By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Do you support the U.S. teacher strikes?

K-12 education is becoming redundant in a changing world. Google and Youtube can provide an education that is far superior than a K-12 education system.

Around the Network
Megiddo said:

What is this nonsense? How does selective breeding impact in any form the need of basic education mentoring and teaching?

Contrary to what VGP believes, it changes things a lot and probably at a fundamental level too since young students would become self proficient to both mentor and teach itself! (we only need to hand over some basic instructive texts and then administer some standardized tests to proof check that they know the know the material) 

So to speak it is taking the "teaching" out of the teacher and it's far more efficient ... 

And I'm not just specifically talking about selective breeding, my example is far more advanced such as performing germline modification to the human embyros as seemingly implied by VGP ... 

And as a sidenote it's not just for the rich, a sizable portion of the developed populations will only have to make a once in a lifetime or several generation investment to proliferate these traits at the germline level ... (which means that these traits will be passed on to their haploids automatically without the need to reintroduce the genetic modifications again) 

Dark_Lord_2008 said:

K-12 education is becoming redundant in a changing world. Google and Youtube can provide an education that is far superior than a K-12 education system.

Are you ever for real with your posts ? It looks like you just flip flop every chance you can get LOL ... 

Completely against it. If they want money they should've been born rich.

My sister is a teacher. She was recently diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis. She loves teaching. Often times, she's on crutches or a walker, still trying to teach. She's got a number of medical bills. She still had to provide supplies for her students and even pays my daughter to grade schoolwork for her class.

She hasn't gone on strike or anything. I don't think she gets paid nearly enough. She probably makes less than half my income and I didn't even go to college. If she demanded more money, I'd support her 100%.

What is the desired outcome?

If you want an educated electorate to drive the economy, you need quality schools with motivated excellent teachers.

We say "We're Number One!" in the US, where's that motivation go with critical aspects such as education? We have the means to compete, we just don't value it and it hurts us. There is no greater investment in a country than education. Its consequences affect you regardless if you have children or are associated with a school.

I would love to see everywhere try to teach for one week and relate their experiences.

Around the Network

The Us spends more on education then any other country in the world - it is not a money problem.

U.S. education spending tops global list, study shows

The United States spent more than $11,000 per elementary student in 2010 and more than $12,000 per high school student. When researchers factored in the cost for programs after high school education such as college or vocational training, the United States spent $15,171 on each young person in the system — more than any other nation covered in the report.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/us-education-spending-tops-global-list-study-shows/

Yep.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

SpokenTruth said:
The ignorance, indifference and sheer animosity I am reading is saddening.

I support the strikes. I cannot fathom the logic and reason of those who do not.

Nymeria said:

If you want an educated electorate to drive the economy, you need quality schools with motivated excellent teachers.

We say "We're Number One!" in the US, where's that motivation go with critical aspects such as education? We have the means to compete, we just don't value it and it hurts us. There is no greater investment in a country than education. Its consequences affect you regardless if you have children or are associated with a school.

I would love to see everywhere try to teach for one week and relate their experiences.

/thread

SpokenTruth said:
The ignorance, indifference and sheer animosity I am reading is saddening.

I support the strikes. I cannot fathom the logic and reason of those who do not.
Nymeria said:

Who the damn cares ?! It's just crappy K-12 education and it's not like we need to invest anymore either when we have a 92% graduation rate which is higher than most of our other contemporary OECD members ... (it's not like we'll need to keep building schools either with an aging population)

Remind us why we need to pay high school and especially middle/elementary school teachers more again when they were performing competently in their job before ? Fuck it! They should just be happy that they get to participate in a government sanctioned monopoly and if they were as valuable as people keep hyping them up to be then why are they so afraid of letting market forces dictate their true worth ? Is it because their afraid that the public doesn't value them for what they think their own worth is ? 

Just saying, if K-12 was really that concerning then do we continue to digitize low level education ? 

Last edited by fatslob-:O - on 08 May 2018

fatslob-:O said:
Going on strike is anti-consumer ...

It's a decision between prioritizing the welfare of the customers or the employees and choosing the former is nearly always better to increase productivity ...

K-12 teachers are a dime a dozen hence why so many are willing to be hired ...

Well not always anti-consumer, last example is about the Japanese bus drivers on strike who choose to not go on the street but drive for free and let no passenger pay them. The public opinion was very positive about the strike while the guys on top have to explain why so much money got lost.