By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Multiplat players: how do you determine which platform you get a game for?

It's a balance of price to performance. Which is normally always favors the PC. My PS4 Pro doesn't do much in comparison to my PC. The textures are lower, the framerate is lower, and there are more loading times, and a fee to play online, with PS+.

There's also the issue of aiming with sticks, no absolutely no multiplat shooters on PS4. I need my mouse for that. I found it surprising how easily it was, for me to play overwatch on PS4, just to see for myself how much worse it could be, and I was getting lots and lots of kills, and won every game I played. Which was mostly FFA Deathmatch. Coming out of a respawn, and not seeing any of the other players was something I'd never experienced before though.

Then, there are some games, where I just don't care, I will buy them as many times as I like. Such as puyo puyo tetris. I bought it a few years ago, on PS4 and vita, thinking it would never get a western release. Then again, recently on Switch, and PC.

My consoles are mostly for exclusives, though if I can get a game for 5 bucks, like mirror's edge catalyst on PS4, I may do that too, since it's not something that should be passed up, even if I do own it on PC.

Some games, regardless of how much better they are on PC, like Tekken 7, have bigger communities on PS4, so I'll buy the game twice... However, I'm not paying PS+ when I know I'm only going to use it 2, or 3 weeks out of the year, so I don't play it on PS4 anymore.

Around the Network

As a Switch and PS4 owner, I get all Switch exclusives and on-the-go multiplats for that system (Sonic Mania, Mega Man 11, Bloodstained, etc.) and get everything else for PS4.

Always go with PS4 for multiplats

Usually the PC version for several reasons:

- best combination of performance & graphics
- g-sync/freesync for even smoother performance (Xbox is getting there)
- free choice how the performance is used best (resolution, effects, fps)
- 3D option for many games and VR option for some games
- free choice of controller
- best price in most cases
- great mod support in some games
- fastest loading times
- effects you don't like (f.e. film grain, motion blur, chromatic aberration) can be disabled

Exceptions:

- games without a PC version... obviously
- multiplatform games with a very bad PC port (very rare cases)
- some timed exclusives where I can't wait for the PC version (often in 6th and 7th gen, almost never these days)
- games I want to play on the go (on Switch, Vita or iPad)
- other version has a feature I really want (f.e. AIM controller support in Doom VFR)
- games that I get dirt cheap (f.e. PS+, GwG, flash sale) for another system and that version is "good enough"

Last edited by Conina - on 05 May 2018