By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - White Millenial Men Now Majority Republican

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-millennials/exclusive-democrats-lose-ground-with-millennials-reuters-ipsos-poll-idUSKBN1I10YH]

"...Two years ago, young white people favored Democrats over Republicans for Congress by a margin of 47 to 33 percent; that gap vanished by this year, with 39 percent supporting each party.

The shift was especially dramatic among young white men, who two years ago favored Democrats but now say they favor Republicans over Democrats by a margin of 46 to 37 percent, the Reuters/Ipsos poll showed..."

Why do you think this is happening? Part of it is that as people get older they're more likely to become more conservative in general, but it doesn't explain the demographic specific switch here.  Seems to me that the demonization of men on the one hand and white americans on the other is leading to a compounded effect with white male millennials fleeing the party in larger numbers than even white female millennials are. 

I'm fairly sure most of these people are actually socially liberal and arguably 50/50 economically liberal (based on them supporting Repubs/Dems equally in that poll when it comes to who runs the economy better)  so they should be a natural fit with the democrats or independents. However the progressive war on males and white people is what's likely pushing these people away.

Too bad it's a 2 party system, because I doubt any of these parties represent them well.

Around the Network
contestgamer said:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-millennials/exclusive-democrats-lose-ground-with-millennials-reuters-ipsos-poll-idUSKBN1I10YH]

"...Two years ago, young white people favored Democrats over Republicans for Congress by a margin of 47 to 33 percent; that gap vanished by this year, with 39 percent supporting each party.

The shift was especially dramatic among young white men, who two years ago favored Democrats but now say they favor Republicans over Democrats by a margin of 46 to 37 percent, the Reuters/Ipsos poll showed..."

Why do you think this is happening? Part of it is that as people get older they're more likely to become more conservative in general, but it doesn't explain the demographic specific switch here.  Seems to me that the demonization of men on the one hand and white americans on the other is leading to a compounded effect with white male millennials fleeing the party in larger numbers than even white female millennials are. 

I'm fairly sure most of these people are actually socially liberal and arguably 50/50 economically liberal (based on them supporting Repubs/Dems equally in that poll when it comes to who runs the economy better)  so they should be a natural fit with the democrats or independents. However the progressive war on males and white people is what's likely pushing these people away.

Too bad it's a 2 party system, because I doubt any of these parties represent them well.

A whole lot of reasons. Most liberal social policies such as abortions, gay marriage, ect are never going to be touched. At worse, they will not be funded by taxpayers under Republicans such as funds for abortions.

The next big reason is when you hit the workforce the last thing they want is higher taxes and much more expensive cost of living. If you compare a liberal state like California to a conservative state like Texas you will easily see what I mean. 

Another issue is liberals pick on white men all the time. Who the hell want to be called "privileged" or get your opinion invalidated for being a straight white male. The hatred of white people seems crazy sometimes and no double standards. For example, if a white male shoots a black male the headline will be something "Racist white men shoot innocent unarmed black men." Where if it was the other way around it will be "32-year-old Matt William was killed last night."

I would like to see a new party that takes the best of both parties. Has a strong economic message, but is smart about it and doesn't harp on social issues because they really don't matter in most cases. By that, I mean a real secular party. Let people believe in God but don't hold people up to your imaginary idea of what they should be. Be kind to immigrants as we are all immigrants. Take a leadership role in the world seriously and make sure we are causing real change that may give us more time to deal with the oncoming Co2 apocalypse. Focus on education. Focus less on millionaires. Do something about the debt.

46% is a plurality, not a majority.

VGPolyglot said:

For the US and maybe Canada only.

The remainder of the civilised world call it a relative or simple majority, including the United Kingdom.

Around the Network

Link in OP doesn't work for me.

White men have been the bedrock of Republican party for decades. The issue is as a percentage of the whole white men are becoming lower from silent (40%) to boomer (36%) to X (31%) and now millennial (28%).

The three groups Republicans win with are the elderly (silent and boomer), white men, and religious. We've had an era (1980 to present) where this was a winning coalition. The question for Republicans is can they adjust to a new landscape that is less white and less religious with each election cycle.

How does the saying go? If you aren't a Democrat before 20, you have no heart. If you are one above 20, you have no brain. Something like that.

haxxiy said:
VGPolyglot said:

The remainder of the civilised world call it a relative or simple majority, including the United Kingdom.

What's the point of having a distinction between a plurality and majority then if they mean the exact same thing?

VGPolyglot said:
haxxiy said:

What's the point of having a distinction between a plurality and majority then if they mean the exact same thing?

Playing semantics at this point, the issue here is the trend. Why are white males fleeing the democrats in increasing numbers? It's because they're being persecuted by leftists progressives.

SpokenTruth said:
It's amazing that young white men will switch parties just to placate their ego. Changing a party doesn't change the facts.

Change the word white to black in your sentence. Sound reasonable?