Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Best Nintendo Remake?

What is your favorite Nintendo Remake?

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D 9 15.79%

Super Mario All-Stars 10 17.54%

Metroid: Samus Returns 13 22.81%

Mario Kart 8 DX 2 3.51%

Kirby Super Star Ultra 2 3.51%

Metroid: Zero Mission 7 12.28%

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D 1 1.75%

Super Mario 64 DS 0 0.00%

The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD 10 17.54%

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD 3 5.26%

Total:57

Mario Kart 8 DX for mainly one simple reason. they took the original game, identified every flaw it had, fixed all of those flaws, and then added new content to increase the longevity of the game. its the perfect upgrade, and i honestly think ive put more hours into DX than i did the original

Around the Network
spemanig said:
captain carot said:

And i disagree on remakes of games like Super Metroid. It doesn't need a remake, but if it got one, it could work quite well.

I'd honestly prefer Nintendo to do a new 2D Metroid though.

Not much point addressing the dungeon thing at this point, but I think Super Metroid especially would be demonstrably worse if remade. Not just because of the culture that is developing these games now, but because there really is not much to change. The game plays perfectly. It's levels are designed perfectly. Unlike many games of its era, it's not obtuse - like you can still beat it without a guide. It still looks good, to the point where I genuinely think it would look worse in 3D. I even think it might look worse with drawn art, unless it had a HUGE budget and painstaking measures were taken to make sure it didn't deviate from the concept art of the original game. I don't even think a remake with new pixel art would look better because any change in style or tone or pallet would ruin it. I think the best remake of Super would be a remaster that barely touched the visuals and didn't touch the mechanics what-so-ever. I used to think one improvement would be a second-screen map, but even that is something I think would make the game worse, because it would move your focus from the world to the map.

I honestly think the only things I'd change in a Super Metroid remaster if it ever happened, is making it 16:9, adding the option of remastered music, and fixing that shitty door in Tourian that locks you inside the endgame (where you can even get stuck without being able to beat the game if you know how, though no first-time player would ever manage to do that). Maybe tweak the Grapple Beam mechanics too, because that thing is broken as hell, and, that's about it really.

You could for example give it a handdrawn 2D look with the option to switch over to the traditional graphics, basically what the Aniiversary Halos did.
Right now i'dprefer a Samus Returns Switch port though, basically because i dislike the 3DS ergonomically.

Rocketjay8 said:
captain carot said:

No offense, but i really think you're to young to realisze how great Ocarina of Time really was at it's time. Even compared to PC-games of that time. It was a real milestone in many ways at it's time.

Today it's at least very playable. While most 3D games of that era feel like crap today.

You know I do find it odd that people claim OoT to be the greatest game of all time yet it can't be criticised by people who didn't grow up with said game.

Because its very much a game that broke grounds. The formula has been laid out now and now it doesnt have the same impact it had back then. Its still one of the best ever made but when it was released it was easily the best in every aspect it could have been in. If you played it when it released it was the best and probably will always be the best you have ever played.

Being strict with the remake concerpt I have to go with Metroid: Samus Returns

Around the Network
Rocketjay8 said:
captain carot said:

No offense, but i really think you're to young to realisze how great Ocarina of Time really was at it's time. Even compared to PC-games of that time. It was a real milestone in many ways at it's time.

Today it's at least very playable. While most 3D games of that era feel like crap today.

You know I do find it odd that people claim OoT to be the greatest game of all time yet it can't be criticised by people who didn't grow up with said game.

You can criticise it for a lot of things. The stoytelling was already underwhelming compared to other action adventures back then, it's way more so now.

At the same time you just have to realize, how great many things, especially the whole controls and combat mechanics were at the time of OoT`s release.

In many ways there was nothing comparable, not even on PC.

captain carot said:
Rocketjay8 said:

You can criticise it for a lot of things. The stoytelling was already underwhelming compared to other action adventures back then, it's way more so now.

At the same time you just have to realize, how great many things, especially the whole controls and combat mechanics were at the time of OoT`s release.

In many ways there was nothing comparable, not even on PC.

When you sum it up the story is underwhelming but the way it introduced new characters and how it drives the story forward and seeing the destruction of Hyrule first hand hadnt been done before.