By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Music Discussion - Donald Glover "Childish Gambino" - This is America

I'm a huge hip-hop fan, even made 3 albums myself. But I just can't get into these new rappers. This is the first track I've heard from Gambino and I'm not impressed. Guys nowadays don't have any flow. They just say things that rhyme and say "Yeah! Uh," right after. No new rappers have that Big Pun/Mos Def flow. Hell, most of them don't even speak a decipherable language. So yeah, it's an OK track. But nothing I'm too impressed with.

PC GAMING: BEST GAMES. WORST CONTROLS

A mouse & keyboard are made for sending email and typing internet badassery. Not for playing video games!!!

Around the Network

The song itself is just sorta gibberish to me, but it was meant to be portrayed in video form. The video itself is an absolute work of art. There are so many ways that it could be interpreted in that it amazes me. I had heard people interpret the shootings as allusions to things such as Alton Sterling and the Charleston Church Massacre, but I was utterly confused as to why Glover was the one who committed the acts himself.

What I got from the video was that there are a ton of underlying issues in the black community, some given unwillfully, and some self inflicted. I may not agree with all the interpretations, but I must say it was very well done.

That being said, it still isn't better than Redbone or 3005.

PwerlvlAmy said:
I don't like his music nor his acting in anything he does, but I'll welcome people using music as an art and using symbolism to convey stuff,even if i dont agree with what they're conveying.

Well you have highly questionable taste in music if you can't realize that Redbone is on of the best songs of 2016 and the decade.  Digitaldreamdoor has it as the 11th best song of 2016 but to me its easily the best songs of 2016 and a like it a lot more then the 10 songs ahead of it on that list.

https://digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/bg_hits/bg_hits_2016.html

Chris Hu said:
PwerlvlAmy said:
I don't like his music nor his acting in anything he does, but I'll welcome people using music as an art and using symbolism to convey stuff,even if i dont agree with what they're conveying.

Well you have highly questionable taste in music if you can't realize that Redbone is on of the best songs of 2016 and the decade.  Digitaldreamdoor has it as the 11th best song of 2016 but to me its easily the best songs of 2016 and a like it a lot more then the 10 songs ahead of it on that list.

https://digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/bg_hits/bg_hits_2016.html

I'm super glad I have questionable taste in music then. Compliment accepted. 

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

FentonCrackshell said:
I'm a huge hip-hop fan, even made 3 albums myself. But I just can't get into these new rappers. This is the first track I've heard from Gambino and I'm not impressed. Guys nowadays don't have any flow. They just say things that rhyme and say "Yeah! Uh," right after. No new rappers have that Big Pun/Mos Def flow. Hell, most of them don't even speak a decipherable language. So yeah, it's an OK track. But nothing I'm too impressed with.

Well rap isn't his best genre that is why his best song Redbone isn't a rap song.

Around the Network
TH3-D0S3R said:
The song itself is just sorta gibberish to me, but it was meant to be portrayed in video form. The video itself is an absolute work of art. There are so many ways that it could be interpreted in that it amazes me. I had heard people interpret the shootings as allusions to things such as Alton Sterling and the Charleston Church Massacre, but I was utterly confused as to why Glover was the one who committed the acts himself.

What I got from the video was that there are a ton of underlying issues in the black community, some given unwillfully, and some self inflicted. I may not agree with all the interpretations, but I must say it was very well done.

That being said, it still isn't better than Redbone or 3005.

Sober is also better then This is America.

FentonCrackshell said:

Mumble rap, face tats and colored hair is the new wave.

OP: Song is decent but the music video is very well put together.

PwerlvlAmy said:

Funny, I showed this to a friend and he said basically the same thing, he doesn't like Glover's acting, singing or anything, called him unnecessary. But, he really like the video and the message. I think most can agree that the video itself is expertly executed.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

FentonCrackshell said:

His music is not the average mumble rap. You owe it to yourself to check out his albums, "Awaken my love" is his best work, imo. This song is his only mumble rap, hype style song. I believe it's meant to be partly parodying that type of rap as it basically equates to turning your brain off.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

FentonCrackshell said:

Bolded is pretty spot on. Didn't see this response till now. 

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick