By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Kimishima: Nintendo will continue to make 3DS software in 2019 and beyond!

GBA was kept alive for years after the DS was released. PS2 was kept around for four years after the PS3, and even had a major release in 2007 with God of War 2.

This stuff happens, and if Nintendo can manage it while still keeping up a strong slate of Switch titles, I say let them. I mean, I still own mine. There’s over 72 million of them out in the world, and Nintendo wants to move another 4 million this year.

The Switch is still $300. It’s too big to really be considered pocket-sized. As I see it, there’s still a market for a cheap, pocketable portable device worth supporting with occasional software. It’s not like they’re putting the next Zelda or Pokemon on it or something.

Around the Network

Most are ports or remakes. So no problem to me.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

They refuse to leave the handheld below the 80m units sold, I suppose! XD

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Nintendo didnt mentione at all 3DS for their E3 plans not even for Tree House (and we had last year 3DS at E3 TreeHouse), so you know how exatly support we cant expect for 3DS in 2019. and "beyond".

Commendable, but I can't help but think how much money Nintendo passed on with not putting the Luigi's mansion remake on Switch instead. I pretty sure it would sell much better on Switch.

Around the Network

And they couldn't fit Dragon Quest XI into that schedule? I'd take the 3DS version in 2019 but I guess the Switch version is taking priority.

For the fiscal year the 3DS platform generated gross sales of 188 Billion Yen = appx $1.7 Billion USD (current exchange rate). Even if the 3DS line only does half of that next year, you are still talking about $800 million or so in gross revenue.

The 3DS is still a great option for younger kids, and the install base in general is still large. And it's not like the software titles they are putting out on 3DS are placing heavy demands on Nintendo. However, I could see Nintendo reducing the number of hardware SKUs as sales decline.

Apple still sell iPods on their website, so I don't see why Nintendo can't keep the 3DS in production for awhile!

Ljink96 said:
And they couldn't fit Dragon Quest XI into that schedule? I'd take the 3DS version in 2019 but I guess the Switch version is taking priority.

That wasn't Nintendo's decision though, right? It was Squeenix's.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Ljink96 said:

That wasn't Nintendo's decision though, right? It was Squeenix's.

I know, but I'd think Nintendo would want to put that game in it's 2019 lineup as a strong RPG for 3DS. They can approach Square Enix about localization but I know Nintendo probably doesn't want to publish it but for 2019 games, DQXI would make so much sense.

one game a year. I feel bad for the 3DS,after so many years of hating it. Its being kept on life support

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick