By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ps4 with APU using 7nm processor?

Any tech heads out there know if this technology is any closer to being used in a ps4? I believe Sony won't release a ps4 super slim or pro slim until they can use the 7nm tech. 

Also let's say ps5 is out in 2.5 years. Will that use 7nm aswell or can they go lower? 

Around the Network

Apples A12 SoC that will power their newest smart devices will quite certainly hit the market in the second half of this year as the first 7nm mass product. The process will be exclusive to high margin chips for about 1.5 years and then imo Sony will very certainly use it for a new PS4 model.

An end of 2020 PS5 will also be using 7nm chips, while the high margin products at that point should have migrated to the 7+nm process using the new EUV lithography.

March of this year ASML (afaik biggest manufacturer of EUVL systems) announced serious problems with the development of the 5nm process, so I wouldn't expect that one before 2024.

Kerotan said:

Any tech heads out there know if this technology is any closer to being used in a ps4? I believe Sony won't release a ps4 super slim or pro slim until they can use the 7nm tech. 

Also let's say ps5 is out in 2.5 years. Will that use 7nm aswell or can they go lower? 

7nm to 5 nm is still possible for cheaper price   , below then that it's also possible but it will be expensive (moor law/ not worth it)   . 

So i believe they will using 7 nm  (it was previously mention by Digital foundry ) another reason is  AMD still struggling on 5 nm size.  

Kerotan said:

AMD will only come out next year with 7nm chips, only having some test chips right now. But for a console next year would still be too soon because the low yield rates in the beginning of a node production makes them more expensive early on than the previous, bigger node and chips.

So a superslim in 7nm may come (and I'm pretty sure it will come), but not before 2020. Probably trimmed down as usual with connections and other parts to make it cheaper to produce, so it could be sold for 199$ or even somewhat less.

PS5 certainly will also use a 7nm process, otherwise the chip will get too big, hence too hot and too expensive. Which is the main reason why I don't believe any rumors of any earlier release than 2020 for that one.

Kerotan said:

I expect to see to see ps4 super slim on 7nm in summer/late summer next year (2019) same with xbox one. We might not see a slim version of xbox one x and ps4 pro as they are low selling consoles and probably not worth the effort.

ps5 will very likely use 7nm and I don't expect them to use 5nm at all. It cost a lot of money designing chips on nodes nowadays. Because of this AMD/Nvidia/Microsoft and Sony will probably skip 5nm and jump to 3nm when available, as they all skipped 20nm and 10nm. But they will use 7nm before 3nm.

6x master league achiever in starcraft2

Beaten Sigrun on God of war mode

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

1-0 against Grubby in Wc3 frozen throne ladder!!

Around the Network
HollyGamer said:
Kerotan said:

7nm to 5 nm is still possible for cheaper price   , below then that it's also possible but it will be expensive (moor law/ not worth it)   . 

So i believe they will using 7 nm  (it was previously mention by Digital foundry ) another reason is  AMD still struggling on 5 nm size.  

Not just AMD everyone in the world is.
7nm so far is the best thats possible for mass production.

Intel are haveing trouble with 10nm..... it was supposed to be usable in 2016..... but now it looks like it wont be ready until 2019.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/4/27/17291040/intel-10nm-cannon-lake-chips-delayed-2019-cpu-processor

"Intel is once again delaying the release of its next-generation 10nm Cannon Lake processors, with mass production on the chips now expected for 2019 instead of the end of 2018."

Thanks for the informative replies. Yeah Sony definitely won't be releasing the ps5 until the 7nm tech is ready for mass production. Could a ps4 Pro in say 2024 use 3nm?

JRPGfan said:
HollyGamer said:

Not just AMD everyone in the world is.
7nm so far is the best thats possible for mass production.

Intel are haveing trouble with 10nm..... it was supposed to be usable in 2016..... but now it looks like it wont be ready until 2019.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/4/27/17291040/intel-10nm-cannon-lake-chips-delayed-2019-cpu-processor

"Intel is once again delaying the release of its next-generation 10nm Cannon Lake processors, with mass production on the chips now expected for 2019 instead of the end of 2018."

Yeah , agree 

Kerotan said:

ps4? No

ps5? 100% yes

Kerotan said:
Thanks for the informative replies. Yeah Sony definitely won't be releasing the ps5 until the 7nm tech is ready for mass production. Could a ps4 Pro in say 2024 use 3nm?

no, as I said, the 5nm is facing lots of problems right now (that won't be resolved for years) and those will just get more complex in 3nm with highly increased quantum tunnel effects etc