By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Detroit: Become Human Reviews: 79 Metacritic, 80 OpenCritic

yvanjean said:
CGI-Quality said:

When the majority of the scores result in an "80", then a 40 questionable. That's the point.

That why smart and informed consumers would actually read their reviews. Your only trying to discredit their opinion because people get emotionally attached to what they want the score should be. People writing these reviews are professional that have a reputation to maintain, they want go out f their way to make one bad review for click bait unless there where actually something they dint like with the game. They were probably over critical but they have a right to their opinion. Also, their two reviews have minor negative impact on ththe score once you get over 50 reviews. Once you played the game and read the reviews and a few other reviews by the reviewer ... then we can call in their questionable 40s review.

You must be living in a bubble to say reviewers are professionals that don't give scores for click bait....

I'll give one example... girl reviewed GT5 for a 4/10 with the justification that simulators are pointless and racing in circles is meaningless.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

I don't think quantic dream will ever top heavy rain.

VGPolyglot said:
Errorist76 said:

No you can’t. To justify a 4/10 the game must be a broken mess, which it isn’t.

Happy to see the user score at 8.7 atm.

Nope, assigning scores to games is completely arbitrary in the first place, as there is no standard metric at all for what the numbers entail. You may not agree with the 4/10 score, but that doesn't mean that it's invalid.

The arbitrary scoring of a game and having a standard metric of scoring a game are not mutually exclusive. A lack of standard metric opens the door to high variance, which isn't a good thing. It can be a problem if two reviews offer very similar opinions, but give a game numerically different scores. At that point, it's meaningless to even have numerical scores if they are less informative than the written reviews. This is not to say the number is more important than what is written, but if you want to involve numbers, then the numbers need to be more informative. Maintaining a more consistent standard will help achieve that goal.

Aura7541 said:
VGPolyglot said:

Nope, assigning scores to games is completely arbitrary in the first place, as there is no standard metric at all for what the numbers entail. You may not agree with the 4/10 score, but that doesn't mean that it's invalid.

The arbitrary scoring of a game and having a standard metric of scoring a game are not mutually exclusive. A lack of standard metric opens the door to high variance, which isn't a good thing. It can be a problem if two reviews offer very similar opinions, but give a game numerically different scores. At that point, it's meaningless to even have numerical scores if they are less informative than the written reviews. This is not to say the number is more important than what is written, but if you want to involve numbers, then the numbers need to be more informative. Maintaining a more consistent standard will help achieve that goal.

How are we going to reach a consistent standard though? The different sites/reviewers would have to collectively agree on a standardized meaning for their scores, which I do not see happening.

VGPolyglot said:
Errorist76 said:

It just shows me that the so called reviewer is not working professionally, that is all. Therefore I’m free to disregard his so called work.

Around the Network
Errorist76 said:
VGPolyglot said:

It just shows me that the so called reviewer is not working professionally, that is all. Therefore I’m free to disregard his so called work.

Well, sure, you can disregard it if you'd like.

DonFerrari said:
yvanjean said:

That why smart and informed consumers would actually read their reviews. Your only trying to discredit their opinion because people get emotionally attached to what they want the score should be. People writing these reviews are professional that have a reputation to maintain, they want go out f their way to make one bad review for click bait unless there where actually something they dint like with the game. They were probably over critical but they have a right to their opinion. Also, their two reviews have minor negative impact on ththe score once you get over 50 reviews. Once you played the game and read the reviews and a few other reviews by the reviewer ... then we can call in their questionable 40s review.

You must be living in a bubble to say reviewers are professionals that don't give scores for click bait....

I'll give one example... girl reviewed GT5 for a 4/10 with the justification that simulators are pointless and racing in circles is meaningless.

Reviewers used to be professionals. Not anymore though, at least not many. Yours is the perfect example.

Last edited by Errorist76 - on 28 May 2018

Errorist76 said:
VGPolyglot said:

It's common sense that Detroit: Become Human isn't 4/10? Video games are completely subjective, you can give a 4/10 and still be perfectly right because nobody can discredit it.

One of the reviewer is using a 5 point scale .... so 2/5 just mean he dint really enjoy it .... broken game would be either 0/5 or 1/5.

DonFerrari said:
yvanjean said:

Reviews won’t get a good reputation & remain in the industry long if they don’t have a level of professionalism, they will get called out or discredited by their peers and readers. Everything they write is available for all to see & will affect their portfolio. They need a fan base to remain relevant and that fan base will held them accountable. 

Metacritic only have approved reviewers so they have a standard to maintain.

As for your example who was the reviewer and where is she now? Probably not writing reviews.

DonFerrari said:
yvanjean said:

Are you also going to downgrade the 3 review sites that gave the game a 95/100? If so than your point is valid, if you are just going to nit pick the 2 low scores than you need to nit pick the 2,3 high scores as well.

In fact why even review the game, seems like everyone needs to have the same opinion, lets all just give the game a 9/10 because anyone else with a different opinion should not be allowed to review a game.

I am loving SOD2, I couldn't care less that its sitting on a 68 meta, just play the game if you enjoy it.