By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Not Having Traditional E3?

As long as Xbox doesn't launch a new console Sony really doesn't have to either. Hell I think Sony, MS and third parties already made agreements when to start the next gen. Releasing the PS5 in 2019 without a Xbox competitor probably means third parties are mainly going to develop for PS4 and Xone. While Sony first party studios are to busy bringing out PS4 exclusives. So that would be a barren launch which can be countered a year later by a more powerful and better supported Xbox.

The way I see it Sony would shot themselves if they abandon console that is still on track to sell 18 million units. To release ghe eauivalent of what a machine that's 33% more powerful than the Xone X for $400. When having nothing but PS4 ports ready for it by launch. The PS5 and Xbox gen 4 are going to release within 6 months of each other. Probably 2020 or 2021.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:
Barkley said:

What makes you say that?

"We’ll broadcast the show live from E3 2018 in Los Angeles"

That page is their E3 plans the are no mention of a stage show anywhere so far, the stream even begins at the usual time they have had their stage shows in previous years.

It's now been confirmed it'll be a presentation in front of a live audience, like every year by Sid Shuman (PlayStation Blog).

"It’s a Showcase / Press Conference, those 4 games will be a big focus." - Sid

"So in front of a live audience again? Just like every year?" - User

"Yep" - Sid

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2018/05/live_audience_will_be_present_for_sonys_e3_2018_showcase

twintail said:
Nem said:

Sounds like it's gonna get boring. They seem to be taking Notes off Nintendo's zelda presentation and already forgot how they knocked it out of the park just some years ago.

What they did last year was fine. It was right. They just didn't have alot of exciting stuff to announce, but they still did better than the competition.
If microsoft keeps to the model, they will probably have a better E3.

Sony just likes to shoot itself in the foot sometimes.

On the other hand, i can see the logic in it. If you announce 30 games, people will only remember some after the conference, but still... it's exposure time for all those titles. i guess they want people talking about their exclusives in order to push sales.

Someone jumping the gun I see. Just because they are telling us which 4 games they will focus on, doesn't really change anything else.

Sorry if i'm not simple enough to conclude that "we are gonna do deep dives in these 4 titles" doesn't mean several developer interviews saying how great their game is and somehow conclude the conference will be exactly the same. That is boring to me. Show me the games and i will be the judge of that.

Kyuu said:
thismeintiel said:

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of people who say that Sony would never release the PS5 in 2019, either because of sales or the releases they have coming.  We have the web.  Can people not do a little research before they start spouting that garbage?  I'll just paste/copy part of another one of my posts.

"3rd party PS1 releases in 2000, the year the PS2 launched - Vagrant Story, NFS: Porche Unleashed, The Misadventures of Tron Bonne (Mega Man Legends spinoff), MK:SF, Threads of Fate, Strider 2, Chrono Cross, DQ VII, Spider-Man, TH's Pro Skater 2, Vampire Hunter D, Destruction Derby Raw, Donald Duck: GQ, Mega Man Legends 2, Capcom vs SNK: M 2000, Incredible Crisis, The World Is Not Enough, FFIX, The Emperor's New Groove, TR Chronicles, 007 Racing, Batman Beyond: ROTJ, Harvest Moon, Disney's Aladdin: NR, Evil Dead: HTTK,

Sony PS1 releases in 2000 - Wild Arms 2, Spyro: YOTD, Crash Bash

The PS1 also sold ~21M in 1999, the year before the PS2 launched.  With those sales and games coming out, why, oh why, would they even think about releasing a new console, yet?

Notable 3rd party PS2 releases in 2005, the year the PS3 was originally going to launch, and 2006 - Mercenaries: POD, Shadow of Rome, Xenosaga Ep II, FIFA Street, Tekken 5, Fight Night Rnd 2, DMC 3, MX vs ATV Unleashed, Timesplitters: FP, Dynasty Warriors 5, Splinter Cell: CT, Lego SW, Midnight Club 3, Psychonauts, Burnout Revenge, MK:SM, Indigo Prophecy, RE4, Soul Calibur 3, COD 2, SW Battlefront 2, Guitar Hero, NFS: MW, DQ VIII, Drakengard 2, MGS3: S, FFXII, KH 2, TR: Legends, Jaws Unleashed, Hitman: BM, DOC: FFVII, Disgaea 2, Xenosaga Ep III, Lego SW 2, Okami, Just Cause, Scarface, MK:A, Spyro: ANB, Bully, NFS:C, COD 3, Guitar Hero 2, TH Project 8

Sony PS2 releases in 2005 and 2006 - The Getaway: BM, MLB 2006, GOW, Rise of Kasai, Genji: DOTS, Sly 3, SOCOM 3, Jak X:CR, SOTC, Ratchet: Deadlocked, Ape Escape 3, Siren 2, MLB 06, SOCOM: CA, Ape Escape: MM

The PS2 also sold ~20M in 2005, the year before the PS3 launched.  With those sales and games coming out, why, oh why, would they even think about releasing a new console, yet?

Notable 3rd party PS3 releases in 2013, the year the PS4 launched - DmC, Ni no Kuni, Dead Space 3, Crysis 3, MG Rising, TR, Bioshock: I, Injustice, Dragon's Dogma: DA, Metro: LL, Grid 2, Deadpool, Dynasty Warriors 8, Dragon's Crown, Saint's Row IV, Splinter Cell: BL, FF XIV, Diablo 3, Rayman Legends, GTA V, Disgaea D2, Lego Marvel, Batman: AO, AC IV: BF, BF4, COD: Ghosts, XCOM, NFS: Rivals, Minecraft, TWD: S2

Sony PS3 releases in 2013 - Sly Cooper: TIT, MLB 13, GOW: A, TLOU, Puppeteer, Rain, Beyond: TS, R&C: ITN, GT6"

This has been Sony's MO since they got into the biz.  You strike while you're still hot.  Not, when your sales and releases are becoming just a trickle.  That's how you lose momentum.  And @ bold, you are completely wrong on that point.

And how is when the PS3 was originally intended to launch relevant? Maybe Sony realized how dumb that idea was. PS3 doesn't help your argument regardless, because it had an awful launch. It and the X360 were both completely destroyed by the PS2 early on, which isn't something Sony's gonna want to repeat. And all upcoming releases I mentioned are BIG First Party titles (barring FFVII remake, which is nevertheless a massive PS-associated exclusive) Half of them are most likely not coming until 2020. This is after your predicted PS5 launch.

In the PS1 days, hot stuff like Final Fantasy weren't as difficult to develop. Square releasing Chrono Cross, Vagrant Story, and Final Fantasy IX late for the PS1 had little to no effect on the development of Final Fantasy X for the PS2. Things have since gradually changed... games nowadays are a lot more difficult and costly to make. You can't simply decide to put a Final Fantasy game on an old platform and go "Eh, it's fine! We'll just release the next Final Fantasy a year from now on the new system!"

The Last of Us and God of War Ascension (a prequel that didn't sell too well) are the only notable late PS3 exclusives beside GT6 (another relative failure) on your list to be compared to the PS4 games we're getting in 2019 and beyond. TLoU succeeded... it wouldn't have been as successful had it come out after the PS4 launched. And Puppeteer?... are you being serious?

Have you considered just how poor PS5's launch lineup will be if it does launch in 2019? You reckon Sony have a few secret big deal exclusives to launch or advertise in addition to their upcoming PS4 games? Or perhaps you're expecting them to make fools of themselves by launching PS5 with no exclusives and resort to hyping backwards compatibility, multiplats, and ports as the system's selling points?

I mean.. you can laugh all you want about PS4's poor early 1st party games, but at least it had them! Namely: Killzone Shadow Fall, Knack, Infamous Second Son and Driveclub. They actually tried! What PS5 games could Sony possibly reveal in early 2019 that can hope to match that "infamous" lineup?

I don't want a Barebone Station 5. Rushing it seems like a complete waste. I'd rather they give it two more years and prepare a decent first year lineup. As for the bolded, let's agree to disagree.

First of all, how is it not relevant? It shows what environment they were going to launch in, with the PS2 really hot and a bunch of games in the coming years for PS2. Again, we have the internet, research. The only reason it was delayed was because Sony was going to originally use a two Cell solution for CPU and GPU. It didn't work out, so they had to delay it by a year to test out the RSX in it. And the awful launch, which was still  a little higher than the 360's, was due to the Cell architecture and the $200 price difference, not because of when they launched.

And you're right that games take longer. But you may have noticed a little trend happening as a stop gap for that. Cross-gen, remasters, and remakes. Those will continue. Which makes your poor launch lineup point moot. Besides, not only will we continue to get those games, but we  will have exclusives, too. I mean the PS4 list you mentioned, we didn't even know about them til less than a year before they launched. We have plenty of Sony studios that we have no idea what they are working on. Bend, Santa Monica, and the 2nd Naughty Dog team to name just a few. And a couple of 3rd party cross-gen games were held out right in front of our noses for a year or so. Don't really see how a 2019 launch leads to "no gamez." That's just FUD to support your idea.

Also, 6 years is definitely not rushing it in terms of consoles. It's actually probably on the longer side of the average time given between consoles. 

Last edited by thismeintiel - on 12 May 2018

Sony now have more focus on upcoming games than super-early new announces. This is good, but like in 2017 most gamers will be disappointed.
PS: sorry for my english.

Around the Network
Kemono said:
Sony now have more focus on upcoming games than super-early new announces. This is good, but like in 2017 most gamers will be disappointed.
PS: sorry for my english.

Man, never feel like you need to apologize for your English. It's not the first language of many people here. Heck, even for us that it is our first, we still screw up from time to time. 

Qwark said:

As long as Xbox doesn't launch a new console Sony really doesn't have to either. Hell I think Sony, MS and third parties already made agreements when to start the next gen. Releasing the PS5 in 2019 without a Xbox competitor probably means third parties are mainly going to develop for PS4 and Xone. While Sony first party studios are to busy bringing out PS4 exclusives. So that would be a barren launch which can be countered a year later by a more powerful and better supported Xbox.

The way I see it Sony would shot themselves if they abandon console that is still on track to sell 18 million units. To release ghe eauivalent of what a machine that's 33% more powerful than the Xone X for $400. When having nothing but PS4 ports ready for it by launch. The PS5 and Xbox gen 4 are going to release within 6 months of each other. Probably 2020 or 2021.

... if Microsoft is never ever going to release a new Xbox, Sony will follow suit and we will never get a PS5.

Thats the logic behind this thinking.

Hunting Season is done...

Zoombael said:
Qwark said:

... if Microsoft is never ever going to release a new Xbox, Sony will follow suit and we will never get a PS5.

Thats the logic behind this thinking.

As long as the PS4 is selling 16 million units in a single year why should they. Launching a new console isn't all that profitable. So yes as long as Sony is selling a shot ton of PS4 units (demand), third parties are willing to support (support) it and there isn't a new rivaling system, why would they release a new system. Sony litteraly has no reason to release a new console as long as its selling very well.

Obviously sales are going to slow down in a few years till they hit ten million. Than there isn't enough demand for the PS4 and Sony should release a PS5 or gamers are going to pc. Regardless of Xbox makes a new console, but that will take at least till 2021.

MS on the other hand isn't doing to well so they have the initiative to launching a new console to turn the tables or they will leave the console business. So let them and third parties decide when the next gen starts. As for Nintendo they do their own thing and PS and Nintendo aren't really affecting each other at the moment.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Ghost of Tsushima will steal the show.

I'm also expecting a Bloodborne 2.

Damn June can't come fast enough. These last 4 weeks waiting will feel painful lol.