By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - the Which Studio Sony Should Acquire Next thread.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
setsunatenshi said:

@ bold: Why would it be a negative thing? If anything, Sony are quite hands off and give enough creative freedom to their own studios while bankrolling their projects. Case in point Guerrilla Games and their transition from an FPS type of studio to making something like Horizon. Or the fact that Polyphony seems to have free reign to create 1 full game per console generation and no heads roll.

So, yeah... what's the negative there? 

The negative is Sony. It has a spotty publishing record, and I'd rather some of my favorite independent studios, which are doing fantastically and ALREADY providing exclusive content for PlayStation, maintain their independence. It's a win-win. Honestly, I don't want to see another Sony Liverpool, or Evolution, or Guerrilla Cambridge. Check out this quote from Tom Jones, who was jettisoned with the rest of Cambridge:

"Traditionally, being part of Sony pushing new hardware has challenges. Chasing that hardware developing and keeping up with that is very tricky. Often, artistically, you have to make compromises here and there and make concessions where you don't feel you have to..."

Plus, I think Sony's "entertainment DNA" is a bit at odds with studios like Insomniac or From Software. As someone who is turned off by cinematic action games and narrative-driven titles, I don't want to see some of my favorites pick up any bad habits.

I don't see how Sony taking Kojima as first party would make his games even more cinematic lol

Also, the third party exclusive games like Demon Souls and Bloodborne to me were the very best From Software has ever made, so I really can't see how them becoming first party would hurt at all. If anything it would give the financial stability to not having to put a B team pushing Dark Souls (e. g. DS2) past it's welcome just because it's a cash cow. 

Around the Network

...None...why do folk always want sony to buy some indepedent or 3rd party studio? they already have excellent third party and first party support.

Nem said:
VAMatt said:
Bungie, and make a new sci-fi FPS to out Halo Halo.

Both Halo and Bungie have fallen from grace.

It would be a waste of money.

V-r0cK said:
Ready at Dawn because I want a new The Order:1886 sequel!!!

I want an order sequel as well, but they have to stop being arrogant with the FPS debate. It didn't earn them any points. The whole 24fps to be more cinematic BS was inexcusable. They have to learn how to deal with the fans better.

In my 30+ years of gaming, I don't know if anything compares to the two-pronged disappointment of Halo post-Bungie and Bungie post-Halo. You had one of the best American game makers around and, arguably, the best first-person shooter series of all time. Now? Both Halo and Bungie are mediocre.

What about Capcom?

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

Veknoid_Outcast said:
Nem said:

Both Halo and Bungie have fallen from grace.

It would be a waste of money.

I want an order sequel as well, but they have to stop being arrogant with the FPS debate. It didn't earn them any points. The whole 24fps to be more cinematic BS was inexcusable. They have to learn how to deal with the fans better.

In my 30+ years of gaming, I don't know if anything compares to the two-pronged disappointment of Halo post-Bungie and Bungie post-Halo. You had one of the best American game makers around and, arguably, the best first-person shooter series of all time. Now? Both Halo and Bungie are mediocre.

I agree that the decline of Halo and Bungie sucks.  But, I don't think the decline has been as bad as you imply.  Halo 5 was a good game, and Bungie is still a top-tier studio.  Its just that, as you mention, both the game and the developer spent a decade or so at the very top.  That meant the only direction to go was down.  

Around the Network
Azuren said:
flashfire926 said:

Insomniac has stated multiple times that they want to stay independent. And no, sunset overdrive wouldn't exist if it weren't for xbox, so your second point is moot anyways.

I still think Sony should acquire then, and it didn't change the fact that Sunset is stranded on a platform that generally doesn't appreciate it.

what harmed sunset was the time chosen to release the game. A lot of the Xbox userbase doesnt even know it's a thing since it came and went under the radar. It's not about appreciating or not appreciating the game.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Kyuu said:

Kojima Productions, Oddworld Inhabitants, and any talented developers that are under recognized, financially troubled, or limited by severe budget constraints.

oddworld inhib would be a fantastic acquisitions but unlikely. they always seem like nice group of people

Kyuu said:

Kojima Productions, Oddworld Inhabitants, and any talented developers that are under recognized, financially troubled, or limited by severe budget constraints.

Not exactly "talented developers" but i wish they got IF or Compile Heart since i wanna see what Neptunia would look like and play like with a AAA budget, the series is honestly really charming and has a lot of potential but it has (as you mentioned) severe budget constraints, that being said it will never happen since the series is the definition of "niche" and (sadly) it wouldnt be worth the money and time.

Also we talked about Fate before and that would be a GREAT addition for them, its essentially their "Pokemon", and i mean Nintendo was smart enough to get that franchise before it got extremely popular, Sony however has been working with Fate for the last 3 years (before it blew up) and even before that almost all Fate games were exclusive to PS, but despite all of that they dont seem to care (even though its making them millions), its like they arent aware of the gold mine they are sitting on.

Im not even asking for them to outright buy Type Moon and make all of Fate exclusive to them, but they should at least secure some exclusives and co develop them with their first party studios, in other words pretty much what they did with From Soft which was securing exclusives, having From Soft be the main developer while having Japan Studios (sony first party) helping them (co-developing it), its also the only way i can see a high budget Fate game ever happening.

Bristow9091 said:
I honestly think it makes a whole bunch of sense for them to buy Bluepoint, like at this moment in time I don't understand why they're not already a Sony owned dev team, lol. Stick them in the remake/remaster department, bring PS1/PS2 games to the modern day... who knows, maybe they could even do a complete remake of Legend of Dragoon, lol :P

that would be one of the better choices. honestly. between that and a mid sized japan studio would be the best things to go with.

I see people mention From Software, but From Software was purchased by Kadokawa Corporation back in 2014 (They make a lot of stuff ranging from Anime, Manga and Movies). So I don't think Sony could get From Software.