By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - White Millenial Men Now Majority Republican

contestgamer said:
Megiddo said:

We have about 1.2 million active soldiers and 800k reserves. Let's say that the average salary of the 2 million is $50,000.

That means 100 billion dollars goes to salary. The budget for the military is 640 billion dollars.

The budget for SNAP, food assistance for our nation's poorest for example is 60 billion dollars.

Assistance budget =/- budget covering WORK/JOBS. Our budget for handing out money for nothing shouldnt equal what we spend on people that earn that money through working like the army. Then you have to factor in the budget that goes to developing new military gear/weapons, etc. Those are high paying industries. The budget for contractors that rebuild bombed out places.  Budget for pensions and veterans. Budget that goes to fueling and the many people working in the energy industry. That 640 billion isnt just flushed down the toilet. It's going to organizations and the people employed by them. The military and wartime provides employment at good salaries for many people.

Don't forget inventions brought about by the billions spent in the military, such as epipens, microwaves, duct tape, gps.

Like NASA, the military sometimes invents something that us consumers end up using everyday.

Around the Network
CuCabeludo said:
Megiddo said:

Actually, giving people free lunches and getting more people spending in the economy will be a good thing. Whereas throwing money into a hole like the US military does nothing to help spur domestic economic growth. Even in your extremely simple reduction the intelligent choice (in terms of what would be better for the country) is completely obvious.

It's not. Giving people money to be unproductive will always lead to inflation. There is less incentive work and procude goods = less goods being produced or no inovation to improve productivity.

What drives goods to be produced is the demand. As long as there is a demand for goods then they will be produced. Giving poor people more money to spend will increase demand of basic goods and services. I have idea what you mean by less incentive work.

Megiddo said:

Veteran benefits are not part of that 640 billion. They have a separate 177 billion dollars for funding.

The government spends far more welfare money on the military than it does on the nation's poorest. It's a travesty especially since giving the nation's poorest money to spend back into the economy is one of the easiest way's to boost everyone upwards. Whereas giving Lockheed Martin and Boeing more military contracts just ends up with most of that money in tax havens.  And money that is being parked in tax havens does jack shit for the American economy.

There are 2 Trillion dollars in tax havens right now.  That's the problem. There's no enforcement of tax evasion law since tax evasion has become legal for only the super rich.

We have tax havens because we over tax. No on should have to pay more than 15% of their money in taxes. It's ridiculous that we have people paying 30-40%+ in taxes, plus sales taxes, etc. 

Megiddo said:
CuCabeludo said:

It's not. Giving people money to be unproductive will always lead to inflation. There is less incentive work and procude goods = less goods being produced or no inovation to improve productivity.

What drives goods to be produced is the demand. As long as there is a demand for goods then they will be produced. Giving poor people more money to spend will increase demand of basic goods and services. I have idea what you mean by less incentive work.

Yeah and the price of those goods will increases as does the purchasing power of the poor. So in the end you'll be back at square one.

contestgamer said:
Megiddo said:

Yeah and the price of those goods will increases as does the purchasing power of the poor. So in the end you'll be back at square one.

Around the Network
contestgamer said:
Megiddo said:

Veteran benefits are not part of that 640 billion. They have a separate 177 billion dollars for funding.

The government spends far more welfare money on the military than it does on the nation's poorest. It's a travesty especially since giving the nation's poorest money to spend back into the economy is one of the easiest way's to boost everyone upwards. Whereas giving Lockheed Martin and Boeing more military contracts just ends up with most of that money in tax havens.  And money that is being parked in tax havens does jack shit for the American economy.

There are 2 Trillion dollars in tax havens right now.  That's the problem. There's no enforcement of tax evasion law since tax evasion has become legal for only the super rich.

We have tax havens because we over tax. No on should have to pay more than 15% of their money in taxes. It's ridiculous that we have people paying 30-40%+ in taxes, plus sales taxes, etc. 

Why do you think noone should have to pay more than 15% of their money in taxes? Are you not aware of America's Golden Years, the highest points of economic growth, were where the wealthiest Americans were paying far more than 30-40%?

Are you a temporarily embarrassed millionaire? Do you think that someday you'll win the Lotto and then you don't want to pay high taxes on all that money?

It will never stop shocking me that people care more about the handful of wealthiest Americans who have more money than they know what to do with than they do about the nation's weakest, poorest, and sickest. And then my shock only grows more as these people profess to follow Christ's teachings who taught above anything else to look after the poor, the sick, and the weak.

What is it that causes your callous lack of empathy to millions of malnourished children living in the streets? Instead you worry, "Oh shit, this wealthy guy has to pay more than 15%". You are a terrible, terrible person.

If it wasn't for that 'military money pit', you'd be speaking German today. Or Japanese. Or be an ash thanks to a Soviet nuke.  The price of oil would be 3X what it is now. Pirates would control the open oceans. And there would be 2 million more younger aggressive men running loose on our streets with no discipline or purpose. The 2 million children of the military are well taken care of, sometimes for life. Equaling 10's of millions from the past years. When the Army buys a Billion dollar plane, an American Co. with 1000's of employees builds that plane. Army bases employ 1000's of civilians in 100's of town across the US. Good jobs too.  The Military is one of our best investments/programs/ education systems/innovators of modern life we currently have. Money well spent.

Yes, back in WWI and WWII America did not have a completely bloated defense budget. It still performed admirably well along with our allies. Now we have more aircraft carriers than the next 6 countries put together.

We are building tanks that we have no need for. We are building planes which are incredibly cost inefficient to replace planes that are the most cost efficient the US has every produced. We are wasting money on building shit that the Army/Navy/Air Force have said that they do not need. We sell tanks to the middle east at a fraction of the cost and then marvel when we have to go up against US built tanks in a war zone.

The most wasteful welfare spending is the military defense budget. It needs to be audited and it needs to be brought back to a reasonable level.

Megiddo said:
contestgamer said:

Why do you think noone should have to pay more than 15% of their money in taxes? Are you not aware of America's Golden Years, the highest points of economic growth, were where the wealthiest Americans were paying far more than 30-40%?

Are you a temporarily embarrassed millionaire? Do you think that someday you'll win the Lotto and then you don't want to pay high taxes on all that money?

It will never stop shocking me that people care more about the handful of wealthiest Americans who have more money than they know what to do with than they do about the nation's weakest, poorest, and sickest. And then my shock only grows more as these people profess to follow Christ's teachings who taught above anything else to look after the poor, the sick, and the weak.

What is it that causes your callous lack of empathy to millions of malnourished children living in the streets? Instead you worry, "Oh shit, this wealthy guy has to pay more than 15%". You are a terrible, terrible person.

Because everyone has the right to make their own choices and carve out a living. I come from a poor family in Europe, built my own business here in the west and make a pretty good living. I send a big chunk of that back to family that needs help. I pay a big chunk of it in taxes. I work 6-7 days a week, long hours. I sacrificed friendships so that I could put all my focus on work. I do OK for myself, but my goal is to do a whole lot better. IMO if your goal in life isn't to do financially well, then don't complain if you're poor. Your priorities are different. I know a lot of poor people that didn't prioritize money over everything else, including my own family. That's why they are poor. They cared more about having families, kids, friendships and fun than laser focusing on career, and career only. 15% is fair, it covers basic utility that an individual uses in society. It should be a flat tax and rich shouldnt be punished by paying for the poor. Opportunity should be equal and I'm for public option higher education to help achieve that, but you don't need crazy taxes to do that. You need to restructure what you're spending it on right now. We're already taxing corporations, then you tax the individual on income, then again via sales tax. It's ridiculous.  

Are you saying that the malnourished children living on the streets are "choosing" to live that way? Are you saying that being poor is a choice? What a woefully ignorant statement.