By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 Won April NPD ( PS4 > NSW > XBO)

CGI-Quality said:
JSG87 said:
The thing is the Switch is 5K away from the PS4'S second April and look how well the ps4 is doing now.

No one was saying that the PS4 was losing Momentum etc... Back then so why is this the narrative being pushed for Switch?

I can't remember, but did the PS4 lose April 2015? If so, your inquiry is spot on. If not, well, then it gets a little more complicated, but I'd be inclined to agree with you still. Really, April isn't the best month to make those claims (that Switch is losing momentum). It also doesn't have the caliber of releases that it did during this time last year, so I'm not sure what people expected.

I see it as a natural order of things, while the PS4 is seeing those numbers because one of its biggest releases just launched. 

The XB1 won that month. And yep people were saying the same stuff about the PS4 back then.

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

Around the Network

The power of exclusivity.

The PS5 Exists. 

CGI-Quality said:
TheBlackNaruto said:

The XB1 won that month. And yep people were saying the same stuff about the PS4 back then.

Yeah, couldn't remember. Just goes to show that people jump the gun far too often.

Yes definitely far too often lol!

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

Farsala said:
zorg1000 said:

~175k

Regardless if it's Switch or PS4, 175k is pretty dreadful. Especially if the console is expected to sell a ton.

Because the sales were so poor for PS4 in its 2nd April it even lost the month to XB1. While we didn't expect Switch to beat PS4 with GoW month, I personally expected 200k+.

All 3 consoles exceeded my expectations last month, but only PS4 did that this month. PS4 might be strongly up YoY in US, but its probably down YoY  for everywhere else leading to Sony's expectations of lower shipments.

But even without those 175k for PS4 in 2nd April on market, best previous month before this April with GoW was 206k for PS4

Hiku said:
Miyamotoo said:

IT early to say how much Switch will sell at end that depends from many factors, including life span and number of revisions, but at end of this year will be easily at 30m+.

PS4 sales are irelevent when we talk about Switch sales. FY 2018. starts in April 2018. and ending on 31. March 2019. So how PS4 and Switch until now (its only counts April) doesnt relly matter especially because Switch will start getting stronger titles later from June. Last year in October-December quarter Switch sold around 7m, you can bet that Pokemon would push that number for same period easily above 7m.

There is reason why Sony expecting that PS4 will sell 16m and why Nintendo expecting that Switch sell 20m, Smash Bros and Pokemon would whitout problem push Switch to 20m in FY 2018. because we talk about one of Nintendo biggest system seller games.

@Miyamotoo
I don't know about without a problem, because 20m in a year is a lot for any system. Smash couldn't do much for WiiU obviously. But at this point I have no particular reason to doubt Switch will reach its projection. But I think it's safe to say that Switch will primarily be driven by those type of core quality games, unlike the Wii where a substantial amount of people bought it for motion control titles like Wii Sports.
So it will be interesting to see how these games push Switch sales especially in its second year, when stock shortages aren't the issue they were in 2017, so it's easier to gauge how much interest there actually is.

Any game couldn't done anything for Wii U obviously, Wii U had 3D Mario, MK8, Smash Bros, Mario Maker and Splatoon, but all those games come on Wii U when Wii U was alredy considered for fail and they couldnt change much. Yeah, Wii was primarily sold to casuals users, Switch is more core oriented. I dont have any reason to doubt that Smash Bros + Pokemon will sell tons of Switch units.

Miyamotoo said:
Farsala said:

Regardless if it's Switch or PS4, 175k is pretty dreadful. Especially if the console is expected to sell a ton.

Because the sales were so poor for PS4 in its 2nd April it even lost the month to XB1. While we didn't expect Switch to beat PS4 with GoW month, I personally expected 200k+.

All 3 consoles exceeded my expectations last month, but only PS4 did that this month. PS4 might be strongly up YoY in US, but its probably down YoY  for everywhere else leading to Sony's expectations of lower shipments.

But even without those 175k for PS4 in 2nd April on market, best previous month before this April with GoW was 206k for PS4

Hence the expectation for 200k+. XB1 2nd April was 187k, so Switch is last out of the 3 consoles for the month. Sure it isn't far off, but I expected more, considering the trend of Switch sales.

Around the Network

Well I knew VGC had undertracked the boost from GoW but I never expected PS4 sales to be that high.

Farsala said:
Miyamotoo said:

Hence the expectation for 200k+. XB1 2nd April was 187k, so Switch is last out of the 3 consoles for the month. Sure it isn't far off, but I expected more, considering the trend of Switch sales.

Switch did a lot better april, then march and feb compared to ps4 second year, so I dont get why you would expect more.

who would have thought that would occur LMAO! XD

GO GOW!!

Another win for PS4

Its a minor thing... but supposedly its :

PS4 326k
NSW 171k
XB1 132k
3DS 66k

Going by Welfare's numbers.