By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - NPD (US): God of War had the best debut month ever for a PlayStation exclusive

Bristow9091 said:
DonFerrari said:

Nope, game have a very good shot on the 8-10M and could even go higher, just don't think 15M high as some are already expecting.

Not once did I say 15m... o.O 

Didn't say you did. Just that some are now expecting 15M at least on one of the GoW threads there were 12 to 15M expectations.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Aeolus451 said:
RolStoppable said:

San Andreas released on October 26th 2004, so it had five or six days of tracking. Also, since some time NPD emphasizes revenue over unit sales, so if the same metric is used in this comparison, God of War holds an obvious advantage due to the higher game price today than back then, plus the existence of various special editions which wasn't a common practice over a decade ago.

San Andreas sold 5.1m copies in the USA in 2004, but I couldn't find sales for the individual months of October, November and December. That's why it's unclear if the metric is revenue or unit sales in this comparison.

Both games were sold at full price.

San Andreas was $50, God of War is $60.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Bristow9091 said:
VGPolyglot said:
Impressive, I wish we had actual numbers provided by then though.

Yeah just some sort of numbers would be great, we know it sold 3m in its first week, but would be great to get another update... although if it's still selling so well, maybe Sony will say something about it at E3, which, if it does happen, will be the next time we hear anything about sales, lol :P One thing is for sure though, lifetime sales will be higher than the majority of people predicted... those 10m+ predictions don't seem too high now, do they :p 

@bold

Yeah, this is exactly what I’ve been thinking Sony will do. It’s so close to E3, I figured they’d save their next sales announcement for then. 

zorg1000 said:
Aeolus451 said:

Both games were sold at full price.

Was San Andreas really 50 on the ps2 when it launched? I tried to find the pricing but couldn't find anything. 

Aeolus451 said:
zorg1000 said:

Was San Andreas really 50 on the ps2 when it launched? I tried to find the pricing but couldn't find anything. 

Yes, $50 was the standard price of PS2 games.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Bristow9091 said:

Yeah just some sort of numbers would be great, we know it sold 3m in its first week, but would be great to get another update... although if it's still selling so well, maybe Sony will say something about it at E3, which, if it does happen, will be the next time we hear anything about sales, lol :P One thing is for sure though, lifetime sales will be higher than the majority of people predicted... those 10m+ predictions don't seem too high now, do they :p 

Nope, game have a very good shot on the 8-10M and could even go higher, just don't think 15M high as some are already expecting.

IMHO, thinking GoW could end with 8, 9, or even 10 million at this point is ludicrous. Horizon sold probably around half of what GoW sold in its first 3 days (2.7mil in 2 weeks), and 2 other important facts:  Horizon sold 7.6mil in one year and GoW’s legs have been much better than Horizon’s. 

Like elazz said, based on the confirmed percentage drops we’ve seen for GoW week to week, it’s likely GoW sold 5-6mil after it’s 3rd week (only 17 days). 

pitzy272 said:
DonFerrari said:

IMHO, thinking GoW could end with 8, 9, or even 10 million at this point is ludicrous. Horizon sold probably around half of what GoW sold in its first 3 days (2.7mil in 2 weeks), and 2 other important facts:  Horizon sold 7.6mil in one year and GoW’s legs have been much better than Horizon’s. 

Like elazz said, based on the confirmed percentage drops we’ve seen for GoW week to week, it’s likely GoW sold 5-6mil after it’s 3rd week (only 17 days). 

Not all games have the same sales curve. So even though from what we now the drop week to week for the first weeks is smaller it could have a bigger drop after.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
JRPGfan said:

If it did 2m+ in the US in 10days... worldwide what? ~5m?

I wonder how high it is now?....
Anyways its clear that God of War is gonna do big lifetime numbers, so a sequel will come at some point.

We got something like 3M in first week WW from SSM disclosure.

more than 3.1m WW in its first 3days..... Im guessing 10days of sales has to be ~5m.

great numbers, well deserved.

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

DonFerrari said:
Bristow9091 said:

Not once did I say 15m... o.O 

Didn't say you did. Just that some are now expecting 15M at least on one of the GoW threads there were 12 to 15M expectations.

I predicted 15+ million lifetime in my thread.

I still thinks it’s definitely possible.

Predicted 15+ million lifetime-sales for God of War:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=234612&page=1