By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - I'm tired of this overemphasis on diversity spilling into our entertainment.

DonFerrari said:
VGPolyglot said:

And how does having a higher proportion of blacks in the game than Montana diminish the enjoyment of the game?

Doesn't diminish at all. But he is just saying that forced diversity bothers him as a concept.

It seems the issue is more that white people aren't having as much of a monopoly as they used to.

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
DonFerrari said:

Doesn't diminish at all. But he is just saying that forced diversity bothers him as a concept.

It seems the issue is more that white people aren't having as much of a monopoly as they used to.

That is an assumption, but from OP perhaps that bothers him even if he isn't saying it.

I'm considered white although heritage is 3/4 black and never bothered with representation, as I said I bother more with SJW and forcing devs to obey their agenda... pandering bother me only when they change chars for it, now if someone made a movie in USA with only black people I wouldn't care at all (even if all movies in the year were like that). I love a lot of "black only" series like Fresh Prince, My wife and Kids and Everybody Hates Chris (never seem complains about lack of diversity there and I don't bother if they don't represent demographics with precision). I only care when chars are retconned or ignored for pandering.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
VGPolyglot said:

That is an assumption, but from OP perhaps that bothers him even if he isn't saying it.

I'm considered white although heritage is 3/4 black and never bothered with representation, as I said I bother more with SJW and forcing devs to obey their agenda... pandering bother me only when they change chars for it, now if someone made a movie in USA with only black people I wouldn't care at all (even if all movies in the year were like that). I love a lot of "black only" series like Fresh Prince, My wife and Kids and Everybody Hates Chris (never seem complains about lack of diversity there and I don't bother if they don't represent demographics with precision). I only care when chars are retconned or ignored for pandering.

SJWs don't "force" devs to obey their agenda, it's entirely the publishers'/devs' decision on whether or not they are going to go that route.

bugrimmar said:

FentonCrackshell said:
So which way can diversity be put into something for it not be seen as "forced"? Because whenever even something isn't lead by a SWM its always seem as pushing something "down our throats". I remember a hospital show starring Jada Pinkett Smith some years ago that featured a black female Nurse lead, her Indian best friend, and white male doctor. This is probably a great many hospitals with a staff like this but people called it "forced diversity". It's pretty much whenever a cast isn't 90% white with a token minority that this sort of complaint occurs. I really don't GAF if there's diversity or not. If it's good I'll watch it. But many of you have to admit you all steer clear of vehicles helmed by a mostly minority cast. It's why there's Asian/Black/Indian Cinema and no "White Cinema". White is seen as the norm and therefore needs no category. And if seeing "forced diversity" makes you less accepting of diversity then you were never doing to accept it in the first place.

But look, if it makes you softy non-minorities feel good please note that most of us are all FOS as you are. We cry about made up sh!t like "cultural appropriation". The folks who always point fingers and whine about this are the ones who have no issue with "forced diversity" (AKA real-life BTW). And the people who decry mentions of cultural appropriation will argue against more than 3 minorities in a cast of characters. Anyway, cultural appropriation is often mentioned by the same folks who want us to accepts each other's cultures and differences. But it seems this doesn't extend to white people. This is why Nicki Minaj, Beyoncé, etc. can wear blonde hair weave with no consequence but Kylie Jenner is lambasted for braiding her hair. It's why a white teenage girl is blasted for wearing an Asian dress to prom but Taraji P. Hensen (black woman) was cheered for wearing the same dress. It's all such bullsh!t! Things like this are why I've become so misanthropic. People are disgusting and find the most ridiculous things to use as division.

And I see a poster on here talking about how Horizon forced them to play as a woman and didn't give them a choice. GTFOH with that bullsh!t! What you wanna do is play as a SWM a la Nathan Drake and seeing the woman as the hero made you uncomfortable. Similar to how Chloe and Nadine as mains in Uncharted was met with "you expect us to believe 2 women can overpower an army" but SWM Nathan Drake did so for over a decade with nary an eye-roll. It's why I've had the argument that Zazie Beets' Domino has an impractical Afro and it's dumb because all bad guys have to do is grab her by her hair. As if they can't also grab Thor and Widow by the hair. People are absolutely full of steaming piles of sh!t! But feel free to say the same to me. Good day!

Look, captain no reading, all you have to do to fix your diversity problem is to NOT CHANGE EXISTING STORIES AND CHARACTERS just to fulfill your agenda. You have every right to make NEW STORIES AND NEW CHARACTERS. Just don't fucking change the ones we already like and we are already invested in. It's been mentioned in this thread so many times already. There's no problem with playing female or black characters. BUT DONT FORCE THEM INTO CHARACTERS THAT ARENT LIKE THAT. 

IF A CHARACTER WAS WRITTEN WHITE, THEN HES WHITE. IF HES STRAIGHT, HES STRAIGHT. IF HES A MAN, HES A MAN.

Just like you don't want people to mess with black, Asian, and female characters, it shouldn't be done to any characters at all. When Scarlett Johansson was cast in ghost in the shell, it was called whitewashing. I agreed and I thought it was a bad decision. But it's also a bad decision to turn the human torch black! It's also a bad decision to turn the Ghostbusters cast totally female without even a nod to the originals!

READ!

lol "captain no reading". That's fun. Anyway, what's odd is that I've read the posts and you're probably the one I most agree with. Because I agree that creating new characters is the way to go. However, most people don't feel this way and just don't like diversity in general. Look at posters talking about how Star Wars is bad because of diversity. As if the cast being white is what made it good in the first place. Or they'd like TLJ more if Rey were white male and Fin weren't black. Such nonsense! What does dive either have to do with the poor fan reception of TLJ?

No matter what there will always be negative reception to diversity. Nadine Ross was a new character in Uncharted and as soon as she was revealed people started griping about a black character. Even though her race plays no part in her story whatsoever. Just the fact that she's black set people off. So yeah, new character, new story, same bullsh!t. 

Horizon: Zero Dawn gave us a female lead who isn't a man-hating feminist and p pole still whined. And people went nuts over the fact that game is full of diverse characters. All new characters, with none of them playing that us vs. them crap. The game even explains why there's such diversity in the world and people still called it forced. Fact is people will always have these notions when they feel their way of life is being threatened. 99% of gaming and film are lead by SWM and seeing a slight change pisses those people off. And I don't need the hero to look like me for me to root for him/her. Most of my favorite characters, actors, and athletes are white. But seeing others play the role some Ike's is refreshing. Except for black Johnny Storm. That was beyond idiotic!

PC GAMING: BEST GAMES. WORST CONTROLS

A mouse & keyboard are made for sending email and typing internet badassery. Not for playing video games!!!

Honestly all this this complaining about diversity in entertainment is getting just as annoying as the SJW's whining about the lack of diversity.

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
Azuren said:

It's a fictional county in the real Montana. Representing Montana in any way as being even 10% black is a lie, and is thus diversity for diversity's sake.

And how does having a higher proportion of blacks in the game than Montana diminish the enjoyment of the game?

It doesn't, but how would having an accurate ratio of blacks in the game make it worse?

Again, the answer would be that it doesn't affect anything. Which begs the question: Why go with the diversity quotas rather than making the game's setting accurate?

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Azuren said:
VGPolyglot said:

It doesn't, but how would having an accurate ratio of blacks in the game make it worse?

Again, the answer would be that it doesn't affect anything. Which begs the question: Why go with the diversity quotas rather than making the game's setting accurate?

The TC is criticizing diversity in games, and not the other way around. So we are going based on the premise that diversity is bad, not that accuracy is good.

FentonCrackshell said:
bugrimmar said:

Look, captain no reading, all you have to do to fix your diversity problem is to NOT CHANGE EXISTING STORIES AND CHARACTERS just to fulfill your agenda. You have every right to make NEW STORIES AND NEW CHARACTERS. Just don't fucking change the ones we already like and we are already invested in. It's been mentioned in this thread so many times already. There's no problem with playing female or black characters. BUT DONT FORCE THEM INTO CHARACTERS THAT ARENT LIKE THAT. 

IF A CHARACTER WAS WRITTEN WHITE, THEN HES WHITE. IF HES STRAIGHT, HES STRAIGHT. IF HES A MAN, HES A MAN.

Just like you don't want people to mess with black, Asian, and female characters, it shouldn't be done to any characters at all. When Scarlett Johansson was cast in ghost in the shell, it was called whitewashing. I agreed and I thought it was a bad decision. But it's also a bad decision to turn the human torch black! It's also a bad decision to turn the Ghostbusters cast totally female without even a nod to the originals!

READ!

lol "captain no reading". That's fun. Anyway, what's odd is that I've read the posts and you're probably the one I most agree with. Because I agree that creating new characters is the way to go. However, most people don't feel this way and just don't like diversity in general. Look at posters talking about how Star Wars is bad because of diversity. As if the cast being white is what made it good in the first place. Or they'd like TLJ more if Rey were white male and Fin weren't black. Such nonsense! What does dive either have to do with the poor fan reception of TLJ?

No matter what there will always be negative reception to diversity. Nadine Ross was a new character in Uncharted and as soon as she was revealed people started griping about a black character. Even though her race plays no part in her story whatsoever. Just the fact that she's black set people off. So yeah, new character, new story, same bullsh!t. 

Horizon: Zero Dawn gave us a female lead who isn't a man-hating feminist and p pole still whined. And people went nuts over the fact that game is full of diverse characters. All new characters, with none of them playing that us vs. them crap. The game even explains why there's such diversity in the world and people still called it forced. Fact is people will always have these notions when they feel their way of life is being threatened. 99% of gaming and film are lead by SWM and seeing a slight change pisses those people off. And I don't need the hero to look like me for me to root for him/her. Most of my favorite characters, actors, and athletes are white. But seeing others play the role some Ike's is refreshing. Except for black Johnny Storm. That was beyond idiotic!

The gender and races of characters in the new Star Wars movies have nothing to do with them being poor as far as Star Wars movies go.  Rey and Finn are original characters, so Disney can make them whatever gender or race they want.  Black people existed in the original trilogy.  Finn is not a revolutionary character in the Star Wars universe.  Nor is a female main character.  I am aware of the backlash against the Mary Sue nature of Rey, but that's a bigger issue than Rey being female.  I do have an issue with both "The Force Awakens" and "The Last Jedi", but it goes way beyond race and gender of characters.  My biggest issue with the "The Force Awakens" is that it was a total and unoriginal retread of Star Wars, and I got that feeling immediately while watching it in theater opening weekend.  I don't need to see a shot for shot remake of Star Wars when I can just watch Star Wars.  Case in point, this weekend there was a Star Wars marathon on the FX channel.  I happened to miss the showing of the original Star Wars.  Instead of watching "The Force Awakens", I went into the On Demand and qued up Star Wars instead.  "The Last Jedi" has even more going against it, in that it just wasn't a very good movie.  There were completely out of place jokey scenes that just because they worked in "Guardians of the Galaxy", Disney is trying to force them into everything.  I'm talking about the kind of scenes that are hilarious in Seth McFarland's Family Guy Star Wars parodies or episodes of Robot Chicken, but have no business being in Star Wars.  Also, the 2 films are completely incongruous.  Every plotline JJ Abrams set up in TFA went nowhere or was reversed in TLJ.  Worst of all was the treatment of Mark Hamill.  They lied about how Luke would be used in the new trilogy to get him under contract.  They showed him a script where he would be heavily involved in the plotline of TFA only to reduce him to a wordless pre-credits scene, and then completely subverted the essence of his character in TLJ.  Those are my issues with the new Star Wars trilogy.  I just want a good Star Wars movie, and TLJ was completely underwhelming on that front.  

VGPolyglot said:
DonFerrari said:

SJWs don't "force" devs to obey their agenda, it's entirely the publishers'/devs' decision on whether or not they are going to go that route.

SJW are very ferocious in parading against those productions and pushing for their agenda.

FentonCrackshell said:
bugrimmar said:

READ!

The complain I have seem in this thread over SW, was that because of the SJW the woman had to be perfect and that made the movie boring, not that having a female lead was bad (and the comment was made by a woman)

Your comments on UC had no one in this thread talking about and the HZD just one person said he took out points because he could only play a female (critic which I don't agree)

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

People who think diversity is more forced than the usual are just seeing what happens when certain groups are no longer seen as a default in moves. A cast of straight white males are also just as much pandering and forced as a cast of diverse characters and is also done to capture a certain audience. We are simply in a world where that is no longer the case. Think about TV, a channel that is advertising to white people will have shows that white people want to watch, so the casts will be white in a percived move to make them more comfortable. Then someone who grew up with all their shows being white will just see it as normal and think diversity is forced. Let's stop this forced racial quotas in all white tv shows amirite?

As for "let's stop changing straight white male characters" it's not equivalent at al. Changing Lara Croft into a man is changing one of a relatively small number of female characters into a male. Making Spiderman black still leaves you with ten gorillion white superheroes and is comparitvely not a big deal. Not to mention, in the hundreds of years of media before now, 95% of the people were white because it was seen as the default. In a world that is more diverse, going back to these older properties, that's obviously gonna change as our sensibilities are different.

The problem is that people are looking at the world in some idealistic way where things are already equal and none of this is necessary because representation was and is never a problem and everyone was already treated equally, which is not the case. And even then, until we live in a post discrimination world, some of the diversity is gonna be forced. And really, who gives a shit if it is, to be honest. That doesnt really spea to the quality of the work or employee or actor at all.

Also several parts of the debate are a weak attempt to have your cake and eat it too, basically its "I want the creators to choose the best person for the job, but if the creators choose a minority then that's a problem because obviously it was forced"

This isnt directed at anyone specifically. But basically I disagree on every point.