By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (NS) is the most successful stand alone Zelda title (not counting remasters/other versions)

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild will be the most successful Zelda title combined across all versions.

Yes. 55 88.71%

No. 3 4.84%

Maybe so. 4 6.45%

Total:62
contestgamer said:
Not bad, but when counting sales inflation of games compared to the 90's its really closer to being 5 million to OOT's 7.6. Take the best selling game of this gen and compare it to the best selling game of the ps/n64 gen to find the difference then divide BOTW numbers with that difference to get pre inflation sales numbers. Decent but not ground breaking

You Can (Not) Downplay

Around the Network

Can you imagine 10 years from now what it will be like when they "remake" BOTW? 

contestgamer said:
Not bad, but when counting sales inflation of games compared to the 90's its really closer to being 5 million to OOT's 7.6. Take the best selling game of this gen and compare it to the best selling game of the ps/n64 gen to find the difference then divide BOTW numbers with that difference to get pre inflation sales numbers. Decent but not ground breaking

Let's see...

The best selling game of the 5th gen was Pokemon Red/Green/Blue at 31.37 million, and the best selling game of the 8th gen is Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 at 26.46 million. I guess that means Breath of the Wild on Switch alone has actually sold 10.05 million when compared to OoT's 7.6 million.

Oh wait, never mind. I forgot, we're in the 9th gen now because of the Switch. So... the best selling 9th gen game is Super Mario Odyssey at 10.41 million...

Breath of the Wild on Switch has sold 25.55 million when compared to OoT.

Roar_Of_War said:
contestgamer said:

Most ridiculous spin I’ve ever read rofl. That isn’t logical at all, and even more so when you realize BOTWs numbers are barely a year old. Inflation my rear, BOTW pulled these numbers with an even smaller installbase than OoT, one of which was a dead system that wasn’t even being sold by Nintendo anymore (Wii U)

Bringing in outside games to determine that is laughable, too. They have nothing to do with the entire market.

Point is mainstream games sell more than they did in the 90s. BOTW sales figures are not as impressive as OOT's were in the 90's due to inflation of sales. The franchise has gone LESS mainstream over the years.

StarDoor said:
contestgamer said:

Let's see...

The best selling game of the 5th gen was Pokemon Red/Green/Blue at 31.37 million, and the best selling game of the 8th gen is Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 at 26.46 million. I guess that means Breath of the Wild on Switch alone has actually sold 10.05 million when compared to OoT's 7.6 million.

Oh wait, never mind. I forgot, we're in the 9th gen now because of the Switch. So... the best selling 9th gen game is Super Mario Odyssey at 10.41 million...

No you gotta add up the multiplats because thats what youre doing with BOTW sales anyway. GTA 5 is over 50 mil. Minecraft is over 50 mil. Many CODS are over 20. In the 90s besides Pokemon how many games broke 20? 

Around the Network
couchmonkey said:
contestgamer said:

Does that make The Legend of Zelda (NES) the king then?

No because Mario Bros sold more than anything on the n64/ps1.

That's incredible, I think it can beat OoT N64 and 3DS combined.

Pavolink said:

In my case, BotW overworld is how I expected TP's world to be.

Would a BotW-like overworld have even been possible to make on the Gamecube? :p

Last edited by Keybladewielder - on 28 April 2018

StarDoor said:
contestgamer said:

Let's see...

HAHA, this post made my day :D

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Keybladewielder said:

That's incredible, I think it can beat OoT N64 and 3DS combined.

Pavolink said:

In my case, BotW overworld is how I expected TP's world to be.

Would a BotW-like overworld have even been possible to make on the Gamecube? :p

I don't know about the size or the physics, but I believe towns and forests it can.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Congrats to Nintendo! Can't help but feel really sad though, since BotW (Along with ALBW) completely killed my interest in what used to be my favorite gaming franchise. Oh well, whatever makes them money...

I swear I'll make a spiritual successor to classic 3D Zelda someday once I become a game developer, that gameplay style is just too good to stay dead.

Last edited by Vini256 - on 28 April 2018