By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan sales (Week 15): Media Create/Famitsu/Dengeki - April 9 - 15, 2018

Shadow1980 said:

Yikes! I know hardware sales generally start to decline this time of year, but everything is looking rough, especially the PS4, which is way down YoY. I think it's time for a price cut, at least in Japan. It's clearly well past it's peak potential at the current price point.

Charts forthcoming. Just got back home from work and I want to eat some food and chill for a bit.

PS4 doesn't need a price cut, it needs stocks. The price cut would be useless if the stores are in full shortage...

I still don't understand why the situation here is so bad. Wouldn't be surprised if a new model was incoming (and then maybe with a price cut). 

Around the Network
Faelco said:
Shadow1980 said:

Yikes! I know hardware sales generally start to decline this time of year, but everything is looking rough, especially the PS4, which is way down YoY. I think it's time for a price cut, at least in Japan. It's clearly well past it's peak potential at the current price point.

Charts forthcoming. Just got back home from work and I want to eat some food and chill for a bit.

PS4 doesn't need a price cut, it needs stocks. The price cut would be useless if the stores are in full shortage...

I still don't understand why the situation here is so bad. Wouldn't be surprised if a new model was incoming (and then maybe with a price cut). 

Well how much better would sales possibly be if it were in stock? I have a hard time seeing it selling anything more than 15-20k/week, in which case sales would still be pretty poor.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Shikamo said:

Very low numbers for hardware this week :/, and damn dat legs for Kirby

That is disturbing

Pocky Lover Boy! 

PS4 has been dying for many years now in japan. It got really bad after the switch release.

Some people are still delusional I see.

Warned (Flaming/Trolling) ~ CGI

Last edited by CGI-Quality - on 19 April 2018

Shadow1980 said:
Faelco said:

So it's a stock issue?

You can read my previous posts. I tried to buy a PS4 2 weeks ago in Tokyo, and I only found one last pre-order available for the PS4 Pro GoW. In the 3 big stores I went to (Bic Camera, Yodobashi, Donki), it was sold out (and I mean all SKUs sold out). I only found mine at Bic Camera, I wasn't sure about buying the limited edition but didn't have any other option. 

They could lower the price if they want to, but if you can't find one in stores it's pretty useless, isn't it? 

They dropped the price for PSVR though, and you can find it pretty easily.

Last edited by Faelco - on 18 April 2018

Around the Network
BlackBeauty said:

PS4 has been dying for many years now in japan. It got really bad after the switch release.

Some people are still delusional I see.

There are stock problems, but not big.

Add 3-5k to this week sales and that could be the weekly sales.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Faelco said:
Shadow1980 said:

I dont think stocks are the problem, well not the real problem anyway.

I personally find it weird that Sony hasnt been able to supply PS4 in a good quantity in the last 3 or 4 weeks, so I think its the result of two things:First of all like you said, there must be some kind of supply problem.For as much as the PS4 is not as popular as in other countries, or as other consoles in japan, it just seems off for the PS4 to only reach those numbers.So yeah, something fishy is going on with Sony in Japan.

But honestly, I think the biggest reason is because of this:Retailers are not asking for as much supply as we had hoped/antecipated.So yeah, assuming there was more supply, there would be more PS4 getting off the shelves, but at the same time, I just dont think it would be selling THAT much more.It would probably settle somewhere around 20k, but thats it.We need to remember that the PS4 failed to set the japanese market on fire and its a console on its 5th year.Its going to decline at some point.

Plus next week(I guess?), is golden week, so a decline in demanda this week and the one before it is expected.Just not at this size.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Nautilus said:
Faelco said:

I personally find it weird that Sony hasnt been able to supply PS4 in a good quantity in the last 3 or 4 weeks, so I think its the result of two things:First of all like you said, there must be some kind of supply problem.For as much as the PS4 is not as popular as in other countries, or as other consoles in japan, it just seems off for the PS4 to only reach those numbers.So yeah, something fishy is going on with Sony in Japan.

But honestly, I think the biggest reason is because of this:Retailers are not asking for as much supply as we had hoped/antecipated.So yeah, assuming there was more supply, there would be more PS4 getting off the shelves, but at the same time, I just dont think it would be selling THAT much more.It would probably settle somewhere around 20k, but thats it.We need to remember that the PS4 failed to set the japanese market on fire and its a console on its 5th year.Its going to decline at some point.

Plus next or week(I guess?), is golden week, so a decline in demanda this week and the one before it is expected.Just not at this size.

Stores not ordering could be a reason, but I don't really believe it. Or they're very stupid.

Even if the PS4 doesn't put charts on fire, the biggest electronics stores with big shelves of PS4 games and accessories, and huge TVs advertising the latest or incoming releases should at least have a few consoles to sell with it. But it's been difficult or even impossible sometimes to get one for weeks now, with messages on the shelves saying "Sorry, we're out" and meanwhile my local Bic Camera is stocking 80 Switches. I don't believe for a second that it's a choice from the stores. If they had only a few, yeah. None at all, no.

Faelco said:
Nautilus said:

Plus next or week(I guess?), is golden week, so a decline in demanda this week and the one before it is expected.Just not at this size.

Stores not ordering could be a reason, but I don't really believe it. Or they're very stupid.

Even if the PS4 doesn't put charts on fire, the biggest electronics stores with big shelves of PS4 games and accessories, and huge TVs advertising the latest or incoming releases should at least have a few consoles to sell with it. But it's been difficult or even impossible sometimes to get one for weeks now, with messages on the shelves saying "Sorry, we're out" and meanwhile my local Bic Camera is stocking 80 Switches. I don't believe for a second that it's a choice from the stores. If they had only a few, yeah. None at all, no.

Not wanting to sound like a jerk, but thats kind of an anecdotal evidence.Not to mention that while the demand for PS4s may be high in Tokyo, it may not be so for the rest of Japan.Plus, having Switches on stock dosent influence how much PS4 should be on stock too.I mean, if anything the effect should be contrary:Since the Switch sells better on Japan than the PS4, retailers will tend to favor it.But thats besides the point.

Its just that I personally find much more reasonable for the problem to lie in the retailers rather than solely on Sony.Why then, would impede Sony for shipping an extra 10k to Japan?GOW release?10k would hardly make a difference in the west, considering how much they manage to sell there.Unable to manufacture PS4 in the factories?Such a thing hasnt happened for years, and given its only influencing Japan(apparently) I dont think its the reason.Preparing for the launch of a new slim model?Can be, but its highly unlikely, given that we are few months away from E3, and this problem has been persisting for longer than the time that such announcement would usually take.

I mean, it could be the Golden week, and retailers and/or Sony are just holding stock for it, but I dont believe it.But if PS4 sales go back to normal after that week passes, Ill be the first to admit I was wrong.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Nautilus said:
Faelco said:

Not wanting to sound like a jerk, but thats kind of an anecdotal evidence.Not to mention that while the demand for PS4s may be high in Tokyo, it may not be so for the rest of Japan.Plus, having Switches on stock dosent influence how much PS4 should be on stock too.I mean, if anything the effect should be contrary:Since the Switch sells better on Japan than the PS4, retailers will tend to favor it.But thats besides the point.

Its just that I personally find much more reasonable for the problem to lie in the retailers rather than solely on Sony.Why then, would impede Sony for shipping an extra 10k to Japan?GOW release?10k would hardly make a difference in the west, considering how much they manage to sell there.Unable to manufacture PS4 in the factories?Such a thing hasnt happened for years, and given its only influencing Japan(apparently) I dont think its the reason.Preparing for the launch of a new slim model?Can be, but its highly unlikely, given that we are few months away from E3, and this problem has been persisting for longer than the time that such announcement would usually take.

I mean, it could be the Golden week, and retailers and/or Sony are just holding stock for it, but I dont believe it.But if PS4 sales go back to normal after that week passes, Ill be the first to admit I was wrong.

Gotta love the convenient "anecdotal evidence". 

"I wonder why people don't buy PS4 in Japan... Oh, you live in Japan and can't buy a PS4 because the stores are out of stock? Anecdotal evidence! I wonder why people really don't buy PS4 in Japan..." 

Those forums are sometimes ridiculous... A couple of months ago it was "OMG The Switch is so sold out, it could sell 100k if it was in stock" even if it wasn't that hard to find one here, and now "Bah, the PS4 is selling 10k, everything is normal, nobody cares about it, the MHW craziness with 110k sales was just a one-week anomaly".

There is some big issue in the supply chain. Don't know if Sony decided to focus on EU and US, if a new SKU is coming, or if they just have some problem somewhere, but I'm pretty sure the situation isn't something wanted by people trying to make a living selling consoles and video games. Otherwise they would have Vita shortage too, not just PS4. But nope, you can buy a Vita anytime. PSVR too. Are you telling me that retailers prefer Vita and PSVR over PS4? Really? 

Last edited by Faelco - on 18 April 2018