By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Do you support the U.S. teacher strikes?

I support the teachers strike.

Proud to be a Californian.

Around the Network

After being married to a teacher, of course I support the strike. There isn't a single day that she doesn't say to me that she want to quit.

gergroy said:
Aeolus451 said:

They are not underpaid. They work in office conditions and get a paid whole summer vacation. They're acting entitled. If anything, their workload should be increased to keep them busy enough so they can't have orgies with their students and maybe the kids will eat less tide pods. Btw, I'm not saying that the teachers all do that but it's happening alot more. 

Yeah, or maybe its because 1/3rd of their teachers aren’t even qualified to teach them because all the qualified people are leaving the profession and not enough people are entering it...  teachers also don’t get paid over the summer, those are no pay days.  You can choose to have your check split up so you get a paycheck, but we aren’t paid for that break.  Also sounds like you need to spend a day in a classroom.  I have worked construction jobs and landscaping jobs and you various minimum wage retail jobs and I am way more exhausted at the end of a day of teaching then any of those jobs. But whatever, sounds like you have your opinion, even if it isn’t based on reality...

They are paid a yearly salary based on the days they work for that year. Since they are off the entire summer and still paid the same amount as a welder on average who has to work the entire year to make the same, they are being paid for the summer. Teachers are being greedy. The school systems need more funding but it shouldn't go to higher pay for teachers or to the sports departments at the schools. 

I'm all for replacing the teachers with teaching PCs with a handful of tutors if they keep pushing for more pay. 😸

Megiddo said:
Aeolus451 said:

They are not underpaid. They work in office conditions and get a paid whole summer vacation.

How many offices do you know that have 25-30 kids that they need to take care of? An office is a stable environment with adults. I don't think you have even the slightest clue of what teaching entails.

It's not much different. 😏

Terrible bosses underpay and exploit their workers in appalling work conditions. Unions are needed to protect workers and fight for pay and conditions. Teachers have the right to protest for better pay and conditions.

Around the Network

Going on strike is anti-consumer ...

It's a decision between prioritizing the welfare of the customers or the employees and choosing the former is nearly always better to increase productivity ...

K-12 teachers are a dime a dozen hence why so many are willing to be hired ...

fatslob-:O said:
Going on strike is anti-consumer ...

It's a decision between prioritizing the welfare of the customers or the employees and choosing the former is nearly always better to increase productivity ...

K-12 teachers are a dime a dozen hence why so many are willing to be hired ...

K-12 teachers are a dime a dozen?  You do realize that we are in one largest teacher shortages we have ever had right now?  There are some states that about 1/3rd of their teaching workforce is unqualified for the job they teach because there aren’t enough qualified teachers applying for jobs or sticking around...

gergroy said:

K-12 teachers are a dime a dozen?  You do realize that we are in one largest teacher shortages we have ever had right now?  There are some states that about 1/3rd of their teaching workforce is unqualified for the job they teach because there aren’t enough qualified teachers applying for jobs or sticking around...

Not really, there's less need for a K-12 teacher in the developed world than ever before in the age of information and the coming age of automation, biotechnology and machine learning ... 

K-12 is absolutely low level material and teachers behind it are compensated the way they are cause the material is just not that demanding anymore when there are many other forms of competition out there which can provide assistance for similar material such as online schools/resources (quite a few out there are competent enough cover many of the 1st/2nd year university level courses) and let's not forget our foundations that our past generations set out since the vast majority of them are high school graduates themselves so a somewhat competent education can be had just from them ... 

With Eugenics on the rise, our future generations could one day soon instantly just grasp new material just by their own tip of the fingers thus mitigating the need of a K-12 teacher altogether ... 

And when US population growth is on a decline with the median age getting older it makes far more sense to downsize our K-12 efforts in favour of increasing focus on post-secondary education ... 

K-12 does not serve the needs of our current workforce today and it should not serve as our baseline forever with an older more experienced populations of the developed worlds. If it were me I'd make cuts into the curriculum by just focusing on the essentials such as english, math, science and maybe some business so that students can finish earlier with the benefit of getting higher quality experiences in those courses and a far easier ordeal for teachers ... (it's nearly win-win solution aside from the students/teachers who wants those specialties but that isn't worth the added cost) 

With Eugenics on the rise, our future generations could one day soon instantly just grasp new material just by their own tip of the fingers thus mitigating the need of a K-12 teacher altogether ... 

What is this nonsense? How does selective breeding impact in any form the need of basic education mentoring and teaching?

Megiddo said:

What is this nonsense? How does selective breeding impact in any form the need of basic education mentoring and teaching?

It doesn't at all really, it's not like the vast majority of people are going to be able to afford that technology, I assume only the rich will have the fund for that anyway if we ever get to that point.