By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony have a tough decision to make

Carl said:
Qwark said:

Imagine 2021 having both a new God of War and  a new Horizon Zero Dawn. That's a very good way to start the gen. If the PS5 releases in Q4 2020 that is. For now the PS4 seems to coexist rather well next to the Switch. Seems like neither really affects the other at this point. Sony can still drop the price to $200 permanently and sell a shitload of units.

The sequel to Horizon will likely be out for the holidays next year and we'll probably get a trailer for it sometime late this year. No way at all they take 4 years to make a new one. Guerrilla Games is good in terms of output, 2 years between Killzone 3 on PS3 and Shadowfall on PS4. They built the Decima engine for Horizon, so expect it to see some more use from them on PS4.

Horizon Zero Dawn was far bigger than Guerilla Games ever produced. According to this article it took them six years to develop it. Given that the half assed Killzone Shadowfall was also in development alongside for a few years.

https://www.invenglobal.com/articles/1158/horizon-zero-dawn-review-six-years-in-development-comes-to-fruition

An open world rpg takes a lot more time to develop than a linear first person shooter. So I strongly doubt they can make a sequel in less than 3 years. Bigger studios like Bethesda can't even make open world games that fast, (even when using the same engine for a really long time). Perhaps ghost of tsunuma is going to use the decima engine. They could use an updated version of the decimal engine for HZD on the PS5.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Around the Network

Simple, they'll do what they did with The Last of Us.

I think they would use the TLOU route...

But sure as a customer that wants the best possible I would rather have they make it next gen only.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Qwark said:

Horizon Zero Dawn was far bigger than Guerilla Games ever produced. According to this article it took them six years to develop it. Given that the half assed Killzone Shadowfall was also in development alongside for a few years.

https://www.invenglobal.com/articles/1158/horizon-zero-dawn-review-six-years-in-development-comes-to-fruition

An open world rpg takes a lot more time to develop than a linear first person shooter. So I strongly doubt they can make a sequel in less than 3 years. Bigger studios like Bethesda can't even make open world games that fast, (even when using the same engine for a really long time). Perhaps ghost of tsunuma is going to use the decima engine. They could use an updated version of the decimal engine for HZD on the PS5.

Hmm I dunno.

I really can't see them pushing beyond 3 years.

If the ps5 is backwards compatible (it should be) then this isn't so much of an issue. Especially if the ps5 can take advantage of the PS4 Pro improvements to games, or even above that?

As long as you can play it on ps5 it doesn't really matter, whether that be through backward compatibility or a crossgen release.

Around the Network
V-r0cK said:
Simple, they'll do what they did with The Last of Us.

TLoU was remastered probably because PS4 wasn't backwards compatible. I'm gonna guess PS5 will be.

I expect that we will be seeing a lot of PS5 games also being released on the PS4. Albeit maybe about 3-6 months later.

I'm guessing 4 years from now, PS5 exclusive. If it's 3 years, then cross platform.

Qwark said:
taus90 said:

Cory rejoined SSM at the end of 2013, game started development after feb 2014 so 4 years..

https://www.psu.com/news/god-of-war-ps4-has-been-in-development-for-3-years/

According to this article SSM stated that the game was in development for 3 years on November 2016. So their might have been some pre work done on God of War before Corey got involved. Although it could very well be just building the engine.

Anywho if they want to release God of War on PS5 they probably need to update the engine again and God of War games are generally quite big, especially this one. So I really doubt the new god of war game can be developed in 2 years. The Dev team was approximately 3 times the size of GOW2 (ps2) is team and counted 270 heads. So I doubt they can speed the process by increasing the size of the team.

I think he included the time team spent on developing the engine for that cancel game as well, and as for starting the development, I clearly remember during first PSX in 2014 he mentioned that they have just begun developing god of war reboot. Cory Barlog joined SSM in 2014, so without cory and his idea SSM cannot start god of war, (they are not GIANTS), and also cory had two ideas in the beginning horus and norse team went with norse, also the pitch to sony was done in 2015, which was the early draft of the demo we saw at e3 2016. All this information is from his various interviews which he gave leading upto the release of the game.

Also the biggest time consuming process of making a new game is writing a story, designing gameplay, combat system, asset work, casting, all this easily takes one or two years, throw in an new engine it goes upto 3 to 4, but all this is in place, level designs, art work, and also the script for the next 2 games in this mythology is done. Look at Uncharted 4 and lost legacy... just one year apart and its as long as uncharted on PS3 with bigger levels that too with a smaller team. farcry 4 and far cry primal same map was reused. So in relation to God of war there are realm that are locked which are probably going to be in the next game and might have already been designed , so the extra work required will be minimal and also the probability of PS5 being an X86 machine with similar architecture hence reprogramming the engine to make it scalable wont be a huge burden, if they have not already built the engine upon it, so the next God of war will probably be forward compatible and 2020 is not out of question

CGI-Quality said:
Qwark said:

Bethesda also has to make games for multiple systems, whereas Guerrilla only has the PS4 to worry about. With the engine already in place, along with the assets, models, environments and such, 2 years is feasible for an exclusive studio with the brunt and technical know-how of Guerrilla.

THIS^ , Pre production for a new IP and designing stuff takes lot of time, but with all these in place 2 years is a best estimate for a sequel to release. Look at UC4 and lost legacy, a smaller team and benefit of working on one platform ND managed to release it in a year.