By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Anti-spam Measures - Deployed

Darwinianevolution said:
I'm surprised this wave of spam passed without me noticing. It's been a while since I got spam on my messages or my wall.

Thank you for the new icons (included the "quoted" one, which you should see now)...   :)

Around the Network

I clicked on this from the front page multiple times and it sent me here
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=

Maxosaurus-rex said:
I clicked on this from the front page multiple times and it sent me here
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=

Fixed

Can you track The spammers IP address ? can mods do that ? then like block his computer from creating bots?

Cute and honest Sega Saturn fan, also noone should buy Sega grrrr, Sega for life. The reason I'm chaotic to few 3rd party developers is because I'm protecting Sega and also I lack skill to get really hot girl I really want. also few devs deserve it for making bad game's personal experiences, looking at Ghost Blade HD the shmup or Fighting EX Layer. My standards are too high for genres I play. KOF 13 > Fighting EX layer gameplay.

Wait ... what did happen exactly ?

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Around the Network
dx11332sega said:
Can you track The spammers IP address ? can mods do that ? then like block his computer from creating bots?

Well, we can block specific IP addresses - we've been doing that for a VERY long time (I think I implemented that feature like 10 years ago).

The problem is, when jackasses like this guy use a proxy (or are spoofing) the IP address - it becomes impossible to just ban an IP address. There's a number of checks in place now to identify (and hopefully block) this kind of garbage from now on, but the potential downside is inadvertently blocking a LEGITIMATE user in the process (which is the point of this thread). If you find that you're unable to access VGChartz, then it's important that you notify us...     

...all of this wasted effort because somebody has way too much time on their hands. And instead of using some of that excess time and energy to help with the website and offer ways we can improve things around here - it seems it was much more "exciting" to write scripts that blast juvenile messages on peoples walls and PM. What a shame and complete waste of life.

dx11332sega said:

We can track any address, but like Talon said, proxies (and the like) make things much more difficult. That's why we have a joint, Mod-Site Admin, act happening.

Thanks for the update! Really appreciated!

And don't see it as a complete waste of time, you implemented a useful and long term security fix that is sure to help the sure for quite a while.

Good work, it will be well worth the time you spent implementing it.

morenoingrato said:
Thanks for the update! Really appreciated!

And don't see it as a complete waste of time, you implemented a useful and long term security fix that is sure to help the sure for quite a while.

I agree with this. While it was a huge pain in the ass, I think that in the long run it will really help against spam.