By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - God Of War Is Not A Masterpiece ...

GribbleGrunger said:
MTZehvor said:

O/T: As others have said, I think OP would be benefitted by a bit more brevity. I do think it's entirely fair to analyze the game's story this heavily, especially when the narrative and characters are some of the main selling points of the game and have been praised consistently, but I feel that you'd be better served by listing one or two main complaints, and then going through and explaining how these are embodied in the game. If you want to focus on inconsistencies in the narrative's tone, then it might be better to state that up front and pick a few examples that last maybe a paragraph or so. As it stands, getting a seven paragraph summary of the opening scene (which most of the people reading this will already be familiar with) with so many of the details (relevant to your argument or not) included just makes it harder for people to understand where the argument is going, as well as more likely to stop reading. Personally, I had to re-read a couple of times to figure out specifically what the major complaints were.

There's not really that much more I need to add. That is the perfect example of the problem I have with the game. If you're going to make a serious stab at a narrative driven game (within the body of an open world game of course) then you have to find ways of retaining the narrative beats, the emotional context and the way you want the player to play/feel/interact. The boat and the stories told there are a perfect example of how to 'avoid' the problem, but there are many more linear moments that jar badly simply because the writers reached for the easy way out instead of contextualising them. Lines that essentially just state: 'I'm angry now, I'm sad now, I'm fighting inner demons now' etc. 

I'm suggesting you do the exact opposite; subtract, rather than add. Instead of recounting the entire scene where the problem you have with the game takes place and taking seven paragraphs to address two points, just quickly outline the problems and maybe spend a paragraph briefly describing the examples where the issues take place. For instance, if you think the shift in tone between the burning the wife's body and killing the troll is incongruous, something like this would suffice;

"The tone wildly shifts between the burning of Feye's body and the end of the first miniboss. It starts off somber, then becomes almost silly when Arteus spouts off a one liner worthy of a Saturday morning cartoon, and finally just embraces pure absurdity after the battle when Arteus runs up and starts stabbing the troll's corpse. It's hard to take the scene seriously when the characters' actions and dialogue are all over the place tonally."

That's not going to be a perfect example, as there's almost assuredly something I haven't included in there that's an issue to you, but I think it gets the point across. It sums up what I believe is one of your complaints in a succinct paragraph that's easy to read, and people won't simply skim over.

Around the Network
PwerlvlAmy said:
I feel the game overall is a masterpiece and this is coming from someone who hates the god of war series. 1,2,3,PSP entires ranged from mediocre to just ok at best. They weren't that great at all and were mostly over hyped. This entry however after playing it showed that the changed was much needed.

I've stated multiple times before I played it that I wanted to wait and see it for myself before jumping on the hype train that people seem to want to do for every new release before they even play it. Based off the mixed reaction from old school GOW fans and new school, this game was going to be either something special or a mixed bag.

Having played it I can say from the cinematic way its directed scene by scene,music,pacing,story that this is indeed up their with masterpieces such as Breath Of The Wild,Odyssey,Uncharted 4(albeit i do not like the series that much). It's up there with the juggernauts of this generation.

So while I disagree with you on the notion that this game isn't a masterpiece. I however feel you're justified in saying it isn't one,because at the end of the day that is your own opinion. People giving you a hard time for your own opinion,id just ignore them to be honest. They're just overly invested in a product. Keep doing you and having your own opinion.

I don't have any problem with people giving me a hard time. If I'm to have my opinion then others should have theirs. That's how I've always been and always will be. Arguing who is right and who is wrong only gets tiresome for me when, for whatever reason, some people begin attacking the person and not the point. 

The PS5 Exists. 

GribbleGrunger said:
PwerlvlAmy said:
I feel the game overall is a masterpiece and this is coming from someone who hates the god of war series. 1,2,3,PSP entires ranged from mediocre to just ok at best. They weren't that great at all and were mostly over hyped. This entry however after playing it showed that the changed was much needed.

I've stated multiple times before I played it that I wanted to wait and see it for myself before jumping on the hype train that people seem to want to do for every new release before they even play it. Based off the mixed reaction from old school GOW fans and new school, this game was going to be either something special or a mixed bag.

Having played it I can say from the cinematic way its directed scene by scene,music,pacing,story that this is indeed up their with masterpieces such as Breath Of The Wild,Odyssey,Uncharted 4(albeit i do not like the series that much). It's up there with the juggernauts of this generation.

So while I disagree with you on the notion that this game isn't a masterpiece. I however feel you're justified in saying it isn't one,because at the end of the day that is your own opinion. People giving you a hard time for your own opinion,id just ignore them to be honest. They're just overly invested in a product. Keep doing you and having your own opinion.

I don't have any problem with people giving me a hard time. If I'm to have my opinion then others should have theirs. That's how I've always been and always will be. Arguing who is right and who is wrong only gets tiresome for me when, for whatever reason, some people begin attacking the person and not the point. 

Yup but sadly most of the time that's how it ends up when you criticize something people feel 100% you HAVE to like. They'll go personal. That is very tiresome you're correct.

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

MTZehvor said:

I'm suggesting you do the exact opposite; subtract, rather than add. Instead of recounting the entire scene where the problem you have with the game takes place and taking seven paragraphs to address two points, just quickly outline the problems and maybe spend a paragraph briefly describing the examples where the issues take place. For instance, if you think the shift in tone between the burning the wife's body and killing the troll is incongruous, something like this would suffice;

"The tone wildly shifts between the burning of Feye's body and the end of the first miniboss. It starts off somber, then becomes almost silly when Arteus spouts off a one liner worthy of a Saturday morning cartoon, and finally just embraces pure absurdity after the battle when Arteus runs up and starts stabbing the troll's corpse. It's hard to take the scene seriously when the characters' actions and dialogue are all over the place tonally."

That's not going to be a perfect example, as there's almost assuredly something I haven't included in there that's an issue to you, but I think it gets the point across. It sums up what I believe is one of your complaints in a succinct paragraph that's easy to read, and people won't simply skim over.

It's the mechanics surrounding and presenting those themes that are at fault. As I said, it is a game after all and I do recognise there has to be some tutorial moments leading up to the first difficult fight. Moments are set up in order to create a feeling or emotion in the player that makes the pay off more memorable. If the journey between those moments is too long or not re-enforced tonally, either through clever gameplay dialogue or contextual animations, then the pay off doesn't work because the player has lost that emotional narrative.  He/she is no longer connected and the final pay off feels jarring. 

The PS5 Exists. 

deskpro2k3 said:
Let this thread go out silently. In a nutshell the OP arguments is basically like this. Example: Bosses are too weak on Easy Mode.

That's not even remotely true.

OP brought up the map sucking and then some portions of questionable writing.

Around the Network

Its better than just a "good game", if it isnt a master peice, what games truely are?

This is like saying BoTW is just a "good game" btw, even if that game probably took less work than God of War did.

deskpro2k3 said:
Let this thread go out silently. In a nutshell the OP arguments is basically like this. Example: Bosses are too weak on Easy Mode.

That's an absurd comparison. He's talking about central story elements/exploration, which are present regardless of how you play the game, and not something as easily subverted as adjusting the difficulty to make bosses harder.

Reminds me of BotW. I could come up with a pretty decent list of potential improvements for it and point out some flaws, but that does not mean it isn't a masterpiece.

Really, I'd be curious if anyone can think of a "masterpiece" that we can't think of ways to improve. I rather doubt it.

It is to me.

bubblegamer said:
The opinion of someone who is 60 years old? Nothing is for everyone you know.

That's not cool dude. Age has nothing do to with the validity of an opinion. That's a prejudice, don't be like that ok?