By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Can NINTENDO make traditional home console that sells well?

Atleast 50 million?

Yes 25 38.46%

No 40 61.54%

Total:65
WhatATimeToBeAlive said:

In the future. And by selling well I mean atleast 50 million consoles.

This would most certainly require as good 3rd party support as Playstation/XBOX gets = the hardware should be as powerfull. I think that the majority of Playstation/XBOX audience prefers PlayStation/XBOX exclusives over NINTENDO's, so it would be hard to "cannibalize" their console sales. But powerfull hardware would allow NINTENDO to make games with "better" graphics, and if they focused more on story and characters than before, atleast part of the PlayStation/XBOX audience could move to NINTENDO.

This would obviously require investments to graphics and story (= new studios) and hardware. But I think that NINTENDO has to make these changes in the future, because their exclusives cant compete with the combined effect of 3rd party games and PlayStation(/XBOX) exlusives.

All consoles could be hybrid consoles in the future, but the other points that I made also stand true in that situation.  

ummm what??

First off why would they want to when they can instead make a single system that does both home and handheld and thus sells more.

Secondly do we really need 3 systems that are the same?? I don't think so.

Thirdly, I find it funny that you think Sony/Xbox fans buy those systems for story haha. The biggest games are the same call of duty game and the same sports games every year. Not exactly story rich.

The only thing that Nintendo doesn't have (besides graphics) is huge third party support. But they also make up for some of that by having by the fact that Nintendo is by far the best game dev company on the planet, still they alone can't match all the missing third party support, but it does go a long way. Look at it the other way, Xbox and PS fans will never get to play the games from the best studio on the planet unless they buy Nintendo.

Just seems like a weird question to ask. Sony and Xbox have found their niche us focusing on graphics. Nintendo has found its niche of focusing on innovation. Generally only one company wins the graphics war and usually it is Sony - by graphics war I just mean the most popular system that goes after only better graphics. Nintendo always wins the innovation war (when they actually have good innovation) because they're the only ones competing.

Around the Network
Ulternia said:
It depends on how they handle it. If it was a traditional home console with similar specs to the competition and home entertainment capabilities, they’d probably crush the other companies. The only things holding them back now are third-Party support, traditional controllers and streaming/online capabilities.

If the console was underpowered and had difficult controllers, it would do even worse than the Wii U.

they did with n64, and gamecube. the problem with nintendo home consoles is that they are no longer a desired product, home most sale based on third party games, and those big franchises have never been established on a nintedo home console.

If the Switch continues to sell like well and increase brand recognition beyond what the WiiU left it as, it is possible.

They would actually have to go all in and make something as powerful as the PS5 though. I think with MS struggling, they could become Sony's main competitor in that space again.

The question is WILL they do this however, and I think the answer is no. They own the hybrid market due to their handheld dominance, so I feel like they will continue to explore that avenue instead.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Of course they could but that would hurt their pride since they won't get to be edgy by making risky hardware.

They could but why should they do it? They already have a monopoly on the hybrid/handheld market.

Around the Network

I think it seems silly to assume Sony/MS won't jump on the hybrid wagon in the future since the concept has been so huge for Switch. It seems far more like the future of gaming than a gimmick like motion controls.

You mean a traditional Sony or Microsoft console - one that is basically a box with no hardware innovation, just power updates.

Nintendo’s traditional consoles have always been about innovation that expands how a player plays a game, and improving intuitive nature of the interface.

The Gamecube, Wii U, and the 3DS are the exceptions.
To a lesser extent, the N64 can be seen as an exception - due to the bulky odd shape of the controller and 6 face buttons. it was kind of a mixed bag, while its added controls weren’t necessarily intuitive like the SNES’s shoulder buttons - it did add an analog stick and two additional controller ports, and the s-trigger worked great on shooters.

In fact, we have an example of Nintendo making a Playstation console - the Gamecube- and it was a disaster. Anyone who wanted a console like that already had PS2. The Gamecube became known as the “lil bro console” — basically, a PS2 for your dorky sideways baseball-capped kid brother. It was a disaster; Nintendo should stick to their own traditional formula, not Sony’s; besides, there’s not much room for market growth in that sector, Microsoft already captured the imitation playstation market, thoroughly.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 28 May 2018

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

quickrick said:
Ulternia said:
It depends on how they handle it. If it was a traditional home console with similar specs to the competition and home entertainment capabilities, they’d probably crush the other companies. The only things holding them back now are third-Party support, traditional controllers and streaming/online capabilities.

If the console was underpowered and had difficult controllers, it would do even worse than the Wii U.

they did with n64, and gamecube. the problem with nintendo home consoles is that they are no longer a desired product, home most sale based on third party games, and those big franchises have never been established on a nintedo home console.

The N64 and GameCube were pure gaming devices. The PSOne and PS2 were gaming devices and home media consoles with the PSOne being an incredibly cheap (yet considered one of the GOAT) CD players. The PS2 was an incredibly cheap DVD player. Sony didn’t get to where they are just from “big franchises” - they got there by revolutionizing the home entertainment you can get from a cheap console. If Nintendo truly wanted to compete and put out a console capable of home entertainment, Sony would be in the same pickle Microsoft is in now. Sony’s current first-party Line-up, although growing and improving, pales in comparison to Nintendo’s and if they didn’t have the advantages of third-Party support, home entertainment capabilities and ergonomic controls over Nintendo, I don’t see what they’d have left - except their hardcore phones and a history of trophies.

But luckily, this will never happen and we won’t see Nintendo truly start to poach third parties until a Switch revision that upgrades the hardware.

Ulternia said:
quickrick said:

The N64 and GameCube were pure gaming devices. The PSOne and PS2 were gaming devices and home media consoles with the PSOne being an incredibly cheap (yet considered one of the GOAT) CD players. The PS2 was an incredibly cheap DVD player. Sony didn’t get to where they are just from “big franchises” - they got there by revolutionizing the home entertainment you can get from a cheap console. If Nintendo truly wanted to compete and put out a console capable of home entertainment, Sony would be in the same pickle Microsoft is in now. Sony’s current first-party Line-up, although growing and improving, pales in comparison to Nintendo’s and if they didn’t have the advantages of third-Party support, home entertainment capabilities and ergonomic controls over Nintendo, I don’t see what they’d have left - except their hardcore phones and a history of trophies.

But luckily, this will never happen and we won’t see Nintendo truly start to poach third parties until a Switch revision that upgrades the hardware.

You are really underestimating how popular the playstation brand is in the  home console  market. nintendo knows better thats why they don't even try to compete, just look at the wiiu, it couldn't even compete against 360/ps3 despite having all there features, and more. I hope nintendo does try so we can put the theory to rest.

AlfredoTurkey said:
Yes, they could. But the people in charge don't know how to do it. People like to point to N64 and Gamecube as examples of how they can't do it, but those two consoles had something "different" about them that hindered their success. The N64 used carts and had a funky controller and the Gamecube used mini-DVD disc and also had a funky controller that excluded two full sized analog sticks. It also didn't play DVD movies which was the standard at the time.

Imagine if Nintendo had released the PS4 as it currently is. Same design, same power, same everything, only it also had Nintendo exclusives. What the hell would Sony and Microsoft do to combat something like that? They'd get annihilated because you'd have the best third party versions AND Nintendo games in one box It would be the perfect console.

Um, Nintendo have the weakest online service so...