By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Atari VCS Console PreOrder Live Full Specs

Will You be getting one?

Yes Definitely 1 3.23%

No 20 64.52%

Waiting for Supported Titles 8 25.81%

See Results 2 6.45%

Total:31

Source: http://thegg.net/press-releases/the-atari-vcs-console-is-now-available-for-pre-sale-on-indiegogo/

Includes full press release:

Press release:
NEW YORK, NY (MAY 30, 2018) – Atari, one of the world’s most iconic consumer brands and interactive entertainment producers, announced today that its new Atari VCS hardware platform is now available for pre-sale exclusively on IndiegogoA new Atari VCS launch video accompanies the announcement.

Two Atari VCS models are available to pre-order, including the Atari VCS Day One Collector’s Edition featuring a special retro-inspired real wood-front, and the sleek Atari VCS Onyx, with a glossy black face and searing “Atari Red” illuminated Fuji logo. The Atari VCS Day One Collector’s Edition is $299 USD, exclusive to Indiegogo, and only available for a limited time. The Atari VCS Onyx is priced at $199 USD, also for a limited time. Atari’s reimagined Classic Joystick and the all-new Modern Controller are available for purchase in select packages or as standalone purchases. Initial Atari VCS shipments are planned for mid-2019.

Retro-inspired, but not a “retro-box,” the Atari VCS is a modern device that offers a customizable entertainment experience for the home. As an homage to the past, every Atari VCS comes with the Atari Vault® collection of more than 100 all-time classic games, including arcade and home entertainment favorites like Asteroids®, Centipede®, Breakout®, Missile Command®, Gravitar® and Yars’ Revenge®.

Atari VCS features a unique open platform, where users can access a Linux “sandbox” to add their own software and customize their system. Additionally, Atari VCS will have universal peripheral connectivity to work with other PC input devices such as bluetooth and USB game controllers, mouse and keyboard, webcams, microphone, external speakers and headphones.

“We are happy with the progress we are making on Atari VCS and thrilled that fans finally have a chance to reserve the first ones,” said Michael Arzt, Atari COO of Connected Devices. “Atari VCS will give fans a lot of freedom to game, stream, connect and customize their experience like never before. The entire Atari team is working hard to deliver this unique platform and can’t wait for fans to get their hands on it. We’ll have exciting reveals and announcements between now and then so stay tuned!”

Atari has partnered with leading technology companies to help develop Atari VCS, including AMD, who provides the Atari VCS custom processor with Radeon Graphics Technology, and video game peripherals maker Power A who is developing the Classic Joystick and Modern Controller. The Atari VCS platform will support 4K resolution, HDR and 60FPS content, onboard and expandable cloud storage options, dual-band WiFi and Bluetooth 5.0, as well as USB 3.0 support. Additional specifications are listed on the Atari VCS Indiegogo page and subject to change.

Fans can learn more about the Atari VCS and exclusively pre-purchase any model of their choosing from: https://uberstrategist.link/ATARIVCS-PreSale.

For more information, fans can follow Atari VCS on Facebook, Twitter @TheAtari_VCS and Instagram.

To stay up-to-date on all things Atari and retro-pop-culture, like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Atari, and follow us on Twitter @Atari and Instagram

Atari VCS system box specs:
Specification* Measurement
Unit Dimensions 14.5″ x 5.3″ x 1.6″
Unit Weight 3 lbs.
Materials Plastic, Metal, Wood
Operating System Linux OS based on Ubuntu (Linux Kernel 4.10)
Compatible Systems Linux
Power Low TDP architecture – Less Heat & Noise
Connections HDMI 2.0, 2.4/5GHz Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 5.0, Gigabit Ethernet, 4xUSB 3.0
External Inputs Classic Joystick, Modern Controller, Microphone
Storage 32GB eMMC, external HD, SD card
RAM 4GB DDR4 RAM
Memory 32GB eMMC
CPU Bristol Ridge A1
GPU Radeon R7
HDCP Integration HDCP 2.2
Second Screen (Screencasting) Yes
Cloud Storage Yes. Additional Service Offering
Required Internet Connection Not for classic gaming but required to access all features
Cross Game Chat Skype, Discord, etc.
Voice Commands 4-front facing mic array
Subscription Needed? No. Includes cloud and other services.
Live Streaming Yes with Twitch.tv
Mouse & Keyboard Support Yes

Classic joystick technical specs:
Features Spec (US)
center joystick Yes
trigger button Yes
reactive LED ring Yes
Wireless Bluetooth
USB USB C
Battery Rechargeable
Approx. Weight 16 oz.
PC, Android Compatible Yes
Approx. Dimensions 4 x 4 x 4 inches
USB play/charge cable 4 foot
Headset Port No

Modern controller technical specs:
Features Spec (US)
L/R joysticks Yes
L/R Triggers Yes
L/R Shoulder buttons Yes
Home/menu buttons Yes
D-Pad Yes
4 function buttons Yes
Ergonomic grip Yes
Wireless Bluetooth
USB USB C
Battery Rechargeable
LED charge indicator Yes
Approx. Weight 16 oz.
PC, Android Compatible Yes
Approx. Dimensions 6 x 4.5 x 2 inches
USB play/charge cable 4 foot
Headset Port TBD

Video: https://youtu.be/vi79XVMS9T4

Around the Network

Beware spending money on vaporware!

Do your research.

Well, for what it is, it's not terrible. But...games. What games is this thing getting that the other big 3 or PC aren't? Besides nostalgia and real wood, why should I buy this? I see this being another Ouya situation but only a bit better only because of the specs.

Last edited by Ljink96 - on 30 May 2018

Weaker than the Switch right? and able to play 100 really old Atari games.... sounds wonderfull for the low low price for just 199/299$.

*laughs*
This has to be a joke, it must right?

That asking price and the specs list has me like:

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network
OneTime said:
Beware spending money on vaporware!

Do your research.

The Atari 2600  or VCS was my first ever gaming device so I'd be the perfect nostalgic target for this reboot. Unfortunately I have been paying attention and something is fishy with this new device. I'll wait and see how things go and what people who buy it has to say before making up my mind. But for now it's definitely NO.

That bristol ridge CPU is most powerful in this gen.

So is this like an Ouya with 100 Atari 2600/arcade games pre-programmed in?

If it has a direct link to my Steam library or has Half Life 3 as there launch title, ill probably pass for now. However it is one nice looking box and the retro controllers look very sweet. Definitely brings back memories. Placing this next to my OG Atari 2600 would be a site to see. However I am in no rush.

They're asking current gen consoles price for a retro/indie machine? This must be a joke.

"lupus in fabula, venit enim ad me."

Translation: I will always hate Fox for canceling The Exorcist.