By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch hacked: unpatchable exploit is a security nightmare for Nintendo

well online isnt needed for about all of the games on the system, taking away that pillar of security.

the people who play and love nintendo will still buy the games it will be a small portion that will pirate it for the most part of course depending on region, now as far as the Asian Pacific countries, pirating will be high, that might be taking away some sales in high numbers for that region.

Around the Network

I don't understand why anyone sees this as a negative. How many Switch users on here will now stop buying games, and start stealing them?

Cheating: yes, this is a problem, hopefully Nintendo can detect hacked Switches.

Pirating: I don't know if this will be a big deal. What major consoles have NOT been hacked?

invetedlotus123 said:
I don't understand the hate concerning jailbreaking, a person has the right to make modifications to their own device and Run wichever software they feel like running, wich is a complete different animal from piracy.

Because piracy is an obvious side effect of jailbreaking.  Not everyone will do it, sure, but that will be the use for the vast majority that jailbreak their devise.

VAMatt said:
I don't understand why anyone sees this as a negative. How many Switch users on here will now stop buying games, and start stealing them?

The only thing that worries me is how it might affect their online games (once they finally roll it out).  The cheating mods could affect me in a real way...

Around the Network
HoloDust said:

Nintendo Switch has been hacked, with two similar exploits released in the last 24 hours following a complete dump of the console's boot ROM. The hacks are hardware-based in nature and cannot be patched by Nintendo. The only way forward for the platform holder in fully securing the console will be to revise the Nvidia Tegra X1 processor itself, patching out the boot ROM bug. In the short term, homebrew code execution is possible and a full, touch-enabled version of Linux with 3D acceleration support is now available.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-switch-hacked-exploit-analysis

Have you seen this pic?
https://i0.wp.com/nintendosoup.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/fail0verflow-switchx-pic-1.png?resize=768%2C576&ssl=1

This it how it works.

Its release date is “coming soon”, supposedly according to the twitter profile behinde the guy that did the hack.

Hmm, lets wait and see how 3rd party react, from what i can gather on consoles they are not too tolerable to pirates.

loy310 said:
Hmm, lets wait and see how 3rd party react, from what i can gather on consoles they are not too tolerable to pirates.

That would apply to every console on the market though.

I’m mostly worried about cheating in online games like Splatoon. I hope nintendo has something in the pipeline to combat this.

I also think indies will be hit harder by piracy than the bigger studios. But to be frank I don’t think priacy will be that big of a porblem. Sure some people will have the entire library pirated but the average owner will probably not pirate.

To come with a doom and gloom scenario while ignoring that, for example, the DS still sold well and a lot of software despite the existance of the R4 (and other similar devices) is just silly.

PSP ”failed” more because of UMD than piracy.

I might grab a switch now. I couldn't justify buying one and all the games. I already got a PS4 and i only really care about the older IP of Nintendo

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st