By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 Won April NPD ( PS4 > NSW > XBO)

TheBlackNaruto said:
Miyamotoo said:

Agree, it seems that Labo definitely didn't moved Switch hardware, but it will be interesting to pay attention Labo sales in following months especially during Holiday season when could move some units also.

I do not know much about Labo but I have seen the bolded multiple times so I have to ask. Why does Labo get a wait until basically next year before we can judge the sales of it? I mean an entire 8 months before the sales can be judged? Is it something else that is going to happen with it or something? Again I do not not much about it at all.....heck I don't even know what kind of game it is outside of that it is on the Switch to be honest lol. But I was just curious as to why it gets pretty much 8 months before anyone can judge the sales of it for real that is all.

Laincito said:

These data are false.

The origin of the mistake is to take the sales data in dollars as if they were in number of units, when the average selling price of the consoles is not the same.

And with the PS4, in the month of April with the bundle of WOW at  400$ and Far Cry 5, the average price has increased with respect to previous months, and obviously, it is above the average sale price of Switch in USA.

Therefore, really PS4 sold less than 1.92 times the switch, and their sales are much lower than the 326k that have been considered valid.

The sales difference has been much lower in the month of April in the USA in number of units.

I was sure that this data had been pretty much verified. Where did you get the info that it was incorrect from? I mean I see your calculations but that is also a guess as well. Also your posting style seems super familiar.....are you an ALT?

What Laincito is saying is not true. If the PS4 sold less than 326k units, then the PS4 would not have outperformed the Wii's April 2009 unit sales performance.

Around the Network
Laincito said:
TheBlackNaruto said:

I do not know much about Labo but I have seen the bolded multiple times so I have to ask. Why does Labo get a wait until basically next year before we can judge the sales of it? I mean an entire 8 months before the sales can be judged? Is it something else that is going to happen with it or something? Again I do not not much about it at all.....heck I don't even know what kind of game it is outside of that it is on the Switch to be honest lol. But I was just curious as to why it gets pretty much 8 months before anyone can judge the sales of it for real that is all.

I was sure that this data had been pretty much verified. Where did you get the info that it was incorrect from? I mean I see your calculations but that is also a guess as well. Also your posting style seems super familiar.....are you an ALT?

The data comes from the original post with the following information in volume sales:

PS4: 1.92
Switch: 1
XBox One: 0.79
3DS: 0.41

Then, one people, Lelouch0612 in ResetEra post:

PS4 : 326k
Switch : 171k
X1 : 134k
3DS : 70k

that follows the same proportion...;)

When the average price of Switch and PS4 is not the same, from there, everything else is wrong...

You realize that "volume" has nothing to do with the price, correct?

TheBlackNaruto said:
Miyamotoo said:

Agree, it seems that Labo definitely didn't moved Switch hardware, but it will be interesting to pay attention Labo sales in following months especially during Holiday season when could move some units also.

Because Labo is not standard game release it's far more toy than any other game on market, its aimed to kids/parents and offcourse kids/parents getting/buying most presents during holiday season, also Labo is kind of product that can gain popularity with time and word of month.

So the Switch sits 6th or 5th (can't tell if 360 is ahead or not) for second April in sales.

Shadow1980 said:
Farsala said:

Can you compare 2nd Aprils for Switch and the rest as well as 6th April to the rest for PS4?

Yes I can (and last month was actually the fifth April for the PS4 & XBO):

The PS2 was still getting a boost from Q1 2005 restock of the Slim, which suffered from severe shortages over the 2004 holiday season.

Here's that second one without the Wii:

The Switch is doing just fine, I think.

Thanks a lot.

PS3 and 360 5th April was considered pretty good at the time, but doesn't compare to the unique situations with PS4 and PS2.

2nd April's pretty standard except the outliers.

Around the Network
Train wreck said:
TheBlackNaruto said:

I came to the same conclusion.  It was reported that UNIT sales were the highest since 2009 and sales in DOLLARS terms was the highest since 2008 so I don't know how it can be below 326k when we have all the data to come to that conclusion.

I thought the same thing and was like maybe I missed something lol.

Aura7541 said:
TheBlackNaruto said:

What Laincito is saying is not true. If the PS4 sold less than 326k units, then the PS4 would not have outperformed the Wii's April 2009 unit sales performance.

Okay I knew that I couldn't be that crazy lol.

Miyamotoo said:
TheBlackNaruto said:

Because Labo is not standard game release it's far more toy than any other game on market, its aimed to kids/parents and offcourse kids/parents getting/buying most presents during holiday season, also Labo is kind of product that can gain popularity with time and word of month.

Okay I can understand that and can see it. But still for a toy(even if it is a game) to not be popular around release. And all of a sudden get big months later....it usually doesn't happen. That usually happens with things that are in high demand and then go on sale around the Holidays. Not saying it is impossible but it is just not the norm I guess. Now I am not one of those people that have called Labo sales bad at all and have not followed it close enough to know it sold good or bad. But I was just curious as to why it was getting such  a huge pass and window for it to sale as compared to other games that was all.

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

Miyamotoo said:
TheBlackNaruto said:

games can as well, and i would say they have a much better chance then labo. labo is just not a hit product, and holidays aint gonna change that. guess what video games are aimed at kids and parents as well.

Last edited by quickrick - on 23 May 2018

TheBlackNaruto said:
Miyamotoo said:

Okay I can understand that and can see it. But still for a toy(even if it is a game) to not be popular around release. And all of a sudden get big months later....it usually doesn't happen. That usually happens with things that are in high demand and then go on sale around the Holidays. Not saying it is impossible but it is just not the norm I guess. Now I am not one of those people that have called Labo sales bad at all and have not followed it close enough to know it sold good or bad. But I was just curious as to why it was getting such  a huge pass and window for it to sale as compared to other games that was all.

Actually toys always sell most during holiday season not at launch, its not hard at all to think that Labo could sell more during holiday season than it did on launch, same couldnt be said for games.

quickrick said:
Miyamotoo said:

games can as well, and i would say they have a much better chance then labo. labo is just not a hit product, and holidays aint gonna change that. guess what video games are aimed at kids and parents as well.

Yes they can, but Labo is very specific kind of product. Labo is not hit product but it could be quite popular during holiday season, certanly more popular than it is now. Guess what, not every game is aimed only to kids/parents, Labo is toy/game thats specifically aimed to kids/parents.

Miyamotoo said:
TheBlackNaruto said:

Actually toys always sell most during holiday season not at launch, its not hard at all to think that Labo could sell more during holiday season than it did on launch, same couldnt be said for games.

quickrick said:

Yes they can, but Labo is very specific kind of product. Labo is not hit product but it could be quite popular during holiday season, certanly more popular than it is now. Guess what, not every game is aimed only to kids/parents, Labo is toy/game thats specifically aimed to kids/parents.

Do you any sources for how well hot toys sell during none holiday months? we really have no idea. the only thing we can compare labo too is wii and kinect, and those were on fire from the start.

Last edited by quickrick - on 23 May 2018

quickrick said:
Miyamotoo said:

Do you any sources for how well hot toys sell during none holiday months? we really have no idea. the only thing we can compare labo too is wii and kinect, and those were on fire from the start.

Do you really need source for when toys are selling best!? :D

Labo is quite different than any other product on gaming market (Wii and Kinect were not aimed only to kids/parents market), and no, not every popular Nintendo game was selling great from start.