By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft opens new studio in Santa Monica

thismeintiel said:
My guess is this is going to go towards a decent push for next gen. However, if XB2 befalls the same fate as the XBO, they will drop it just as quickly.

Erase the used games, Kinect, and "Tier 2 territories" controversies from history, and the XB1 would have done a lot better. Assuming they don't make another big mistake, the XB2 should do better. 

Around the Network

God of War just shipped. The idea behind this is to hire all the inevitable, talented casualties of Sony Santa Monica.

PC I i7 3770K @4.5Ghz I 16GB 2400Mhz I GTX 980Ti FTW

Consoles I PS4 Pro I Xbox One S 2TB I Wii U I Xbox 360 S

DirtyP2002 said:
thismeintiel said:
My guess is this is going to go towards a decent push for next gen. However, if XB2 befalls the same fate as the XBO, they will drop it just as quickly.

How many times did you predict MS will drop Xbox as a whole?

Of course, your first reaction to MS building a new gaming studio is that they will drop it, eventhough they are just starting to recruit for it.

I never thought that they would drop Xbox entirely. Just the console making side of it. Though, that's not what I'm talking about here. I'm talking about 1st party support. They're going to start out decently strong, but if XB2 starts to sell poorly, it'll slow to a trickle again.

IamAwsome said: 
thismeintiel said: 

Erase the used games, Kinect, and "Tier 2 territories" controversies from history, and the XB1 would have done a lot better. Assuming they don't make another big mistake, the XB2 should do better. 

And erase the initial trouble with Cell and the $200 price difference, and 360 would have never gained as much ground as it did. Now, MS is back to dealing with a Sony/Playstation firing on all cylinders. Next gen is going to be even tougher on them if they don't have both a significant power and cost advantage. Something I doubt Sony is looking to allow them to have. 

LudicrousSpeed said:
I hope they call it Microsoft Santa Monica.

Just shy of being MSN.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

dx11332sega said:
I hope its single player story driven I think I heard phil wanting to make games as good as HZD . This be nice :) though I wouldn't mind a light hearted multiplayer ? Microsoft has always been multiplayer heavy . would be cool if studio does something similar to god of war if no HZD type?

In other interview if I'm not wrong he also talked about how hard is to make a successful SP game, so perhaps considering MS history it will be MP.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
Mafioso said:
God of War just shipped. The idea behind this is to hire all the inevitable, talented casualties of Sony Santa Monica.

Why would there be casualties?

Maybe he means the extras. Isn't it common in video game development to hire extra staff that is only temporary during development of the game? 

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
CGI-Quality said:

Why would there be casualties?

Maybe he means the extras. Isn't it common in video game development to hire extra staff that is only temporary during development of the game? 

There are a lot of positions that are only used in specific portion of the development and that is a fluctuating workforce that we see hired and fired every game cycle.

DirtyP2002 said:
thismeintiel said:

How many times did you predict MS will drop Xbox as a whole?

Of course, your first reaction to MS building a new gaming studio is that they will drop it, eventhough they are just starting to recruit for it.

Too many times to count over the years I have been here, lol.

Of course, gotta keep throwing shit at that wall until something sticks.

LudicrousSpeed said:
I hope they call it Microsoft Santa Monica.

I hope their first game is "Lord of Combat" and it features the tale of a goddess and her daughter traveling to the highest tower with her dead husband's cigarettes.

CGI-Quality said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Yes, but many of them would hardly be the people making the biggest impact on production. Someone of that type would make big news. Ultimately, this has far less to do with people leaving. They are just doing what they have been - restructuring teams and moving people around. Many game developers are in Santa Monica (I was planning to move there before settling in North Carolina for Game Design), so this is just a logical step for them.

I'm just trying to grasp what he's getting at, too.