By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What will be 2018's disappointing AAA games?

 

What game will be the most disappointing in 2018?

Shenmue III 23 27.38%
 
Crackdown 3 24 28.57%
 
Red Dead Redemption 2 1 1.19%
 
Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 17 20.24%
 
Battlefield V 1 1.19%
 
Spider-Man 5 5.95%
 
Super Smash Bros. for Switch 4 4.76%
 
Detroit: Become Human 6 7.14%
 
Kingdom Hearts 3 0 0%
 
Other 3 3.57%
 
Total:84

The first Titanfall was NOT disappointing and was well recieved. Everyone knew what they were getting with that game and it should not be on the list. One of the very few X1 exclusives I found worth playing TBH.

OT...I am gonna say Sea of Theives for low hanging fruit.  Dig a bit deeper and I think both Crackdown 3 AND Shenmue 3 will fail to live up to expectations, and be shoe im candidates for most disappointing games of the year as well.



Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
pokoko said:
Detroit: Become Human is going to generate a ton of negativity from the expected "omg it's not a game it's a movie" crowd who cannot stand the idea that others might like something they do not.
I don't think that counts because they've already made up their minds that they'll hate it.

What? What does generating negativity have to do with not understanding that others might like such games? Are you saying that if anyone from said crowd expresses negativity, they must automatically might not be able to see how said games are enjoyable to others? The two ideas don't intertwine well. 

Don't make up arguments.  I was clear with what I was talking about.  There are people who attack games that they see as "too cinematic" when all they need do is avoid those games.



UltimateGamer1982 said:
Other than that, I’m not sure what games are coming out this year. If tomb raider makes it, I can see that disappointing.

Why wouldn't Tomb Raider make it? And most importantly, why do you think it will disappoint? I mean, there is some expectation after the last two games were very well-reviewed, but I can't see how they could ruin that formula...



G O O D B O I

Given who is making it, I wouldn't be surprised if opinions on Detroit are rather mixed.



pokoko said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

What? What does generating negativity have to do with not understanding that others might like such games? Are you saying that if anyone from said crowd expresses negativity, they must automatically might not be able to see how said games are enjoyable to others? The two ideas don't intertwine well. 

Don't make up arguments.  I was clear with what I was talking about.  There are people who attack games that they see as "too cinematic" when all they need do is avoid those games.

Okay, but you could say that for any game. That's just a way to throw criticism out the window (and before you say "I'm only talking about the haters!", my entire point is that you're too comfortable setting aside a "crowd" of people). 

The irony must be lost. 

"Detroit: Become Human is going to generate a ton of negativity from the expected "omg it's not a game it's a movie" crowd who cannot stand the idea that others might like something they do not. I don't think that counts because they've already made up their minds that they'll hate it."

You act as though being part of said crowd is mutually exclusive with not understanding how others can enjoy such a product, and then simultaneously shut down the crowd by saying that it doesn't count cause "they've already made up their minds that they'll hate it."

In other words, you can not understand why those people might not like such a game, or that there might in fact be legitimate reasons for it, and thus you just act like the ideas are ludicrous. 



Link to the VGChartz Discord server: https://discord.gg/2uMTaYtv

Someday you will die somehow 

And something's gonna steal your carbon 

Around the Network
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
pokoko said:

Don't make up arguments.  I was clear with what I was talking about.  There are people who attack games that they see as "too cinematic" when all they need do is avoid those games.

Okay, but you could say that for any game. That's just a way to throw criticism out the window (and before you say "I'm only talking about the haters!", my entire point is that you're too comfortable setting aside a "crowd" of people). 

The irony must be lost. 

"Detroit: Become Human is going to generate a ton of negativity from the expected "omg it's not a game it's a movie" crowd who cannot stand the idea that others might like something they do not. I don't think that counts because they've already made up their minds that they'll hate it."

You act as though being part of said crowd is mutually exclusive with not understanding how others can enjoy such a product, and then simultaneously shut down the crowd by saying that it doesn't count cause "they've already made up their minds that they'll hate it."

In other words, you can not understand why those people might not like such a game, or that there might in fact be legitimate reasons for it, and thus you just act like the ideas are ludicrous. 

How are you not understanding this?  I'm talking about people who attack games they know they won't like because they have a problem with those games existing.  Are you defending that?  "Cinematic games shouldn't be made because I don't like them" might be a "legitimate reason" in your mind but I think it's ridiculous and I have zero problem telling you that.



pokoko said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Okay, but you could say that for any game. That's just a way to throw criticism out the window (and before you say "I'm only talking about the haters!", my entire point is that you're too comfortable setting aside a "crowd" of people). 

The irony must be lost. 

"Detroit: Become Human is going to generate a ton of negativity from the expected "omg it's not a game it's a movie" crowd who cannot stand the idea that others might like something they do not. I don't think that counts because they've already made up their minds that they'll hate it."

You act as though being part of said crowd is mutually exclusive with not understanding how others can enjoy such a product, and then simultaneously shut down the crowd by saying that it doesn't count cause "they've already made up their minds that they'll hate it."

In other words, you can not understand why those people might not like such a game, or that there might in fact be legitimate reasons for it, and thus you just act like the ideas are ludicrous. 

How are you not understanding this?  I'm talking about people who attack games they know they won't like because they have a problem with those games existing.  Are you defending that?  "Cinematic games shouldn't be made because I don't like them" might be a "legitimate reason" in your mind but I think it's ridiculous and I have zero problem telling you that.

And I'm saying it's clear you are just generalizing a crowd to make a point about how such an idea should not be given any credit to it. As well as the inherent irony in your statement. 

And, no matter how much you use the words "attack" and "with those games existing" it doesn't enrich your point, it just makes the wording sound more villainous to drive a narrative. In real life application, what that means is you don't want people who most likely know they won't like a game to criticize it. Unfortunately, people can make very valid points and criticisms while still generally being against a certain type of game. It's not always the case of course(see: the Souls games), but it happens and it shouldn't be discouraged based on principal. 

I've actually never heard "Cinematic games shouldn't be made because I don't like them" so more than likely you're just exaggerating the "crowd" of people who actually have legitimate gripes with such a genre. 

Last edited by AngryLittleAlchemist - on 29 April 2018

Link to the VGChartz Discord server: https://discord.gg/2uMTaYtv

Someday you will die somehow 

And something's gonna steal your carbon 

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
pokoko said:

How are you not understanding this?  I'm talking about people who attack games they know they won't like because they have a problem with those games existing.  Are you defending that?  "Cinematic games shouldn't be made because I don't like them" might be a "legitimate reason" in your mind but I think it's ridiculous and I have zero problem telling you that.

And I'm saying it's clear you are just generalizing a crowd to make a point about how such an idea should not be given any credit to it. As well as the inherent irony in your statement. 

And, no matter how much you use the words "attack" and "with those games existing" it doesn't enrich your point, it just makes the wording sound more villainous to drive a narrative. In real life application, what that means is you don't want people who most likely know they won't like a game to criticize it. Unfortunately, people can make very valid points and criticisms while still generally being against a certain type of game. It's not always the case of course(see: the Souls games), but it happens and it shouldn't be discouraged based on principal. 

How can I be generalizing a crowd when I've clearly defined the crowd I'm talking about?  That makes no sense.

In a real life application, all you're doing is trying to muddle an argument.  You're either being disingenuous or simply obtuse.  Having an agenda where your purpose is to ruin the enjoyment of others is not something pure or noble.  Maybe you're fine with that, maybe you support that, but I do not.  

Your "people can make very valid points and criticisms" line is especially puzzling, as I've already spelled out the exact criticism I'm talking about.  I don't know why you continue to repeat that as though you haven't read what I've written.  What "valid points and criticisms" are you even talking about?  Where are you getting that?



pokoko said:

In a real life application, all you're doing is trying to muddle an argument.  You're either being disingenuous or simply obtuse.  Having an agenda where your purpose is to ruin the enjoyment of others is not something pure or noble.  Maybe you're fine with that, maybe you support that, but I do not.  

Who are these people and where can I find them? 



Link to the VGChartz Discord server: https://discord.gg/2uMTaYtv

Someday you will die somehow 

And something's gonna steal your carbon 

Something Tomb Raider Something.

 

 

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
pokoko said:

Don't make up arguments.  I was clear with what I was talking about.  There are people who attack games that they see as "too cinematic" when all they need do is avoid those games.

Okay, but you could say that for any game. That's just a way to throw criticism out the window (and before you say "I'm only talking about the haters!", my entire point is that you're too comfortable setting aside a "crowd" of people). 

The irony must be lost. 

"Detroit: Become Human is going to generate a ton of negativity from the expected "omg it's not a game it's a movie" crowd who cannot stand the idea that others might like something they do not. I don't think that counts because they've already made up their minds that they'll hate it."

You act as though being part of said crowd is mutually exclusive with not understanding how others can enjoy such a product, and then simultaneously shut down the crowd by saying that it doesn't count cause "they've already made up their minds that they'll hate it."

In other words, you can not understand why those people might not like such a game, or that there might in fact be legitimate reasons for it, and thus you just act like the ideas are ludicrous. 

The irony is, you're confirming the original statement, trying to sell peoples personal views as legitimate reviews. We all know what pokoko is talking about, and you're seriously chosing to defend it? Why don't you just say that you don't like this game genre of interactive movie...



Hunting Season is done...