By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - God of War sells 3.1m Copies in 3 Days, Fastest Selling PS4 Exclusive.

Yes! So well deserved. Just finished it last night, and it’s a masterpiece. Playing the original trilogy, I saw so much freaking potential for these games, but they were bogged down by excessive/tasteless violence, a shallow plot, and shallow and unlikable characters. I always felt like GoW could be massive if they fixed these things, and Cory Barlog did that and more, so it’s so awesome to see the much-deserved success as a result.

I predicted 3-3.5 mill first week with 13-15 mill lifetime, and it’s looking to be on track for that. 3.1 mill sold through in 3 days is insane, and this is in light of shortages.

Also interesting: In the UK, GoW suffered only a 35% drop in its second week, which from all the comments I’ve seen, is darn near unprecedented. Uncharted 4’s drop was 78% and HZD was 60% (tho U4 sold a lot more in its FW). So with this data and the awesome word of mouth, it appears GoW will have good legs as well.

Last edited by pitzy272 - on 03 May 2018

Around the Network

Massive freaking sales and WELL deserved!!!!

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

Hot damn! 3.1m in just three days? what a beast.

pitzy272 said:

Yes! So well deserved. Just finished it last night, and it’s a masterpiece. Playing the original trilogy, I saw so much freaking potential for these games, but they were bogged down by excessive/tasteless violence, a shallow plot, and shallow and unlikable characters. I always felt like GoW could be massive if they fixed these things, and Cory Barlog did that and more, so it’s so awesome to see the much-deserved success as a result.

I predicted 3-3.5 mill first week with 13-15 mill lifetime, and it’s looking to be on track for that. 3.1 mill sold through in 3 days is insane, and this is in light of shortages.

Also interesting: In the UK, GoW suffered only a 35% drop in its second week, which from all the comments I’ve seen, is darn near unprecedented. Uncharted 4’s drop was 78% and HZD was 60% (tho U4 sold a lot more in its FW). So with this data and the awesome word of mouth, it appears GoW will have good legs as well.

Only a 36% drop in Japan which is even more unusual. 

Do God of War games have legs?

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
IkePoR said:
Do God of War games have legs?

God of War III's Week 1 was 1.3m and went on to sell 4m more in two years. I'd say yes.

I guess that's a nice possibility for a 10 million seller by the time PS4 launches in 2020 or so.

The meme of Sony exclusives not selling has definitely ended recently.

Farsala said:
The meme of Sony exclusives not selling has definitely ended recently.

Yup, sony is killing it. I wonder if sony will "jab" xbox whit the sales of their exclusives, like xbox used to do...    https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/ms-halo-3-outsold-six-ps3-titles-combined

GoW outselling Halo 5 + Gear 4? I can see that.

Kerotan said:
pitzy272 said:

Only a 36% drop in Japan which is even more unusual. 

Yeah I just saw your post saying that. Crazy!

And Benji just said “the legs have been exceptional”, so sounds like the US shouldn’t be that far behind in terms of the second week drop...that is, if they can resolve the stock issues. 

the week on week drops do not include digital, I'm sure when added, most saw a small decline, flat to higher GOW 2nd week sales.