By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - (Opinion): God of War has the best side Content/End Game content ever

Best side content among these eight contenders.

The Witcher 3. 9 21.43%

God of War. 15 35.71%

GTA 5. 0 0%

Zelda BoTW 10 23.81%

Horizon Zero dawn. 2 4.76%

NieR Automata. 1 2.38%

Bloodborne/Souls 3 1 2.38%

Nioh 0 0%

Other/commetns/middle America... 4 9.52%

Total:42

Ok I’m not going to read through the yet because I’ve only just started it and don’t want to spoil anything
However there is something I’d like to know, are there any missable collectables? Or can you concentrate on them after after completing the main story?

PSN ID: Stokesy 

Add me if you want but let me know youre from this website

Around the Network
John2290 said:
StokedUp said:
Ok I’m not going to read through the yet because I’ve only just started it and don’t want to spoil anything
However there is something I’d like to know, are there any missable collectables? Or can you concentrate on them after after completing the main story?

Just platinumed it actually. No missible trophies or content. You never get locked out of anything however keeping track of what you've done in the game can be an issue, it doesn't do the Horzion thing where you can buy maps to unlock collectibles on your map so you're going to be confused a tad. You can see what areas you've gotten stuff which narrows it down but in the end I had to resort to guides to clear up the last few collectibles as some are VERY hard to find, the crows in particular are near invisible and you have to listen for the sound they make. Best advice if to just play the game and enjoy it and let the chips lie where they may when you wanna clear everything up. 

Thanks for the info man! At least I now know I can just sit back and enjoy the game and story without thinking I could have missed something! :)

PSN ID: Stokesy 

Add me if you want but let me know youre from this website

John2290 said:
Random_Matt said:
How did Horizon get close? Sorry friend, but 99% of all RPG's/Adventure games have shockingly too much filler, witcher 3 included. It's about time games treated side quests in the same manner as main missions.

They quests had a level of narrative to them that wasn't just a fetch quest type deal. I said close, after all. The witcher 3 included? Have you played the game? ^_^ Perhaps they did it so well you didn't notice. I missed a lot of how masterclass it is also until I replayed my second time, straight story for the platinum on the highest difficulty and seen just how much content I thought was actually main story my first time around and how much of the side content you can skip or take a completely different route through.

Completed W3 three times in a row, still loved the game.

John2290 said:
adisababa said:
God of War 4's side content is worth it if you want to listen to Mimir's stories or just want to see some cool father son interactions. I wish this open world had a lot more life to it, maybe some hidden village where you help people make civilization again, make a farm, anything, because it feels so unwelcoming and cold and unreasonable to do side content knowing that you won't make things that different other than making yourself strong through loot and gear.

Sure you meet some characters along the way, didn't say you didn't. They are poorly written and VA'd as well as having little choice in interaction. What Fallout 4 does that is by far the most unforgivable offence to the Fallouts that came before it is the mass murder you MUST commit in Fallout 4 with no other choice if you want to progress one area of the story. I could forgive the shitty VA, the badly written characters, the lack of wit or amusement to the quests, the "go here clear this closet of mosnsters" quest structure...well, actually no, I can't forgive any of that but the choices you are left with when watered down amount to nothing more than wiping out a faction or mass murder to pick a side, that is most unforgivable.

I have to disagree with you on Fallout 4's side content, I agree that there are those kinds of radiant quests that are copy paste content but there are many that reward exploration and introduce some great characters and companions. I mean there's one where you find a guy who is trying to make this weird serum that makes you impervious to radiation but it all goes wrong and in the end he dies giving me the serum, there's another where a boy is taking refuge in a fridge and asks me to find his parents, another one where you help the radio man go on a date with some lady in diamond city, finding the detective's wife's killer, finding a human body for a robot to fulfill her dream of becoming a human and so many more of those character driven quests. I've never cared for voice acting that much but God of War is amazingly voice acted and has some really amazing characters that feel real, I wish there were more of those interactions or just more people to meet. 

Yes I know that there are those lazily made, procedurally generated quests but there are those that build on the commonwealth and make it look alive filled with weird and likeable characters. Yes the main story isn't the best in terms of storytelling but in terms of a living and immersive open world filled with real characters I feel like Fallout 4 is one of the greats among Witcher 3, Red Dead Redemption and Watch Dogs 2. 

God of war's side quests have a very repetitive structure to them, you kill stuff and you earn gear, it doesn't flesh out the world or build on the characters. Feels like a missed opportunity to look at how humans have been affected and how they try to survive in this flooded and devastated area. You see humans ONCE in this whole game, in the whole world and they're just enemies you have to kill. You can probably never meet Freya (another cool character) either. 

Yeah there seems to be a lot of content. I went to one of the optional realms today. It's the equivalent of doing the post game challenges such as the challenge of Olympus in gow3. Very enjoyable. I will be spending many hours post game.

Around the Network
John2290 said:
Hiku said:

I'd suggest Yakuza 0 then, even though it's not on the new PS4 engine.
If you can spare 6 minutes to listen to this guy (maybe download it as an MP3 and listen while you're out and about) describe his thoughts on the game and in particular the side content. The amount of time he spent just racing toy cars may sound crazy, but I find that it's common for Yakuza playthroughs to have very long save file hours clocked in because of things like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxh9EVV6J1s

If you don't have time to listen to it, then Tl;Dr, it was his first Yakuza game, and its one of the best games he's ever played. "The amount of time effort and care they put into the side quests and mini games is second to none. There are mini games in Yakuza 0 that rival actual games."

So I just got to the Domija family HQ and fought my way out. Thoughts so far, this game is incredible dated in gameplay, level deisgn, combat, camera...the only thing that isn't dated is the facial animations yet you get dialouge slides with static faces for the most part. Am I missing something that is supposed to stand out? The combat is pretty fun and gives me nostalgia but it's also clunky, the story is mildly intriguing however constant comic books dialouge slides with no option to speed it up, only skip sentence or skip the entire scene. 

The story starts getting interesting after you switch over to the more interesting protagonist of this game, Goro Majima. Before that I would also call it mildly intriguing. If not slightly dragging. There are so many side stories and dialogue in this game that the most common way scenes are presented is without mocap facial animations or voice overs. Since you enjoyed stories largely being developed through item descriptions in Bloodborne, I didn't expect lack of facial animations to be one of your concerns though.
Gameplay is a rather broad term, and Yakuza does things that other games don't, so you'll have to specify which ones you're referring to, and how you have an issue with them.

I would say almost every one of the many hundreds of games I've played in my life can be labeled under "dated gameplay" in many aspects. The birthday of the technology has never been an inherent issue for me. Chrono Trigger having it's story presented through text boxes was far from the first, or the last, story I'd enjoy being presented that way. I still do to this day. I'm playing through a visual novel style game right now called Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma. The way the story and the puzzles are presented date back several console generations (aside from the flowchart system). But I didn't give that a single thought. And that Nier's combat is very reminiscent of DMC and Bayonetta was the last of my concerns.

You asked for games that focused on well developed and fleshed out side content. I wasn't aware that the birth date of the technology is an inherent problem for you, or I wouldn't have mentioned Yakuza 0. And probably not any game for that matter.

Anyway, combat is mainly just a silly brawler that's supposed to have impact of attacks feel good. What stands out about Yakuza in this regard is the vast amount of Heat Actions you can perform. Almost any object in your surroundings can trigger a Heat Action if you preform one in it's vicinity, or while holding a particular object, etc.

And there are many unique ones not tied to your surroundings as well.

Some of my issues with the gameplay in Yakuza 0 is not related to the age of the technology, but rather that these aspects have always been annoying, since the dawn of videogaming.
One is that encountering punks in the street who pick a fight with you locks you into a secluded space which you cannot escape until the fight is over. The second is loading times while entering any building. Thankfully they're usually short. But Yakuza 6 not having any loading times when going into buildings does still feel like a nice step up, and you can also run away from fights in that game even after being confronted, so I like that. On the downside though, 6 does not have multiple fighting styles like 0 did, so I'm not sure how I feel about that. (Have yet to play 6)

When it comes to gameplay in general, much of what stands out in Yakuza is difficult to go over without spoiling the experience. But aside form the main story, which gets really good after a slow buildup, most of this is found in side content. And the mix of silly humor with a much more serious tone works surprisingly well here.

As for stage design, what do you wish was different?
For this game the idea is to make a smaller open world area, with a lot of detail and experiences within it to make the city feel more alive thanks to so much effort being put into all the things you can do and people you can meet within it.

Keep in mind that much of the side content is already available to do, and it's not something you should wait until the end of the game to get into. Rather, take a break from the main story at times and explore the city.

Last edited by Hiku - on 27 April 2018

John2290 said:
Hiku said:

The story starts getting interesting after you switch over to the more interesting protagonist of this game, Goro Majima. Before that I would also call it mildly intriguing. If not slightly dragging. There are so many side stories and dialogue in this game that the most common way scenes are presented is without mocap facial animations or voice overs. Since you enjoyed stories largely being developed through item descriptions in Bloodborne, I didn't expect lack of facial animations to be one of your concerns though.
Gameplay is a rather broad term, and Yakuza does things that other games don't, so you'll have to specify which ones you're referring to, and how you have an issue with them.

I would say almost every one of the many hundreds of games I've played in my life can be labeled under "dated gameplay" in many aspects. The birthday of the technology has never been an inherent issue for me. Chrono Trigger having it's story presented through text boxes was far from the first, or the last, story I'd enjoy being presented that way. I still do to this day. I'm playing through a visual novel style game right now called Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma. The way the story and the puzzles are presented date back several console generations (aside from the flowchart system). But I didn't give that a single thought. And that Nier's combat is very reminiscent of DMC and Bayonetta was the last of my concerns.

You asked for games that focused on well developed and fleshed out side content. I wasn't aware that the birth date of the technology is an inherent problem for you, or I wouldn't have mentioned Yakuza 0. And probably not any game for that matter.

Anyway, combat is mainly just a silly brawler that's supposed to have impact of attacks feel good. What stands out about Yakuza in this regard is the vast amount of Heat Actions you can perform. Almost any object in your surroundings can trigger a Heat Action if you preform one in it's vicinity, or while holding a particular object, etc.

And there are many unique ones not tied to your surroundings as well.

Some of my issues with the gameplay in Yakuza 0 is not related to the age of the technology, but rather that these aspects have always been annoying, since the dawn of videogaming.
One is that encountering punks in the street who pick a fight with you locks you into a secluded space which you cannot escape until the fight is over. The second is loading times while entering any building. Thankfully they're usually short. But Yakuza 6 not having any loading times when going into buildings does still feel like a nice step up, and you can also run away from fights in that game even after being confronted, so I like that. On the downside though, 6 does not have multiple fighting styles like 0 did, so I'm not sure how I feel about that. (Have yet to play 6)

When it comes to gameplay in general, much of what stands out in Yakuza is difficult to go over without spoiling the experience. But aside form the main story, which gets really good after a slow buildup, most of this is found in side content. And the mix of silly humor with a much more serious tone works surprisingly well here.

As for stage design, what do you wish was different?
For this game the idea is to make a smaller open world area, with a lot of detail and experiences within it to make the city feel more alive thanks to so much effort being put into all the things you can do and people you can meet within it.

Keep in mind that much of the side content is already available to do, and it's not something you should wait until the end of the game to get into. Rather, take a break from the main story at times and explore the city.

Perhaps its just jarring coming off the back of 80 hours of GoW. It's keeping me playing anyway and I seem to be getting a bit more used to the map and old school controls.

That I can understand. Usually when I've experienced a particular mechanic before, what determines if I'm enjoying it or not is how it's incorporated, and if aspects surrounding it are fun and interesting.
Even though I'd say the game (and the story) gets much more interesting when you're introduced to Majima (Usually Kiryu is the star of the game, but this is Majima's game imo), I'd still recommend exploring Kamurocho now and then before proceeding with the main story.
However, there's nothing you can miss, so don't worry about doing everything before proceeding with the story. You can get to it later.

Last edited by Hiku - on 27 April 2018

Damn, I thought you were being hyperbolic at first. But ... man, the side content in this game is even better than the main content. At least from what I've played(I think i'm about 3/4ths through the main game and 2/4ths through the side content).

I don't know if i'd say it's the "best". I haven't played enough RPGs to make that distinction. I think Dark Souls is better too. And iirc Dragon Age Origins had great side content. But this is up there.

Link to the VGChartz Discord server: https://discord.gg/2uMTaYtv

I haven't beat the game yet but I've doing alot of the optional stuff which are very challenging. Just unlocked impossible trials.... fml.

I have to say it was awesome. Whole new areas of midgard and new realms to explore post game. Very well done.