By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - March NPD 2018. Hardware and Software Results. PS4 #1 for HW. Far Cry 5 #! for SW

zorg1000 said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Of course it doesn't. But if you want to go that route, than you can use a ton of different meanings for the word niche. 

Like for instance "x category of items is a niche"

I would say all things considered it is mainstream, it just isn't so mainstream that its game will automatically get good sales .... (which actually isn't even that uncommon for bigger franchises)

Lets just split the difference and say it falls somewhere in the vast middleground between niche and mainstream.

If we can agree about carnotaurus than surely we can agree on this.

Oh I didn't mean to sound like some asshole who's just arguing for the sake of it.

I guess at the end of the day it is kind of pointless semantics.

I just don't think it's not popular enough to have a brand new video game sell well. It's more of a matter of circumstances, I think - it's not the source material, just the fact that associated products are rarely beloved. That's all I was trying to say, really. But I don't even like the show, so I'm not trying to inflate it's importance.

But yeah, it doesn't really matter what you call it  

Around the Network
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
zorg1000 said:

Lets just split the difference and say it falls somewhere in the vast middleground between niche and mainstream.

If we can agree about carnotaurus than surely we can agree on this.

Oh I didn't mean to sound like some asshole who's just arguing for the sake of it.

I guess at the end of the day it is kind of pointless semantics.

I just don't think it's not popular enough to have a brand new video game sell well. It's more of a matter of circumstances, I think - it's not the source material, just the fact that associated products are rarely beloved. That's all I was trying to say, really. But I don't even like the show, so I'm not trying to inflate it's importance.

But yeah, it doesn't really matter what you call it  

I was going to say i dont think youre an asshole.......then you said you dont like AoT, my opinion has changed.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Wonder how much more SoT sold than MLB, and if MLB could’ve pulled ahead with more than 4 days. Probably not ha.

zorg1000 said:

I was going to say i dont think youre an asshole.......then you said you dont like AoT, my opinion has changed.

Yeah, I'm not surprised. It's very popular and I understand why people like it. It's just not for me. 

Shadow1980 said:

Just in case anyone missed them from the other NPD thread, here's all

Wow, ps4 is only 7.5mill ahead of ps3?? I thought it was a good bit more than that. 

Around the Network
pitzy272 said:
Shadow1980 said:

Just in case anyone missed them from the other NPD thread, here's all

Wow, ps4 is only 7.5mill ahead of ps3?? I thought it was a good bit more than that. 

Don't forget that's US only.

PS4 really did giant numbers in Europe (and ROW), mostly because it gobbled up what Nintendo and Microsoft lost from the previous gen. In the US however, XBO is much better selling, so PS4 has to share with it.

Shadow1980 said:
pitzy272 said:

Well, it is just the U.S. And surprisingly, much of the PS4's lead is due to the holidays:

Overall, the PS4's Q1-Q3 performance in 2015 and 2017 was, respectively, only 3.6% and 6.4% better than what the PS3 did in the same periods in 2008 & 2010. The PS4 did sell 41.1% more units in the first half of 2016 than the PS3 did in the first half of 2009, but the PS4 Slim underperforming substantially compared to the PS3 Slim resulted in the PS4 selling only 12.5% more units for the Q1-Q3 period overall.

Almost half of the PS4's lead over the PS3 in the U.S. comes from the first 14 months on the market, and most of the rest from subsequent holiday periods. Now, that's not a slight against the PS4. It merely shows how the holidays have consumed a much greater portion of the year's sales this generation compared to previous generations.

What are the LTD numbers for PS3, 360, PS4 & XBO?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Shadow1980 said:
zorg1000 said:

What are the LTD numbers for PS3, 360, PS4 & XBO?

Based on the numbers I've catalogued, LTD sales as of the end of Q1 of their 5th full year are (rounded to the nearest 10k units):

PS4: 23.87M
XBO: 20.96M
360: 19.72M
PS3: 16.50M

Thank you, that helps put things into perspective.

The other user said PS4 is only ~7.5m ahead of PS3, thats nearly 50% better lol

Bofferbrauer2 said:
pitzy272 said:

Don't forget that's US only.

PS4 really did giant numbers in Europe (and ROW), mostly because it gobbled up what Nintendo and Microsoft lost from the previous gen. In the US however, XBO is much better selling, so PS4 has to share with it.

Shadow1980 said:
pitzy272 said:

Well, it is just the U.S. And surprisingly, much of the PS4's lead is due to the holidays:

Overall, the PS4's Q1-Q3 performance in 2015 and 2017 was, respectively, only 3.6% and 6.4% better than what the PS3 did in the same periods in 2008 & 2010. The PS4 did sell 41.1% more units in the first half of 2016 than the PS3 did in the first half of 2009, but the PS4 Slim underperforming substantially compared to the PS3 Slim resulted in the PS4 selling only 12.5% more units for the Q1-Q3 period overall.

Almost half of the PS4's lead over the PS3 in the U.S. comes from the first 14 months on the market, and most of the rest from subsequent holiday periods. Now, that's not a slight against the PS4. It merely shows how the holidays have consumed a much greater portion of the year's sales this generation compared to previous generations.

Haha yep, that would explain it. Forgot this was an NPD thread for a moment lol. 

zorg1000 said:
Shadow1980 said:

Based on the numbers I've catalogued, LTD sales as of the end of Q1 of their 5th full year are (rounded to the nearest 10k units):

PS4: 23.87M
XBO: 20.96M
360: 19.72M
PS3: 16.50M

Thank you, that helps put things into perspective.

The other user said PS4 is only ~7.5m ahead of PS3, thats nearly 50% better lol

Yeah, I made a mistake. Was thinking that was worldwide, rather than US only.