By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - God Of War Is Not A Masterpiece ...

Johnw1104 said:
Reminds me of BotW. I could come up with a pretty decent list of potential improvements for it and point out some flaws, but that does not mean it isn't a masterpiece.

Really, I'd be curious if anyone can think of a "masterpiece" that we can't think of ways to improve. I rather doubt it.

Me or rather I should say my mind, it's a masterpiece that cannot be improved because it's at the apex of perfection. Not my body though, my body could definitely use a few improvements...

Around the Network
MTZehvor said:
StreaK said:
Haha dude, just let it go. The game's a masterpiece, alright? Just because YOU say it isn't doesn't make it so. It has far more perfect scores than any other scores.

Too bad you have to analyze all of that about the game. I mean damn, I was like...seriously??? This dude is going there???

Just sit back and enjoy the freaking game because it does soooooo many things right. And to be honest, as a GAME Naughty Dog has a LOT to learn from Santa Monica here. And this is coming from someone who regards TLOU as one of the greatest games ever made. I think GOW has it beat man.

The bolded part confuses me quite a bit, because whether or not something is a "masterpiece" is entirely subjective. The OP is arguing that, to him, the game isn't as good as others have said it is. You're essentially saying "Your opinion is invalidated because a whole bunch of people have different opinions."

O/T: As others have said, I think OP would be benefitted by a bit more brevity. I do think it's entirely fair to analyze the game's story this heavily, especially when the narrative and characters are some of the main selling points of the game and have been praised consistently, but I feel that you'd be better served by listing one or two main complaints, and then going through and explaining how these are embodied in the game. If you want to focus on inconsistencies in the narrative's tone, then it might be better to state that up front and pick a few examples that last maybe a paragraph or so. As it stands, getting a seven paragraph summary of the opening scene (which most of the people reading this will already be familiar with) with so many of the details (relevant to your argument or not) included just makes it harder for people to understand where the argument is going, as well as more likely to stop reading. Personally, I had to re-read a couple of times to figure out specifically what the major complaints were.

Hey, I actually have nothing against HIS opinion. He could say the film Godfather sucks, but it is a known fact it is universally heralded as a masterpiece. Of course even the most WELL MADE things aren't going to be for everyone. Something could pretty much nail almost everything right and a few people will state why it's not great. That's fine. Heck, if EVERYONE loved everything exactly the same it would obviously be rather boring.

All I'm saying is that in these cases, you have to look at what the MAJORITY are saying. Do you think I care if people tell me the film Titanic is for teenage girls??? Hell no, I consider it a masterpiece and the box office and oscars prove that I'm not in the minority. Something like Titanic to me is more of a masterpiece than anything else based on the evidence of word of mouth, reviews, box office and video sales. Why should it bother me if a few people are going to tell me it isn't a masterpiece. How can they possibly convince me it's not?

As for GOW, there's no denying it...most consider it a masterpiece and I myself was skeptical as well until I have finally bought the game and played it myself. These people are not on drugs like I thought haha. You just need one hour with the game and beating the first boss to be convinced just how spectacular the game is.

PwerlvlAmy said:
GribbleGrunger said:

I don't have any problem with people giving me a hard time. If I'm to have my opinion then others should have theirs. That's how I've always been and always will be. Arguing who is right and who is wrong only gets tiresome for me when, for whatever reason, some people begin attacking the person and not the point. 

Yup but sadly most of the time that's how it ends up when you criticize something people feel 100% you HAVE to like. They'll go personal. That is very tiresome you're correct.

Lol, no one ever says anything about you having to like it or not.

When you say something like GOW is not a masterpiece you better write it as something more on the lines of "Why I think GOW is not a masterpiece" so that it doesn't sound like fact. It may not be a masterpiece to HIM and that's fine, but there will be many more who disagree with that.

You better believe I'll come down on this considering almost every single review I have read is calling it a masterpiece. Heck, I'M calling it that and I was one of those not hyped for it. I was actually considering getting it once it goes on sale. What a mistake that would have been. So yeah, this sort of thread is kinda no different than those click-bait reviews that would give this game a 40. 

Yep, I fell for it.

MTZehvor said:
deskpro2k3 said:
Let this thread go out silently. In a nutshell the OP arguments is basically like this. Example: Bosses are too weak on Easy Mode.

That's an absurd comparison. He's talking about central story elements/exploration, which are present regardless of how you play the game, and not something as easily subverted as adjusting the difficulty to make bosses harder.

An absurd comparison is only fitting for an absurd argument as seen in the contents in the OP when paired with the thread title. it's boarder line joke thread material. I can't believe people is taking this seriously, but I do have to say bravo, this is a great way to earn points.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

I don't know if i would consider it a masterpiece, i will have to ponder on that for a while but i think it will end up among my top 10 games of the generation. I loved the combat, i loved the world and it told a great story. I have some small annoyances like being forced into combat when i just want to explore and i don't think the Niflheim grind got a bit tedious but i don't think these things diminish how fantastic this game is.

Around the Network
CrazyGamer2017 said:
Johnw1104 said:
Reminds me of BotW. I could come up with a pretty decent list of potential improvements for it and point out some flaws, but that does not mean it isn't a masterpiece.

Really, I'd be curious if anyone can think of a "masterpiece" that we can't think of ways to improve. I rather doubt it.

Me or rather I should say my mind, it's a masterpiece that cannot be improved because it's at the apex of perfection. Not my body though, my body could definitely use a few improvements...

Well shit man go fix this world then, what are you doing wasting your time here??

I haven't said it's a bad game, I'm merely addressing the collective madness that took hold of the industry, some of which actually compared it to TLOU, a true masterpiece. The map criticism hasn't got anything to do with the reviewers though. It's just terrible.

I'd give the game's narrative 7/10 but I'd give the game as a whole 9/10, just because of the sheer volume of content, incredible set pieces, animations and graphics. But it's not a masterpiece.

141, 096 points!!! Woot. 

The PS5 Exists. 

GribbleGrunger said:

I haven't said it's a bad game, I'm merely addressing the collective madness that took hold of the industry, some of which actually compared it to TLOU, a true masterpiece. The map criticism hasn't got anything to do with the reviewers though. It's just terrible.

I'd give the game's narrative 7/10 but I'd give the game as a whole 9/10, just because of the sheer volume of content, incredible set pieces, animations and graphics. But it's not a masterpiece.

141, 096 points!!! Woot. 

That isnt a recent thing tho same thing happend with haze lair warhawk mag etc. Etc.

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

kirby007 said:
GribbleGrunger said:

141, 096 points!!! Woot. 

That isnt a recent thing tho same thing happend with haze lair warhawk mag etc. Etc.

I can't testify for those games because I didn't experience them. I was the very first on GAF to say MGS5 wasn't the game everyone was saying it was. I don't do honeymoon periods.

The PS5 Exists. 

I dont know about Neil's pedigree without bruce, but we will find out. Regarding last of us.. the game heavily relies on its world and music, story wasn't anything special, besides two or three moments which stood out and made the game intense. The rush neil and bruce managed to achieve in the opening sequence in Last of US, Cory consistently managed to maintain that in my entire 25+ hrs of gameplay.

Not to mention Cory broke down a genre, made a one dimensional character into multilayered character but keeping his core intact, in my books that a huge achievement and not to mention weaving a lore in a mythology is damn difficult. On the other hand Neil and bruce almost ruined uncharted for me.. thats not the kind of reinvention I wanted.

So the end product in god of war be it music production, gameplay, story, character development, single shot camera all this trumps to what neil and bruce has achieved so far , exception being Uncharted 2, But again Bruce was the director in both project that Neil has worked on.

So my thoughts are completely opposite to yours. The Last of US is a good game but no where people had praised it, and god of war kind of took me by surprise 

Last edited by taus90 - on 25 April 2018