By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Anti-spam Measures - Deployed

CrazyGamer2017 said:
VGPolyglot said:

I may end up studying in Beijing for one term next year, so I'll probably have to end up using a VPN to access the sites I want in the first place

I'm no legal expert but I think I have heard that in China VPN's are forbidden which makes sense. China is a dictatorship plain and simple. I don't know how that works IRL but don't expect to be able to use a VPN over there or what would be worse is you managing somehow to get a VPN over there and if you get caught by the authorities it could quickly become very serious for you, just saying.

Many people in China use VPNs, including YouTubers who openly admit it. I don't think their issue is foreigners using VPNs really, I guess if they try to spread it to the general Chinese population they may take issue with it though.

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
CrazyGamer2017 said:

I'm no legal expert but I think I have heard that in China VPN's are forbidden which makes sense. China is a dictatorship plain and simple. I don't know how that works IRL but don't expect to be able to use a VPN over there or what would be worse is you managing somehow to get a VPN over there and if you get caught by the authorities it could quickly become very serious for you, just saying.

Many people in China use VPNs, including YouTubers who openly admit it. I don't think their issue is foreigners using VPNs really, I guess if they try to spread it to the general Chinese population they may take issue with it though.

You should watch this video, the info about the issue at hand is interesting, especially if you plan to actually go to China.

But that said, let us know how it all goes for you when you get there. I hear a lot of stuff is blocked behind what is known as the Great Firewall of China but since dictatorships are not my cup of tea, I will probably never go there to see for myself.

One of VGC's great mysteries has been solved. Huzzah!

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Anyone getting quoted and it not turning up blue anymore?