By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 Sets April Sales Records For Software (Since 1995) Hardware (Since 2009)

CGI-Quality said:
pitzy272 said:

I’m not so sure it did sell poory. I just saw this article recently. Four months after TO 1886’s release, the CEO said, “we are well on our way to achieving the sales performance that we sought.”

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps4-s-the-order-1886-well-on-its-way-to-meeting-sa/1100-6427891/

Interesting! Admittedly, I hadn't seen that. Much of the assumption came from Sony 'letting them go' and the harsh critic reception.

Yeah, I hadn’t seen it either! It’s ironic that I found that article last week. I assumed the same thing for the same reasons, so I was pleasantly surprised to see otherwise. I hope Sony allows RaD another go at The Order. I couldn’t make it past like an hour, but the foundation and the story had a lot of potential. 

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
pitzy272 said:

I’m not so sure it did sell poory. I just saw this article recently. Four months after TO 1886’s release, the CEO said, “we are well on our way to achieving the sales performance that we sought.”

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps4-s-the-order-1886-well-on-its-way-to-meeting-sa/1100-6427891/

Interesting! Admittedly, I hadn't seen that. Much of the assumption came from Sony 'letting them go' and the harsh critic reception.

I feel that the order not getting a sequel had more to do with it's perceived failings from a game play perspective rather than it's sales performance , a new IP needs some form of momentum coming from either great sales ,critical praise or a  publishers belief that there was enough  potential to overcome it's reputation going forward. none of these factors fell the way  the developers would have hoped for.

There's all ways hope, who know's,Sony may well feel that they are better equipped  at this point in time to handle a return to The Order then again it could be a ship that's already sailed.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

CGI-Quality said:
DonFerrari said:

Seems like we meet on a middle ground of bomb and success, with something that achieved their target but not enough for sony to want to keep with them. So for that purpose it could be said that it bombed.

It's a franchise that should get another go. 

They gave Knack, GOTY, another go, why not to The Order, right?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Shadow1980 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Thanks for posting this chart.  Wow, what happened to the Wii in 2008?  I wouldn't have even thought they would sell that much due to normal supply limitations.

Mario Kart Wii was released in April 2008.

Also, the supply situation for the Wii was intermittent. It actually steadily improved in sales from April to October of 2007 without any sort of price drop, which suggests steadily improving stock. Then in the Nov. '07 - Jan. '08 period, it wasn't really doing considerably better than the 360, with Q4 '07 having an abnormally low percentage of the year's sales, suggesting insufficient stock during the holidays. Then sales started to rapidly spike in Feb. 2008, with the Wii posting the best non-holiday sales of any home console ever in the U.S., selling a whopping 5.7 million units from Feb. to Oct. that year. The only thing that comes close to that was the PS2, which sold 4.52M in the Jan.-Oct. period of 2002.

Thanks for the explanation.  This was before I started following the data, but I remember Wii being supply constrained for the first couple of years.  Basically Nintendo started ramping up supply in 2008 and all the pent up demand resulted in huge sales.  (Also the release of Mario Kart sure didn't hurt sales either.)

2018 and 2019 will be the paradise for gamers, thanks PlayStation! :)
The sales figures are absolutely earned.

Around the Network

God of War with 5 million units now after one month !!

This is SPAAAARTAAAA :P (i love the movie 300, Kratos would be a good character for this movie and a cool partner for the king xD)

DonFerrari said:

I can't remember an AAA 1st party SP focused game that bombed for PS4...

I don't know if Gravity Rush 2 counts as AAA (it has gorgeous graphics and a lot of content), but I doubt that it met sales expectations. :(

Gravity Rush Remastered & Gravity Rush 2 are two of my favorite PS4 games, but I fear that we will never see a Gravity Rush 3 or Gravity Rush VR.

KazumaKiryu said:

God of War with 5 million units now after one month !!

This is SPAAAARTAAAA :P (i love the movie 300, Kratos would be a good character for this movie and a cool partner for the king xD)

Hurray and confirm what some said about first month.

Conina said:
DonFerrari said:

I don't know if Gravity Rush 2 counts as AAA (it has gorgeous graphics and a lot of content), but I doubt that it met sales expectations. :(

Gravity Rush Remastered & Gravity Rush 2 are two of my favorite PS4 games, but I fear that we will never see a Gravity Rush 3 or Gravity Rush VR.

I don't think it qualifies as AAA even if a good game.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Conina said:
DonFerrari said:

Gravity Rush 2 is not a AAA-Game ^^ I think the developer is currently working on another new game, but not Gravity Rush 3.

Maybe someday... hope it for you.