By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - the Which Studio Sony Should Acquire Next thread.

Sony doesn't need to buy studios, they need to create new teams inside the studios they already have. Create teams inside the same studio is a much better aproach for someone whit as many studios as sony since costs are lower, the teams can colaborate to deliver more polished games and the studios "pedigree" ( that naugthy dog logo make the game way more attractive ) can be used to generate more sales for new ip.

Exception: If a big name developer, like kojima, comes to sony and ask for a new studio, than sony needs to create a new studio for this guy! "kojima" level developers are rare and sell games by just putting their names in the credits, if they wants to work whit sony exclusives sony must create a studio for the guy or colaborate whit it to create the game.

Prediction: In 5 years Nintendo will Lauch a "Core Mario game"  very similar to Astro Bot. That said, many will Ignore Astro Bot existence and say Nintendo created this concept.

Around the Network
Veknoid_Outcast said:

I'd be fine if Sony took over under-performing studios that share its design philosophy: story and characters above all else. So maybe what's left of Ready at Dawn? Quantic Dream? Dontnod? Fullbright, maybe?

I do not want the publisher to purchase a studio like Insomniac or From Software. I think being more beholden to Sony would be a negative thing. Plus, the PlayStation ecosystem is going to get exclusive games from those partners anyway.

@ bold: Why would it be a negative thing? If anything, Sony are quite hands off and give enough creative freedom to their own studios while bankrolling their projects. Case in point Guerrilla Games and their transition from an FPS type of studio to making something like Horizon. Or the fact that Polyphony seems to have free reign to create 1 full game per console generation and no heads roll.

So, yeah... what's the negative there? 

Ready at Dawn because I want a new The Order:1886 sequel!!!

setsunatenshi said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

I'd be fine if Sony took over under-performing studios that share its design philosophy: story and characters above all else. So maybe what's left of Ready at Dawn? Quantic Dream? Dontnod? Fullbright, maybe?

I do not want the publisher to purchase a studio like Insomniac or From Software. I think being more beholden to Sony would be a negative thing. Plus, the PlayStation ecosystem is going to get exclusive games from those partners anyway.

@ bold: Why would it be a negative thing? If anything, Sony are quite hands off and give enough creative freedom to their own studios while bankrolling their projects. Case in point Guerrilla Games and their transition from an FPS type of studio to making something like Horizon. Or the fact that Polyphony seems to have free reign to create 1 full game per console generation and no heads roll.

So, yeah... what's the negative there? 

The negative is Sony. It has a spotty publishing record, and I'd rather some of my favorite independent studios, which are doing fantastically and ALREADY providing exclusive content for PlayStation, maintain their independence. It's a win-win. Honestly, I don't want to see another Sony Liverpool, or Evolution, or Guerrilla Cambridge. Check out this quote from Tom Jones, who was jettisoned with the rest of Cambridge:

"Traditionally, being part of Sony pushing new hardware has challenges. Chasing that hardware developing and keeping up with that is very tricky. Often, artistically, you have to make compromises here and there and make concessions where you don't feel you have to..."

Plus, I think Sony's "entertainment DNA" is a bit at odds with studios like Insomniac or From Software. As someone who is turned off by cinematic action games and narrative-driven titles, I don't want to see some of my favorites pick up any bad habits.

Kojima Production, Blue Point, Imsomniac, of From Software

Around the Network
V-r0cK said:

Owning RAD or not has nothing to do with whether we get a sequel to The Order.

If Sony hasn't commissioned a sequel already, they sure as well won't if they bought them.

twintail said:
V-r0cK said:

If Sony hasn't commissioned a sequel already, they sure as well won't if they bought them.

*sigh.... I know...i just want a sequel T_T

Love reading people in support of trying to make monopolies.

Azuren said:
First of all, FromSoftware. From has always loved working with Sony, and becoming first party of the grounds that they deliver three killer apps each generation would apparently be easy for FroSof. Not only would this land them the Soulsborne team in general, but also Armored Core.

Second, Bluepoint. They've already shown with SotC that they can translate timeless classics into the modern generation. I feel like their remastering skills could set a new standard.

Third, Insomniac, because we don't need another mishap like Sunset Overdrive being stranded on Xbox Island, away from the fans who would have appreciated it. Also it seems weird not having the Ratchet team in house.

And finally, Kojima Productions. Sony writes a blank check, Kojima delivers something unbelievable once a generation.

Insomniac has stated multiple times that they want to stay independent. And no, sunset overdrive wouldn't exist if it weren't for xbox, so your second point is moot anyways.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

V-r0cK said:
twintail said:

*sigh.... I know...i just want a sequel T_T

I feel you man... I would love one too... even if its just like DLC expansion so we get the story finalised, i would be ok with that.