase before the negotiations between the 12 clubs and UEFA. I don't buy for a second this is going to go through. Perhaps something like the Super League is going to supplant the Champions League as the main UEFA club competition, and by that I mean this new tournament would make extremely easy for the founders to qualify, it wouldn't be like the Champions League where your position in the table in a single season is all that matters. 

If it happens, well, I'll be damned. 

They've kind of already done that though. The 2 (or was it 1?) teams with the highest UEFA coefficients that didn't qualify to the UCL via their league, but still qualified for either the Europa or Europa Conference leagues, will get a Champions League group stage place from 2024 onwards.

mZuzek said:

Seems increasingly likely that we'll really have a Super League happening between these teams next season (wonder if any other teams would actually join this clusterfuck), with the usual European tournaments proceeding as normal but without those clubs involved.

Seems like I was overly pessimistic.

Shit going down heavily today, it seems the great long-term project for the future of European football didn't last half a week. I'm happy, but I won't call this a proper win until the clubs get rid of these shitty owners. Not that any new owners would be any better, but still.

Around the Network

Talk about bad press. Man City already pulling out, Chelsea too. Woodward has resigned.

Hmm, pie.

The Fury said:

Talk about bad press. Man City already pulling out, Chelsea too. Woodward has resigned.

Interesting that they couldn't handle what was obviously going to be a huge backlash. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

How were they not prepared for this shitstorm? I was glad to see so many legends coming to speak their mind against this these past few days, even against their own former clubs.

Metallox said:

Interesting that they couldn't handle what was obviously going to be a huge backlash. 

Mummelmann said:

How were they not prepared for this shitstorm? I was glad to see so many legends coming to speak their mind against this these past few days, even against their own former clubs.

If they made a decision in but a few days "to save football", and over the weekend, kinda wonder if these millionaires didn't even consult their PR teams before. Which left it up to no one but these rich idiots to explain why they are doing it.

Hmm, pie.

real is the root of all evil

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.