By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft opens new studio in Santa Monica

Faelco said:
DirtyP2002 said:

ask Don Mattrick.

And Phil Spencer, in charge of Microsoft Studios for a decade now already... 

And please, no "he was in charge of the studios but not of Xbox entirely, so it's not his fault", because it just shows a huge lack of knowledge about how companies work. If the studios fail, the guy in charge of them is responsible, not (only) the CEO. It's his job to get the fundings necessary for his guys to work correctly. If he was not able or not willing to defend his teams and offer a strategy for his division, it's his fault. 10 years after becoming General Manager of Microsoft Studios, you can't finally do something good and say "It's not my fault, I did nothing for 10 years because Don Mattrick has been doing my job all this time, bad Don Mattrick!". This excuse has been thin for the most part of the last decade, now it's simply ridiculous. Soon we'll learn that Don Mattrick was also secretly in charge of the PS3 launch, the PSP Go and the Dreamcast... 

And even if we pretend that he as GM of MS he had no power to get more studios started... he is the "CEO" of the whole Xbox division for like 4 years, so he had at least other 4 years where he could have already started opening studios... and in this case he is hiring one person and we are speculating its opening one full studio... where he could also be opening 4-5 studios or at least one very big studio with 10 teams....

We have none of that. What we really do have is 10 years of he doing almost nothing but promising they are expanding their studios and that is their plan, but no show.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Mr_Destiny said:
Where was this kind of investment half a decade ago? Did MS really think the 360 CoD playerbase would carry the Xbone this entire gen?

But all cynicism aside, this can only mean good things for Xbox going forward, and is hopefully just the beginning re: new studios. I wish them the best of luck!

Pretty much stating the inevitable staff reduction that happens after every big game ships. Studios , specially those with a big corporation, don't keep their FULL teams during concept and pre-production for several years . 

There is the cyclical nature of staff reduction, as well as the timing in those cycles where people decide to take their chips on their resume-take their little time off, move onto more money ,new opportunities . 

That includes key positions.  We saw Bruce Straley and Justin Richmond leave Naughty Dog after Uncharted 4, .Shaun Escayg after Lost Legacy...etc...That type of talent adds value and experience elsewhere. There are also writers and directors that leave jobs over creative differences-point is,  turnover of talent and there is demand.

When you have a big studio recruiting across town, your options open up. Santa Monica would be a good place to be as a result. Same idea behind Montreal, UK etc...you headquarter where there's a  talent pool.

Last edited by Mafioso - on 18 May 2018

PC I i7 3770K @4.5Ghz I 16GB 2400Mhz I GTX 980Ti FTW

Consoles I PS4 Pro I Xbox One S 2TB I Wii U I Xbox 360 S