By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 Won April NPD ( PS4 > NSW > XBO)

Insane numbers for PS4. Their focus on quality single-player focused exclusives has paid off bigtime. I honestly thought the Xbox One X would have moved the needle more than what it has but it is probably too late in the Xbox One's life cycle. Still an incredible piece of hardware. Switch sales seem a little soft but coming from the Wii U this is a huge improvement. Don't think they will hit 20 million without a Pokemon though. Even with Pokemon it seems slightly optimistic.

Around the Network
Guitarguy said:
Insane numbers for PS4. Their focus on quality single-player focused exclusives has paid off bigtime. I honestly thought the Xbox One X would have moved the needle more than what it has but it is probably too late in the Xbox One's life cycle. Still an incredible piece of hardware. Switch sales seem a little soft but coming from the Wii U this is a huge improvement. Don't think they will hit 20 million without a Pokemon though. Even with Pokemon it seems slightly optimistic.

Yep, a really great month for PS4.

Xbox One is up 34% YOY so it seems like the X model has helped it quite a bit this year.

As for Switch, just remember that 20 million is for fiscal year shipments, not calender year sales.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Guitarguy said:

Xbox One is up 34% YOY so it seems like the X model has helped it quite a bit this year.

As for Switch, just remember that 20 million is for fiscal year shipments, not calender year sales.

That's 34% YOY in the US? Or worldwide? If worldwide that is quite impressive but I think it is only US?

Hmmm even if it is fiscal year shipment, without Pokemon or some secret weapon I think they won't hit 20 million. But hey, I doubted the Switch would be a success and I was dead wrong lol.

Guitarguy said:
zorg1000 said:

That's 34% YOY in the US? Or worldwide? If worldwide that is quite impressive but I think it is only US?

Hmmm even if it is fiscal year shipment, without Pokemon or some secret weapon I think they won't hit 20 million. But hey, I doubted the Switch would be a success and I was dead wrong lol.

US since this is the NPD thread and your previous post didnt mention worldwide.

Pokemon is heavily rumored to be revealed this month with a 2018 release and is officially listed as "2018 or later" by Nintendo so its most likely releasing this fiscal year.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Kerotan said:

You should be comparing switch to 3ds + Wii u not just one of them. It's the sequel to both of them. And in the US it's probably doing good in this comparison. 

2nd April

3DS-125k

Wii U-48k

3DS+Wii U-173k

NSW-171k

2nd YTD

3DS-770k

Wii U-260k

3DS+Wii U-1030k

NSW-1030k

Switch is doing about as well as them combined so far this year.

That's quite impressive for Switch even compared to 3DS+Wii U.

Around the Network
XD84 said:
Seeing those numbers I wonder why anyone is suggesting that Sony should create a PS4 hybrid like the Switch.

Because it's a cool idea and I love the concept of playing exclusive PS4 games on my tv and on the go without the need of internet.
Sometimes it's not about the sales but the concept. 

Anyway, Great sales for GOW and PS4 well deserved. 

Amazing month for Playstation 4, God of War is a freaking beast!

If GoW can push PS4 this much after 4 years on the market, Pokémon will push the Switch significantly. I don't think we can question Nintendo's estimate.

On another note, I don't get why people defend the sales of a console by the lack of games. Games is what make a system and lack of games is a weakness of a console and not an excuse. Switch is selling Ok but for the last few months people feel the need to defend the Switch by claiming the lack of games.

I think the slight lull in Switch sales is down to fortnite. That is probably the number one system seller in the world at the moment.

An announcement for that and Pokemon at E3 will for my mind be make or break in this being a 16 or 20m year for Nintendo.

Welfare says USA represents ~58% of xbox total sales.
So that earlier quote about US being around 70% isnt right.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 20 May 2018