By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - PC Gamers: How do you play FPSs?

How do you play FPS games?

I use keyboard + mouse 22 81.48%

I use a controller 2 7.41%

I don't play FPSs (See results) 3 11.11%

Total:27

I must admit, I'm not a huge fan of FPSs, except for Borderlands, Crysis 2 and a couple of Call of Duty games that I have for PC (But I only play single player campaigns).

So, this week I got Call of Duty 3 for my PS2, and I'm having a very hard time trying to use the analog sticks to shoot. Gosh, how I missed the mouse to aim. I died a lot of times because I was trying to aim at the enemy and got shot in the act.

Is that a problem for you? How do you play your FPS games? Do you use keyboard + mouse or a controller?

Also, Call of Duty 3 is a very good game, I hope I get better at the analog sticks with time because it's so much fun.

Around the Network

I'm mainly a console gamer, but I have played FPS games on PC before. I originally used a controller but switched to KB+M after people suggested I do so. I still have a bit of trouble adjusting but I think it's easier for some games than others. For Portal 2 and Quake it was fairly easy for me to adjust, for Half-Life and Deus Ex I struggled.

Yea, I never play FPS games on console, keyboard and mouse is just infinitely times better.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Depends on the game, games that are purely running and shooting I use M+KB, but games like far cry where you drive a vehicle, I use a DS4 controller, I hate driving with a KB.

Nintendo Switch FC: SW-6340-7643-4233 aka Renji

Steam: Lee Roid

M+KB of course! Gyro-aiming if not on PC.

Around the Network

KB + M is better, even better than gyro. So KB + M.

Really the only games that I think are better on controller are platformers, perhaps action games, and maybe racing? (which to be fair, is a decent handful of games)

Is there any reason not to play FPS on keyboard and Mouse on PC? Whether you desire to be a pro player or just want to stay relevant playing any competitive online FPS on PC you need the best/most precise Mouse you can get.

CuCabeludo said:

Is there any reason not to play FPS on keyboard and Mouse on PC? Whether you desire to be a pro player or just want to stay relevant playing any competitive online FPS on PC you need the best/most precise Mouse you can get.

There are SP FPS games.

VGPolyglot said:
I'm mainly a console gamer, but I have played FPS games on PC before. I originally used a controller but switched to KB+M after people suggested I do so. I still have a bit of trouble adjusting but I think it's easier for some games than others. For Portal 2 and Quake it was fairly easy for me to adjust, for Half-Life and Deus Ex I struggled.

That's an understatement  

Shooters are, for the most part, absolutely awful without a mouse. Games like Uncharted manage to get a pretty decent feeling even with a controller, but then again, Uncharted also has a lot of other stuff that makes playing the games enjoyable.

Oh, in case you couldn't guess it, I play my shooters with a mouse and keyboard. Generally, they're just not enjoyable at all otherwise.