By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Zelda Breath of the Wild/God of War Ps4 release hype comparison?

Am I the only one who gets an odd feeling from the two resulting hypes?

I don't know what it is really: either console war rivalry, a feeling of more people being light on God of War than Zelda, a feeling that the post God of War hype acts like Zelda never happened....something just feels off about it. 

Is it just because it's coming from the mouths of people who generally ignore Nintendo, and thus anything it does? Is it an actual issue beyond me? 

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

Around the Network

Who cares? I was hyped by both. Played and enjoyed both. So I'm one of the winners

Certain people of the God Of War hype club, won't name names, have talked shit about Zelda for about a year now, and now they have game to actually be super crazy about. Some Zelda fans might retaliate and also do reverse and target God of War, but I noticed Zelda being attacked more than God Of War.

However God of War general fanbase (majority of people) and Zelda general fanbase (majority of people) are just happy good games are released. Honestly these forums are small place, and it just very few that ruin it.

Last edited by Acevil - on 29 April 2018

I don't know, i was really hyped for Zelda and it met and exceeded the hype, and i wasn't hyped for God of War at all because i didn't like the previous games and it ended up being one of my favorite games of the generation so far

Well both for me are GotY for their respective years. My personal hype for Zelda was on a much higher level for God of War. It did not diappoint me in the least.

GoW I did not honestly get hyped for until the review scores came in. Until then, I was like "meh". Once I dug into the game a bit after that though, I knew it was a day one buy for me. It also does not disappoint.

That said, considering I was hyped for Zelda to the point that I replayed EVERY canon mainline Zelda game ever released over the course of a year and a half in preparation of BotW, I say Zelda takes the win for me.  As for why you do not hear much about Zelda now that GoW was is out, well it was released over a year ago.  It really is not rocket science.

Last edited by Shiken - on 29 April 2018

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network

Honestly part of me doesn't even want to entertain the concept of this thread. But ... I have to admit, it's kind of  true.

It's not that people have suddenly forgotten about Zelda. It's that, for more than a year, the most hyped and beloved thing was Zelda ... and now something actually came along that can steal the spotlight. Now, Zelda being the critical darling it is seems less astounding. In a weird sort of way, Mario Odyssey getting scores similar to Zelda didn't make this same event occur. I think it's because it was made by Nintendo so it's critical acclaim was just kind of taken for granted. Now though i's clear as day that this gap between Nintendo and other first parties is a tad smaller than some might have imagined, and that's going to cause people like what Acevil described to come out of the wood works.

Acevil said:

Certain people of the God Of War hype club, won't name names, have talked shit about Zelda for about a year now, and now they have game to actually be super crazy about. Some Zelda fans might retaliate and also do reverse and target God of War, but I noticed Zelda being attacked more than God Of War.

I hate to say it, but this is definitely true...

Not sure what the point here is? Yeah, a lot of people who own either a PS4 or X1 do ignore Nintendo completely, and it's their loss. They can think "core" games require hyper realistic graphics, guns, and blood all they want, doesn't change the fact that Nintendo is still putting out the best games in the industry all these decades later. GoW is also an incredible game. And if you're not open to giving both games a fair shot, then I'm not open to giving you the time of day. Again, it's those people's loss. Judging by BotW's sales, there will be 10-15 million people who got the hype, so don't feel bad for it. 

Acevil said:

However God of War general fanbase (majority of people) and Zelda general fanbase (majority of people) are just happy good games are released. Honestly these forums are small place, and it just very few that ruin it.

100% this.

Apples and oranges.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Hmmm... this thread is weird.

Sounds like a lot of people are whining..... idk, maybe its just me, or maybe its cause it seems to be pro nintendo, but I thin this thread is focusing on someting that isn't there.

Then again that could also be just me since I probably fall into the category of people that mostly ignores nintendo.

I like to think both are great games, and also that it just seems that way because theer are more PS4 owners out there than switch owners.It could also be that compared to the previous GOWs, there is a lot to talk about this new version of the game because of how different it is from the previous ones.