By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Labo is a huge ripoff and a waste of a great concept (so far)

WhatATimeToBeAlive said:
duduspace1 said:

Here comes the cheerleading fanboy, DonFerrari at least still makes some interesting contributions worth responding to (even if his points are a bit biased towards his preferred console), apparently this one has nothing meaningful to contribute than to fan flames of console wars .

You said that you would provide a well-grounded estimate of LABO development costs if DonFerrari gave you a well-grounded estimate of God of War (2018) development costs. And he did: 200 developers, 60 months, $10 000 average wage per month = 120 million (and that's missing all the wages for voice and motion capture actors, musicians, etc.). But it looks like you can't/don't wan't to do it yourself.

You get a pretty accurate estimate when you know how big the dev team is and how long was it in development, just like DonFerrarri did. I have understood that LABO's lead designer is the same guy who was the lead designer of ARMS. And since arms was released a year ago, LABO's development time was most likely about one year. I don't know how big the dev team was, but it was most likely much smaller than 200 (probably 50 max.). Even if we use that same dev team size of 200 the costs would be: 12 x 200 x 10 000 = 24 million. And with 50: 24/4 = 6 million.

And in my opinnion (and probably majority of others) marketing costs should not be used as a justification of a products price. Its just extra "spare" money on top of the development costs. Or could some company for example make some cheap flash game, spend 100 million on marketing it and then say it's justified to charge $60 dollars for it? And even if in your opinnion it's justified, I don't know how you can justify LABO's price with it. To my understanding LABO was advertised barely at all. When you compare it to for example God of War, which was advertised heavily on YouTube and in NBA matches, it's not even a contest. There was that one Bill Nye video and that Ariana Grande video (but that was after it was released). So you can add max. couple of million from the marketing. And to add to the insult, it doesn't even cost $60 but $80. So where are the rest "magical" expenses?

So maybe you should stop making up excuses and face the reality.

No point responding to your post because the very first line is untrue. If you cannot be accurate with my posts, I see no reason to believe your rumors which you have not even backed up with any links for validation. DonFerrari at least does a better job of providing his sources.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

Wii U? Isn't it obvious? But yeah, complaining about Wii U is legit but vita, we can let it past like there is nothing, isn't it? Can't wait to see vita 2 defense force

You accused me of not criticizing PSVita today (in a thread about Labo, mind you) but where are you criticizing WiiU? Different scales much?

I don't even think PSVita2 will be a thing, but yes when I defend its flaw you can criticize, even if I don't critizize you for defending Nintendo bad decisions.

duduspace1 said:

1. You write a lot but don't really make much sense and it seems you now read but can't understand. We were talking about extrapolations from previous prices and not the actual prices themselves or can you kindly rephrase your reasoning behind extrapolating the price of GoW from the development costs of GoW 3 again ???

No where did I say the cost of development is meaningless, my point was that you have to expand the context of cost and its effect on price to incorporate 'Total Cost' which includes the cost of marketing (as was done in the Wikipedia page). I mentioned nothing about Pikmin or CoD, not sure if you heard that in some alternative reality. Also did you notice this section in the link you posted ?

Please note: These figures are not adjusted for inflation. Also, development or marketing costs does not represent the total cost of the game. Non-development or marketing costs have been labeled.

And yes, logic would tell any reasonable person that the only reason Nintendo will not show up on a list dating back to 1982 and includes Sega and Atari is because Nintendo doesn't release its costs of development into the public domain except that individual is a chronic fanboy.

2. No Sir, I tell you that because your so called 'mini games' could not have achieved that hence there is a premium for allowing that kind of creativity via consoles by opening up the inner workings of 'Consoles' that previously only allowed mashing of buttons to move objects on screen and never went beyond what the maker of the software wanted it to do to the ordinary every day person or kid.  I believe you already know that Labo has already been demonstrated to go above and beyond music Do you understand that now ?

3. On the contrary I do not, it is you who have brought these irrelevant strawman arguments I didn't make into a discussion about an accusation you made (or supported) that Labo is overpriced. I have never said GoW or CoD (or any other game you can think of) did not justify their price, only you have made such sweeping statements and now seem to have a difficulty backtracking from it and I seriously can't help you on that point. All I have said is that you have not given me the 'Actual cost' of making the last GoW and getting it into the hands of the public.

My point has always been that you cannot judge Labo by putting it next to an AAA game like GoW and then saying it shouldn't cost as much or more because it doesn't look as beautiful and didn't use the same level of animation or graphic fidelity as GoW. That is indeed a very narrow way of judging what goes into the pricing of games. Some place a premium on graphics, others say they'd rather watch an Ultra HD movie instead and focus on game play and neither perspective is wrong or right. If it is not for you, it is not for you, don't go raining on it just because it doesn't fit your own perspective of what you consider to be quality.

1 - And for the life of you, you won't accept that Wii games didn't cost as much to make as PS3 games, WiiU or Switch as PS4. Because you have no idea of development

2 - PREMIUM is on the price not on the cost. This simple concept of cost and price keep eluding you.

3 - So now that you have to give the cost of Labo you ran away right?

Nope I'm not saying Labo can't have the price because it's graphic aren't UHD. Because If I was saying that then I would have to criticize the pricing of all Nintendo games. I criticized the over price for minigames.

Now I'll wait to the end of times for you to provide the cost of Labo as you promised time and again.

1. I never spoke about Wii Games, another of your reality hopping mishaps I guess.

2. No where did I say PREMIUM is on price, the discussion I should remind you again started from your statement on Labo pricing. If you are still confused, look at the title of the thread you are contributing to again.

3. Not at all, you have not given me the Actual costing of GoW. If you are confused on that note again, read up my post.

4. At least, you are now partly backtracking, You are criticizing over the price of minigames, yet your 'minigames' cannot provide the functionality Labo does, still scratching your head ?

5. You might wait a while yet for that, considering you are yet to fulfil your part of that particular bargain.

Last edited by duduspace1 - on 30 May 2018

DonFerrari said:
duduspace1 said:

1.  Why exactly do you think you can use standard AAA pricing and I can't use standard Nintendo pricing ? And just to correct a misconception you have, the reason why you don't see Nintendo games on that list has nothing to do with assets or the power of their console, it is more to do with the fact that Nintendo don't specifically release the cost of making each of their games to the public domain unlike individual development/publishing companies who deal with maybe only one particular game.

2. Kindly show me one of these your mini games that has similar features as the Toy-Con garage. Only a one track mind can possibly conclude that the Toy Con garage which led to the performance of Ariana Grande's music solely with the Switch and Labo is worth absolutely nothing beyond a mini game.

3. What is obvious on your Sig is that you are a very petty individual, but thanks for the publicity I didn't have to pay you for anyway. I am sure those who view your sig can read our posts and follow both our train of thoughts provided they are not as petty as yourself. I would be extremely glad if you still have it on by this time next year. 

I am still waiting for your confirmed actual cost of making GoW or at least a very reasonable estimation that is gotten from that particular game's development cycle itself and not a predecessor. All I have gotten so far from you are estimated extrapolations from GoW3. If you can provide it, then I assure you I would pick through Nintendo's financial report to get you a very decent idea of how much exactly it cost to make Labo.

1 - Standard Nintendo price for games was 40 for HH and 60 for console, where is 80 standard for Nintendo?

Thanks for clarifying this piece of knowledge, now I know that if Nintendo was releasing the cost to marketing (because it seems cost to develop is meaningless) we would have Pikmin costing more than CoD or Destiny right?

2 - So you want to tie the price of Labo or Toycon to Ariana Grande music? That must be some kind of new metric as MS uses.

3 - You simply decided to ignore average AAA gaming develop cost, GoW3 as basis to extrapolate considering GoW was above and beyond every single aspect of GoW3, be it duration, size of the game, resolution, polycount, VA, texture, time to develop you name it. If you can find the magic that allows you to make everything more and costing much less I would be glad to share that with all developers, who mind you, have been very clear about cost for making games increasing from gen 6 to 7 and 7 to 8.

I shall give you another help just so you get an idea of production cost for GoW itself from another angle.

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/59173/publishers-calculate-game-budgets/index.html gives rule of thumb of 10k per month per employee.

http://sms.playstation.com/studio/ gives SSM have over 200 employees and they were solely developing GoW.

Their last launched game was ascension in 2013.

So that give us about 60 months, with 200 people at 10k. Total = 60*200*10000 = 120.000.000 in wages only for production cost.

This doesn't include marketing, outsource, temporary staff, etc.

Will you preffer the low balling of 50M I gave initially for GoW or do you preffer this 120M?

I actually missed the bolded part of your post in my earlier response? I do believe this to be a very faulty  way to calculate cost.

The below is taken from their website:

Building upon God of War team's commitment to excellence in presentation and core mechanics, Santa Monica Studio has also been a pioneer in innovation and mentoring new voices in gaming. Based on a model established with the widely acclaimed thatgamecompany (flOw, Flower, Journey), Santa Monica Studio has since acted as an incubator for the Giant Sparrow team (The Unfinished Swan) and SuperBot Entertainment (PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale).

The studio team has also been a leader in the downloadable space, publishing innovative and award-winning games for the PlayStation®Network, including flOw, Flower, Journey, Warhawk, Linger in Shadows, Everyday Shooter, Fat Princess, Escape Plan, Sound Shapes, The Unfinished Swan, the PixelJunk series, Hohokum and more.

To suggest that all SSM staff were working solely on God of War is a very dodgy conclusion to come to. The fact that they didn't release other games doesn't mean they were not working on other projects either internally or externally or in conjunction with others. There are other games listed on their site and they do have other developers they 

If I was interested in yanking your chain, I should probably go and calculate what Nintendo has released in the past year and divide by the number of Nintendo's employees, but I doubt that would  make much or any sense, in short, this data is from that proverbial place at your back filled with a foul stench.

Last edited by duduspace1 - on 30 May 2018

duduspace1 said:
DonFerrari said:

1 - Standard Nintendo price for games was 40 for HH and 60 for console, where is 80 standard for Nintendo?

Thanks for clarifying this piece of knowledge, now I know that if Nintendo was releasing the cost to marketing (because it seems cost to develop is meaningless) we would have Pikmin costing more than CoD or Destiny right?

2 - So you want to tie the price of Labo or Toycon to Ariana Grande music? That must be some kind of new metric as MS uses.

3 - You simply decided to ignore average AAA gaming develop cost, GoW3 as basis to extrapolate considering GoW was above and beyond every single aspect of GoW3, be it duration, size of the game, resolution, polycount, VA, texture, time to develop you name it. If you can find the magic that allows you to make everything more and costing much less I would be glad to share that with all developers, who mind you, have been very clear about cost for making games increasing from gen 6 to 7 and 7 to 8.

I shall give you another help just so you get an idea of production cost for GoW itself from another angle.

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/59173/publishers-calculate-game-budgets/index.html gives rule of thumb of 10k per month per employee.

http://sms.playstation.com/studio/ gives SSM have over 200 employees and they were solely developing GoW.

Their last launched game was ascension in 2013.

So that give us about 60 months, with 200 people at 10k. Total = 60*200*10000 = 120.000.000 in wages only for production cost.

This doesn't include marketing, outsource, temporary staff, etc.

Will you preffer the low balling of 50M I gave initially for GoW or do you preffer this 120M?

I actually missed the bolded part of your post in my earlier response? I do believe this to be a very faulty  way to calculate cost.

The below is taken from their website:

Building upon God of War team's commitment to excellence in presentation and core mechanics, Santa Monica Studio has also been a pioneer in innovation and mentoring new voices in gaming. Based on a model established with the widely acclaimed thatgamecompany (flOw, Flower, Journey), Santa Monica Studio has since acted as an incubator for the Giant Sparrow team (The Unfinished Swan) and SuperBot Entertainment (PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale).

The studio team has also been a leader in the downloadable space, publishing innovative and award-winning games for the PlayStation®Network, including flOw, Flower, Journey, Warhawk, Linger in Shadows, Everyday Shooter, Fat Princess, Escape Plan, Sound Shapes, The Unfinished Swan, the PixelJunk series, Hohokum and more.

To suggest that all SSM staff were working solely on God of War is a very dodgy conclusion to come to. The fact that they didn't release other games doesn't mean they were not working on other projects either internally or externally or in conjunction with others. There are other games listed on their site and they do have other developers they 

If I was interested in yanking your chain, I should probably go and calculate what Nintendo has released in the past year and divide by the number of Nintendo's employees, but I doubt that would  make much or any sense, in short, this data is from that proverbial place at your back filled with a foul stench.

Yes sure... SSM devoted most of their manpower to help flOw, Flower, etc... You know you don't even make sense, you can't backup anything you said, you run from what you said you would do so this conversation is over and the sig of you not knowing difference between development cost and marketing cost or between cost and price will stay.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

duduspace1 said:
WhatATimeToBeAlive said:

You said that you would provide a well-grounded estimate of LABO development costs if DonFerrari gave you a well-grounded estimate of God of War (2018) development costs. And he did: 200 developers, 60 months, $10 000 average wage per month = 120 million (and that's missing all the wages for voice and motion capture actors, musicians, etc.). But it looks like you can't/don't wan't to do it yourself.

You get a pretty accurate estimate when you know how big the dev team is and how long was it in development, just like DonFerrarri did. I have understood that LABO's lead designer is the same guy who was the lead designer of ARMS. And since arms was released a year ago, LABO's development time was most likely about one year. I don't know how big the dev team was, but it was most likely much smaller than 200 (probably 50 max.). Even if we use that same dev team size of 200 the costs would be: 12 x 200 x 10 000 = 24 million. And with 50: 24/4 = 6 million.

And in my opinnion (and probably majority of others) marketing costs should not be used as a justification of a products price. Its just extra "spare" money on top of the development costs. Or could some company for example make some cheap flash game, spend 100 million on marketing it and then say it's justified to charge $60 dollars for it? And even if in your opinnion it's justified, I don't know how you can justify LABO's price with it. To my understanding LABO was advertised barely at all. When you compare it to for example God of War, which was advertised heavily on YouTube and in NBA matches, it's not even a contest. There was that one Bill Nye video and that Ariana Grande video (but that was after it was released). So you can add max. couple of million from the marketing. And to add to the insult, it doesn't even cost $60 but $80. So where are the rest "magical" expenses?

So maybe you should stop making up excuses and face the reality.

No point responding to your post because the very first line is untrue. If you cannot be accurate with my posts, I see no reason to believe your rumors which you have not even backed up with any links for validation. DonFerrari at least does a better job of providing his sources.

These are your own words from the previous page:

"I am still waiting for your confirmed actual cost of making GoW or at least a very reasonable estimation that is gotten from that particular game's development cycle itself and not a predecessor. All I have gotten so far from you are estimated extrapolations from GoW3. If you can provide it, then I assure you I would pick through Nintendo's financial report to get you a very decent idea of how much exactly it cost to make Labo."

So where is your estimated development costs for LABO?

"The rumours of my death have been greatly exaggerated."

- Single-player Game

Around the Network
WhatATimeToBeAlive said:
duduspace1 said:

"I am still waiting for your confirmed actual cost of making GoW or at least a very reasonable estimation that is gotten from that particular game's development cycle itself and not a predecessor. All I have gotten so far from you are estimated extrapolations from GoW3. If you can provide it, then I assure you I would pick through Nintendo's financial report to get you a very decent idea of how much exactly it cost to make Labo."

Didn't you see he saying he will just pick the total expenses of Nintendo in some years, divide by the number of games released and call that a budget? On his posts seems clear that for him Zelda BotW costs the same as I don't know kid Icarus.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

WhatATimeToBeAlive said:
duduspace1 said:

If you were referring to this part, I do not consider his estimation a very reasonable estimation, infact I consider it very unreasonable and I have given my reasons why in a post above.

Last edited by duduspace1 - on 31 May 2018

DonFerrari said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

Criticizing Wii U? I haven't joint this site at that time so... Bad decisions or not, they make money, just like ps2 classic games on ps4. Business is business. I haven't seen you complaint about ps2 games price point on ps4 yet. It is totally fine, right?

Double standards come screaming at you.

I don't know the price of the PS2 games on PS4 because I don't buy them, but probably they are more expensive than what I would pay.

Good that you complaing about people defending PSVita in Gamasutra, that you haven't see me complain about PSVita, but excuse yourself for WiiU... PSVita is older than WiiU you know?

Because i mostly care about HH and Sony fans is HC so of course i have to mention both vita and ps4, also, with every good Wii U games come to a HH, i have nothing to complain since i don't play HC anymore. Older or not, vita still is the latest Sony HH so... 

Just to chip in here - first off I don't have any difficulty in believing that GOW cost significantly more than Labo to develop.

There are however other considerations, such as the shelf space taken by Labo. The retailer may demand a larger profit than they would for a game which takes up a fraction of the space. So we don't know how much of that extra 20 dollars (if we're saying that a reasonable price is the standard game price of 60) is actually going to Nintendo. The distribution will also likely be more expensive.

I mean, the PSVR Aim controller is $65 on it's own, without a game - do you honestly think it's costing Sony any where near that to manufacture...?

EDIT : my point regarding the Aim controller comparison is that it is another 'big box item' that will likely demand a higher profit by the retailer due to the shelf space it takes up.

Last edited by Biggerboat1 - on 31 May 2018

HoangNhatAnh said:
DonFerrari said:

Double standards come screaming at you.

I don't know the price of the PS2 games on PS4 because I don't buy them, but probably they are more expensive than what I would pay.

Good that you complaing about people defending PSVita in Gamasutra, that you haven't see me complain about PSVita, but excuse yourself for WiiU... PSVita is older than WiiU you know?

Because i mostly care about HH and Sony fans is HC so of course i have to mention both vita and ps4, also, with every good Wii U games come to a HH, i have nothing to complain since i don't play HC anymore. Older or not, vita still is the latest Sony HH so... 

All I hear is you saying you judge others for your own behaviors.

Biggerboat1 said:
Just to chip in here - first off I don't have any difficulty in believing that GOW cost significantly more than Labo to develop.

There are however other considerations, such as the shelf space taken by Labo. The retailer may demand a larger profit than they would for a game which takes up a fraction of the space. So we don't know how much of that extra 20 dollars (if we're saying that a reasonable price is the standard game price of 60) is actually going to Nintendo. The distribution will also likely be more expensive.

I mean, the PSVR Aim controller is $65 on it's own, without a game - do you honestly think it's costing Sony any where near that to manufacture...?

Consoles do take more space and have almost 0 profit margin.

And Accessories all have very overpriced history (no controller cost over 15 bucks to make but retail for 60... X1 pro controller is almost obscene).

Skylander also uses a lot of shelf-space but I never saw it hitting this high (which would also be obscene). And I don't think Nintendo is giving the store 50 USD of margin.