By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Best N64 game not by Nintendo or Rare

Off the top of my head, Bomberman Hero. I like a few others such as Cruis'n USA and the Snowboard Kids games. I would like to play Tactics Ogre, Quest 64 or Holy Magic Century as it is known in these parts, X-treme G, Doom 64 and a few others but outside of the Nintendo owned stuff and the Rareware games I don't think there was much above average on N64.

Last edited by Landale_Star - on 24 May 2018

Around the Network

Rogue Squadron, been a while since i played that.

Rush 2 for me. Absolutely loved that game! Loved the diversity of the cars, the tracks and the key and can collecting mechanic. It was almost impossible to collect all keys and cans on all the tracks. I only managed to do it on 1 of my many playthroughs and it took me months!

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

Bristow9091 said:
Jumpin said:

Wait, are people trolling or did you actually like Quest 64?

Personally speaking, I thought it was one of the worst RPGs I have ever played... and I’ve played A LOT of RPGs in my time. Also, one of the worst N64 games, although the list of N64 games is very short, shorter than Gamecube even.

Mcube said:

Im gonna guess everyone is trolling since its well known as one of the shittiest N64 games ever made. 

Nope, not trolling, just because other people think it's "one of the shittiest N64 games ever made" doesn't mean I do... people also think Knack is one of the worst PS4 games yet I rate it rather highly, so y'know... opinons and all that.

Wyrdness said:

You need serious help for saying this.

And yet you're the one mocking me based on an opinion, yeeeaaah... pretty sure I'm not the one that needs serious help here.

Baddman said:

as did I. It was my first n64 game. I really enjoyed my time with it. I was surprised to see how much others thought it was shit years later when I went online and saw reviews.

It was one of my first N64 games too, and back then I thought it was brilliant, even after revisiting it five years ago, as I said, I still enjoyed myself... I had no idea at the time it was supposed to be hated and apparently liking the game either meant you were a freak or a troll or something. Honestly, half the people that say these things, I feel like they're just following the crowd because it's the cool thing to do, I reckon it's safe to say the majority of people on the internet who claim it's the worst N64 game, or worst game ever, or whatever, have never actually played it, lol. 

Its a joke especially poking fun at the latter part in your post as the context doesn't come off as serious at all.

Last edited by Wyrdness - on 24 May 2018

I'm gonna go with Turok 2, Rogue Squadron, the THQ Wrestling games, and Tony Hawk. All of those were awesome.

Around the Network

I think Quest 64 / Holy Magic Century desperately needed a second party member. Then it would have been really good but with only one dude it was a bit tedious. And I somehow disliked that you practically needed to level up Water as fast as possible for the Cure spells.

I'm kinda torn between Doom 64 and Turok 1 & 2 myself. The latter two in particular are cool in that they were made by many of the predecessors of Retro Studios and contain a lot of the DNA that would go on to form the foundation of Metroid Prime; namely a first person action game with an emphasis on exploration, platforming, and an effort to make you feel like more of a character than a disembodied camera by use of subtle head sway.

Also really liked Snowboard Kids.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 25 May 2018

Winback, bitches!

Yes I was serious about Quest 64, enjoyed the elemental powers and simplistic turned based battle system.

Hexen was also way up there. It ran similar to Doom, and I cooped it with my uncle. Countless hours and eventually beat it.

I also enjoyed Shadow man on Dreamcast, but was recently gifted it on 64 by my son (I can still hear the soundtrack running through my head on sleepless nights). 95 through 99 were not bad years for me for gaming.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Bristow9091 said:
Jumpin said:

Wait, are people trolling or did you actually like Quest 64?

Personally speaking, I thought it was one of the worst RPGs I have ever played... and I’ve played A LOT of RPGs in my time. Also, one of the worst N64 games, although the list of N64 games is very short, shorter than Gamecube even.

Mcube said:

Im gonna guess everyone is trolling since its well known as one of the shittiest N64 games ever made. 

Nope, not trolling, just because other people think it's "one of the shittiest N64 games ever made" doesn't mean I do... people also think Knack is one of the worst PS4 games yet I rate it rather highly, so y'know... opinons and all that.

Wyrdness said:

You need serious help for saying this.

And yet you're the one mocking me based on an opinion, yeeeaaah... pretty sure I'm not the one that needs serious help here.

Baddman said:

as did I. It was my first n64 game. I really enjoyed my time with it. I was surprised to see how much others thought it was shit years later when I went online and saw reviews.

It was one of my first N64 games too, and back then I thought it was brilliant, even after revisiting it five years ago, as I said, I still enjoyed myself... I had no idea at the time it was supposed to be hated and apparently liking the game either meant you were a freak or a troll or something. Honestly, half the people that say these things, I feel like they're just following the crowd because it's the cool thing to do, I reckon it's safe to say the majority of people on the internet who claim it's the worst N64 game, or worst game ever, or whatever, have never actually played it, lol. 

Or it legitimately is actually a very bad game lol? Not saying you cant like it but its one of the shittier games on the N64 according to most people. I cant really judge I guess since i´ve only played like 2 hours of it 3 years ago on an emulator and then shut it off.