By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft opens new studio in Santa Monica

Wonder what Project P&L is..... anyways if they're starting it now, it wont be released until ~2022.
New IP takes abit longer to develop than a sequel where you have the engine in place, the characters ect.

Around the Network

Better late than never! Hopefully they can start focusing next gen and on Xbox Two now, so they can come out of the gates firing on ALL cylinders!!

My guess is this is going to go towards a decent push for next gen. However, if XB2 befalls the same fate as the XBO, they will drop it just as quickly.

well this is good for next gen, too bad it took so damn long to do it.

of course corporations are terrible at making decisions fast. it takes years and hundreds of about meaningless meetings.

Microsoft Santa Monica? Hmmm..

Around the Network
LiquorandGunFun said:
well this is good for next gen, too bad it took so damn long to do it.

of course corporations are terrible at making decisions fast. it takes years and hundreds of about meaningless meetings.

Phil only recently got more power and budget, with everything we are hearing it looks like we actually start to see progress in 2020 for MS Studios.

It can take 10 years (2 AAA games) for a new studio to become really good and recognized.

The main issue is that this studio will be under the same supervision. The supervision which caused Fable Legends, Scalebound, Sea of Thieves... With the fantastic "All multiplayer, game as a service" philosophy. Remember, the Scalebound devs explained that they didn't plan the game for multiplayer and MS insisted to put the focus on it instead, which destroyed the game...

They need to change how they see game development first if they want to make great games. Because they have studios already, but not one great homemade AAA this gen except maybe for some annual Forza. And I mean great as "on the same level as Uncharted 4, Horizon, God of War, Bloodborne"... Or BOTW and Mario if you want to see even higher. If they don't change anything and just add a new studio, it will just make one more "pretty good" or even lower "okay" AAA every 3/4 years, nothing outstanding.

But obviously, it's still a nice first step.

Good news! I am more happy to see Microsoft building their own studios rather buying some independent studios.
Microsoft should ask sony if they could have Santa Monica Studios name, because Santa monica studios isnt situated in Santa Monica anymore ;).

Happy to see both sony and microsoft opening new studio.

They are preparing for a big onslaught for the start of next gen. This won't effect current gen at all

thismeintiel said:
My guess is this is going to go towards a decent push for next gen. However, if XB2 befalls the same fate as the XBO, they will drop it just as quickly.

How many times did you predict MS will drop Xbox as a whole?

Of course, your first reaction to MS building a new gaming studio is that they will drop it, eventhough they are just starting to recruit for it.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...