By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

I choose...

Splatoon 1 15 20.27%

Splatoon 2 59 79.73%

Total:74
mZuzek said:
Jranation said:

What is tick rate?

It's basically "online fps". As in, the game runs at 60fps, but when you're playing online, the tick rate is what determines how often the game "updates" to what's going on. I'm not quite sure on the specifics, but from what I've seen, Splatoon 1's tick rate was 25Hz (which I believe would translate to 25fps pretty much), and this tick rate was supposedly slower than the fire rate of some weapons, meaning whenever someone used one of these weapons against you, you wouldn't be able to react to each individual shot as they'd only be read by your game in chunks. Or something.

In Splatoon 2, probably in order to make the game more accessible for portable online play, they decreased the tick rate to a baffling 16Hz, which is slower than several weapons and also means it's much harder to react to anything that's happening in real time. It basically makes the online worse and nothing more.

Oh i see. Its been ages since I play S1 when I first played S2, So I probably couldn't compare it. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network

One thing that makes it a bit tricky for me is that one of the big draws of Splatoon 1 was how fresh (harhar) it felt at the time; it was like nothing else out there, and it was so refreshing to see Nintendo invest in a top notch new IP for the first time in what felt like forever.

As a sequel, Splatoon 2 naturally could never feel as novel, in spite of improving on the original in many ways.

Definitely 2. Even though the improvements aren't huge, they are still there. Most notably, graphically 1 looks like garbage compared to 2. The only advantage 1 has is the map being on the Wii U gamepad which was amazingly helpful and intuitive.

mZuzek said:
HyrulianScrolls said:
Definitely 2. Even though the improvements aren't huge, they are still there. Most notably, graphically 1 looks like garbage compared to 2. The only advantage 1 has is the map being on the Wii U gamepad which was amazingly helpful and intuitive.

It was? I'd much rather have it mapped to a button like it is now, and have easy button mappings for superjumps too. Looking at the gamepad screen diverted too much attention. I don't really look at the map when not respawning anyway - except for superjumping back to spawn, in which case it's much simpler to just press X>Down+A than look down and look for where exactly I need to press on the screen right in the heat of the action.

Jumping was super easy in the heat of the moment on the gamepad, imo. I almost never jump when I'm not respawning in 2 because it's way too hard to manage in battle. I hate jumping to beacons too, moving the analog stick to get to where it is takes significantly more time than just being able to tap it on the gamepad. 

The second one because they removed the absolutely broken specials of the first game (Kraken and the Bubble especially) and added Salmon Run, my favorite mode.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
HyrulianScrolls said:

Jumping was super easy in the heat of the moment on the gamepad, imo. I almost never jump when I'm not respawning in 2 because it's way too hard to manage in battle. I hate jumping to beacons too, moving the analog stick to get to where it is takes significantly more time than just being able to tap it on the gamepad. 

You do realize there's gyro, right?

And that you can press the D-pad instead? Down is home base, and the other three are each of your teammates.

CaptainExplosion said:
curl-6 said:

One thing that makes it a bit tricky for me is that one of the big draws of Splatoon 1 was how fresh (harhar) it felt at the time; it was like nothing else out there, and it was so refreshing to see Nintendo invest in a top notch new IP for the first time in what felt like forever.

As a sequel, Splatoon 2 naturally could never feel as novel, in spite of improving on the original in many ways.

That doesn't stop it from being an excellent game in it's own right though. I'm eager to see where we'd go with a Splatoon 3! :D

Oh they're both excellent games, I didn't mean to imply that either was not.

I hope they wait until next gen for Splatoon 3 though. It should be a once per system franchise like Mario Kart and Smash IMO.

mZuzek said:
curl-6 said:

Oh they're both excellent games, I didn't mean to imply that either was not.

I hope they wait until next gen for Splatoon 3 though. It should be a once per system franchise like Mario Kart and Smash IMO.

Yes, it should. And also, with a long while until then, maybe they can then make a proper ambitious game.

...which they won't. But we can dream.

What would you like to see in an ambitious Splatoon 3?

Never played Splatoon 2... so by default it's 1 for me. Totally willing to though... I just don't own a Switch.

Feel free to check out my stream on twitch 

Splatoon 1 for me. Way better final boss, better music, far more varied map design. By all rights I should prefer the sequel, but no amount of additional modes, special weapon balance, or ability chunks makes up for the abysmal tickrate. And the charger nerf--can't forget about that :P