By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - ThunderCats Roar (Yet another horrible cartoon reboot)

Darc Requiem said:
Mcube said:

I mean they wouldnt have cancelled it even if they got this cheap LEGO knockoff if it had good ratings. They might not have been terrible but in no way were the ratings good if they still got it totally removed.

EDIT: The biggest thing was apprantly the toys being absolute shit and not selling any because of how low quality they were. 

You seem to be ignorant to how Cartoon Network works. The Thundercats  2011 reboot suffered the same fate as Young Justice. The ratings were good but it didn't sell toys. This happened to several quality shows on Cartoon Network. 

Yes I understand that but if the show had amazing ratings it would have sold more toys. It all starts with people actually viewing the thing. Children dont want toys of something they have never seen before.  Also I already edited the message before you replied about what mainly killed it. The toys being shit quality and because of that noone wanting to buy em. 

Around the Network

Been a lot of heated discussion on this third Thundercats show online. Let me preface that I enjoyed the original Thundercats a lot growing up, I'd sit with my cheap Thundercats TV tray holding a bowl of cereal and watch every week as it ran in syndication long after its original run. The show went dormant for a long time and then there was the 2011 reboot which I liked a lot, but it got canceled because of budget issues.

When I saw the 2019 trailer nothing about it appealed to me. The animation look lazy and the tone seems to be shifting young, thinking under 7 crowd. The character designs are off putting and it all gives me the sense of a goofy spin off than a true series.

Talking points I've run into.

"It's not for you!" - Yes, it clearly wasn't made with me in mind. Me being the person that has affection for the characters and series. My reply is are you surprised when taking an existing property that fans compare it to what they loved and express why this doesn't measure up. I think telling large parts of potential audience to go away is just bad marketing. The next question is who is this for? I'm guessing very young children who have no attachment or knowledge of these characters, so why not make a new show in this tone and style? Ultimately time will tell, but I don't see how this stands out among other cartoons right now.

"You care about a kid's cartoon? Grow up!" - I care in the sense that I did watch it and got emotionally invested. I don't care in the sense it takes over my life. It doesn't take much effort to discuss a show. It also does bother me a bit how animation in the US is consistently downplayed as less serious because of the medium.

"You didn't support the old versions" - I did, but if there isn't a market I have to question why try again. My guess is people did support it, but it is a safer bet to crank out cheap animation and get X to watch than quality animation that requires 5X to watch.

Will I watch the 2019 version? No, I may see a clip or two online, but too many shows to be bothered by an unappealing reboot. Maybe there will be another Thundercats "for me" in 2028.

Darc Requiem said:

I found comparison images for the Original and 2011 series.

I remember playing with a broom pretending to be Cheetara.  The redesign in 2011 was amazing.

Mcube said:
Darc Requiem said:

You seem to be ignorant to how Cartoon Network works. The Thundercats  2011 reboot suffered the same fate as Young Justice. The ratings were good but it didn't sell toys. This happened to several quality shows on Cartoon Network. 

Yes I understand that but if the show had amazing ratings it would have sold more toys. It all starts with people actually viewing the thing. Children dont want toys of something they have never seen before.  Also I already edited the message before you replied about what mainly killed it. The toys being shit quality and because of that noone wanting to buy em. 

They wont ever get it. Theres a reason why TTGo is more popular now than Teen Titans was, and it will likely be the same for this new thundercats

Muda Muda Muda Muda Muda Muda!!!!

Arminillo said:
Mcube said:

They wont ever get it. Theres a reason why TTGo is more popular now than Teen Titans was, and it will likely be the same for this new thundercats

Pretty much. Teen Titans GO is what made their new formula: Use a beloved IP --> Make it as cheap as possible to produce --> ????? --> Profit. They did this with Teen Titans, Ben 10 and now ThunderCats. 

That Teen Titans GO is so succesfull it´s actually getting a theatrical release physically hurts me. 

Around the Network

Doesn't look too good. Never cared for 80s TC (cats are lame in real life) but I just looked up the 2011 TC and it looks amazing!

A shame that one was cancelled...

Mcube said:
Darc Requiem said:

No you still don't get it. The primary audience were children. The audience skewed older and most aren't interested in toys. In the case of Thundercats 2011. The primary audience was older. People like me that grew up with the original series. In the case of Young Justice they cancelled it because too many girls watched the show. Seriously they actually said this "girls don't buy toys."

Darc Requiem said:
Mcube said:

No you still don't get it. The primary audience were children. The audience skewed older and most aren't interested in toys. In the case of Thundercats 2011. The primary audience was older. People like me that grew up with the original series. In the case of Young Justice they cancelled it because too many girls watched the show. Seriously they actually said this "girls don't buy toys."

Thundercats 2011 wasnt watched nearly as much as you seem to think. Blaming it solely on toy sales is bullshit. It got pummeled around timeslots untill eventually it died a slow death. Pre production was started by the studio but CN already put it on hiatus before they pulled the plug on it. They never came out to say a second season was in full production. On topic of Young Justice they´re making a third season now. Im not sure what its gonna be on it was either Netflix or the DC streaming platform that is supposed to be launching sometime this year or next year. The fan base kept asking about it and thus it was revived. Thundercats seemingly didnt have the same pull as Young Justice did. There are multiple things that killed it. 

No marketing (For the toys or the show) 
They got moved into a dead slot which is why noone was watching the thing.
The toys were of absolute shit quality which is why noone bought it next to kids not seeing the show because of its dead slot so noone knew what it was. 
Some older fans were turned off by the love triangle thing so when you already have your older fanbase cut you can pretty much immediatly shake it. 
Lego was supposed to make a lego Thundercats line. They stopped doing it and said they had their own idea for a similair show called LEGO CHIMA which they would make their own toy line for. CN made a deal with them to get LEGO Chima which killed Thundercats 2011 off for good. 

There is a lot of shit you can blame for Thundercats getting screwed over but its not just because ´well kids didnt buy the toys´. Young Justice was cancelled purely because noone bought the toys. Young justice still had decent ratings they just replaced it with Teen Titans GO! because it was cheaper to produce. It coming back for a third season should tell you something about the interest that series has.