By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Dr. Shawn Baker challenges vegan jihadis, eats only meat for 15 months. Think he's unhealthy? Here's what happened...

JRPGfan said:
palou said:

Every single macro or micro nutrient can be found in high concentration in some plant matter... It's a pain, but there's absolutely no scientific reason why you couldn't balance a diet off of plant matter. 

Some proteins/fats/minerals/vitamins are really hard to find in "plant matter" though.

...which ones

In general, the composition of plants is a lot more diverse than that of meat. Further off from what you need, individually, but you have all the spikes you need to balance it out, if you do the math. 

The "best" diet is one thats varied/balanced, I think.

If you're not measuring it, this is probably true.

Bet with PeH: 

I win if Arms sells over 700 000 units worldwide by the end of 2017.

Bet with WagnerPaiva:

I win if Emmanuel Macron wins the french presidential election May 7th 2017.

Around the Network
John2290 said:
palou said:

... What concerns the bolded, here - that isn't how evolution works. There, in fact, exists no such thing as "devolution". We stay with whatever form is most optimal. Saying that eating less meat makes it more optimal to have smaller brains really doesn't have any sort of basis. (In the past, it could - since hunting required intelligence. The same can't be said about choosing ground pork on the supermarket aisle.) That is also not how regressive genes work. They don't activate on a diet, they activate if there is no dominant gene, (ususally only happens when inbreeding).

Again, omnivorous doesn't mean that we need a diverse diet. The whole point of being omnivorous, and what has allowed us to prosper so long, all over the globe, is that just about anything will do. As said, most ancient cultures had 90% of the population living almost exclusively off of the most available starch source. That definitely isn't healthy, and there are a number of specific *deficiencies* that were caused from it (scurvy, the most notable), but it still worked out, otherwise - because the human body is extremely adaptable, as said. These people were physical labourers, by the way - if anything, more so than anyone doing the same today. Deficiencies have been studied for a long, long time. You definitely don't slowly starve yourself to death from a vegan diet.

I'll agree that Veganism is more of a hassle than many people are willing to engage in, and does require you to do some linear algebra on your nutritional intake. Vegetarianism, on the other hand, does not have such a restriction, and is generally considered perfectly healthy, without supplements. 

I've actually already debated someone on here that there aren't any inherent medical advantages to veganism, either, haha, so it's fun to defend the other side, for now. The point remains that there ISN'T anything, at all, in meat, that you can't find in higher concentration in some fairly common plant-based food - be it amino-acids, fatty acids, sugars, or any micronutrient of your choice. It requires some linear algebra to get the proportions right, because each *single* plant is further off from what you'd need, but there is absolutely no scientific reason for which a planned diet should in any shape or form have worse results on your health than taking it from meat. Because, again, in the sum, a diet can be planned to have entirely identical nutritional content, after digestion, if the calculations were done correctly.

Anyways, interesting topic. I'm not vegan/vegetarian, btw, haha!

Yes there is devolution in life due to environmental and food sources you may however just call it evolution as it is no different and no, humans would not remain the same if we didn't feed ourselves the varied diet we need nor would we be able to retain our current state. In the same way prehistoric creatures like spiders became much, much smaller due to oxygen we would over many generations change in a more negative way equal to how we have evolved from a varied diet. Ever had to have your appendix out? That's evolution in action in real time with pain to prove it

For the example of spiders, there's a rather obvious relation. Spider's don't have lungs, and aren't able to distribute  oxygen throughout their bodies correctly, if there isn't sufficient oxygen. They die, if they're too big. So, smaller spiders survive. Simple as that.

Humans don't die, don't become infertile, etc... when they have a vegan diet, and a smaller brain certainly doesn't compensate for that in any way. The evolutionary drive just isn't there. 

Bet with PeH: 

Bet with WagnerPaiva:

Did he provide a metabolic panel and his hormone levels before beginning this diet? The information is useless without something to compare it to.

This reminds me of the dude who ate three meals of McDonalds a day for a month, though... WAIT, you're saying that's unhealthy? YOU DON'T SAY?

So stupid and unnecessary lol

palou said:
DonFerrari said:

When someone to have a healthy diet on vegan or vegetarian needs to do a lot of planning against a regular meal anyone is already eating you can see that it isn't healthier per se. 

I mean, I agree with that (start of 4th paragraph, haha!) I just meant that it was *possible* to be healthy on a vegan diet, for anyone that chose to do the planning.

Yes it's possible to be healthy with vegan diet... and probably someone could be healthy only eating meat and taking a lot of supplements.

John2290 said:
DonFerrari said:

I know how average works. And yes a lot of child died of malnutrition and diseases. Still the most someone lived on average base was 65 not 100.

Well, Veggies and Meat will have fat on them, but sure you can add dairies on this diet... and also yes I put a regular diet for people of today (that mostly are officer workers). But there is no denying that too much meat on your diet isn't health (same with only veggies).

Indeed, as I said in my first comment on this thread, moderation and balance. 

yep

John2290 said:
palou said:

... What concerns the bolded, here - that isn't how evolution works. There, in fact, exists no such thing as "devolution". We stay with whatever form is most optimal. Saying that eating less meat makes it more optimal to have smaller brains really doesn't have any sort of basis. (In the past, it could - since hunting required intelligence. The same can't be said about choosing ground pork on the supermarket aisle.) That is also not how regressive genes work. They don't activate on a diet, they activate if there is no dominant gene, (ususally only happens when inbreeding).

Again, omnivorous doesn't mean that we need a diverse diet. The whole point of being omnivorous, and what has allowed us to prosper so long, all over the globe, is that just about anything will do. As said, most ancient cultures had 90% of the population living almost exclusively off of the most available starch source. That definitely isn't healthy, and there are a number of specific *deficiencies* that were caused from it (scurvy, the most notable), but it still worked out, otherwise - because the human body is extremely adaptable, as said. These people were physical labourers, by the way - if anything, more so than anyone doing the same today. Deficiencies have been studied for a long, long time. You definitely don't slowly starve yourself to death from a vegan diet.

I'll agree that Veganism is more of a hassle than many people are willing to engage in, and does require you to do some linear algebra on your nutritional intake. Vegetarianism, on the other hand, does not have such a restriction, and is generally considered perfectly healthy, without supplements. 

I've actually already debated someone on here that there aren't any inherent medical advantages to veganism, either, haha, so it's fun to defend the other side, for now. The point remains that there ISN'T anything, at all, in meat, that you can't find in higher concentration in some fairly common plant-based food - be it amino-acids, fatty acids, sugars, or any micronutrient of your choice. It requires some linear algebra to get the proportions right, because each *single* plant is further off from what you'd need, but there is absolutely no scientific reason for which a planned diet should in any shape or form have worse results on your health than taking it from meat. Because, again, in the sum, a diet can be planned to have entirely identical nutritional content, after digestion, if the calculations were done correctly.

Yes there is devolution in life due to environmental and food sources you may however just call it evolution as it is no different and no, humans would not remain the same if we didn't feed ourselves the varied diet we need nor would we be able to retain our current state. In the same way prehistoric creatures like spiders became much, much smaller due to oxygen we would over many generations change in a more negative way equal to how we have evolved from a varied diet. Ever had to have your appendix out? That's evolution in action in real time with pain to prove it

It's waaay more than just a hassle but a way of life unless you have a personal meal planner or a damn PA, it goes beyond the pale of what is possible for most people in today's society and the ones with time enough for it most likely don't have the money for it so Vegans can virtue all they want but the reality of the situation never changes, they are an outlier, there are negative effects to health and it's not feasible for the majority and no fuck all people want to have to live in your world of mood swings and a more boring palate. Show me a Vegan without mood swings and I'll show you Bethesda game with not a single glitch. ^_^

Good to see you aren't vegan as I was wondering why you'd be for GMO's and synthetic meat as so many Vegans are against both.

There is also the 4 teeths we grow in adulthood that due to we using less strenght while chewing we don't develop our jaw and don't make space for those extra teeths... and probably since we do clean them a lot more we also don't lose teeths that would be substituted when the 4 grow.

palou said:
John2290 said:

For the example of spiders, there's a rather obvious relation. Spider's don't have lungs, and aren't able to distribute  oxygen throughout their bodies correctly, if there isn't sufficient oxygen. They die, if they're too big. So, smaller spiders survive. Simple as that.

Humans don't die, don't become infertile, etc... when they have a vegan diet, and a smaller brain certainly doesn't compensate for that in any way. The evolutionary drive just isn't there. 

You would be looking at a very limited time frame in this analysis you made.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Johnw1104 said:
Did he provide a metabolic panel and his hormone levels before beginning this diet? The information is useless without something to compare it to.

This reminds me of the dude who ate three meals of McDonalds a day for a month, though... WAIT, you're saying that's unhealthy? YOU DON'T SAY?

So stupid and unnecessary lol

I have put the same commentary on the "super size me"

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
John2290 said:
palou said:

I'll also point out that the brain happens to be the only organ of the human body that relies entirely on simple sugars, as a energy source, under standard circumstances, and also has one of the lowest cellular replacement rates (which implies that less material is required, over time.) If anything, it would be the last non-vital to be affected by any evolutionary stress stemming from a lack of meat intake (again, none such exists, as this doesn't negatively impact our chances of procreation.)

Bet with PeH: 

Bet with WagnerPaiva:

I see vegans as a higher form of humanity who do it for moral reasons (sadly I'm not quite on that level myself) but a balanced diet getting nutrients from many different foods is the way to go. You can healthily be vegan because that encompasses a lot of different foods but just meat surely won't ever work. Lots of non meat products have proteins.

When you think about it our bodies create many nutrients and proteins themselves hence why they are in meat or if they aren't in the meat they were obtained from eating plants etc. Many of the issues of food being unhealthy and not providing the nutrients etc we need is because its heavily processed often sterile destroying the healthy aspects of the food. That's why fresh or frozen is often the way to go rather than chilled or canned.

John2290 said:
palou said:

Tell that to people with alcohol fetal syndrome, people born from drug addled mothers. Just as those people have to deal with the consequences of not getting the proper diet at the right time. Desendants of Vegans will suffer in the same way, most likely the first signs through the generational leaps being mental more than physical. Sure this could be fixed if it was just a few generations but like I mentioned in the case of the appendix, no amount of grass in your diet is bringing the thing back to life. You are speaking in a complete chicken or egg situation but life and evolution is more nuanced that and the small changes have massive effects over long periods of time. Even in the short term on scales we can imagine, you can see a Vegans mental state change before your eyes in a negative way in the first few months and it's not a pretty sight. 

Again, why would the adaption process to a vegan diet cause a decrease in brain size? 

Even if a parent has a bad mental state, you don't *inherit* that. Lamarckism is a theory that's been abandoned for a long time, already. For evolution, you need evolutionary drive.

The hormones that cause mental state just don't require significant building materials (and you can find those building materials in just about anything, just in different proportions...). IF there are any immediately noticeable effects, these are due to reactions, from the body, to something it's not used to - rather than an inability to maintain production. The natural evolutionary step is losing those reactions, not losing brain capacity.

Bet with PeH: 

Bet with WagnerPaiva:

palou said:
JRPGfan said:

Some proteins/fats/minerals/vitamins are really hard to find in "plant matter" though.

...which ones

In general, the composition of plants is a lot more diverse than that of meat. Further off from what you need, individually, but you have all the spikes you need to balance it out, if you do the math. 

The "best" diet is one thats varied/balanced, I think.

If you're not measuring it, this is probably true.

Vitamin B12 has already been mentioned multiple times in this thread.   It's pretty important too.  A Vitamin B12 deficiency has detrimental effects on the body.  Here's 6 more by the way:

7 Nutrients That You Can't Get From Plant Foods
  • Vitamin B12. 
  • Creatine. 
  • Carnosine. 
  • Cholecalciferol (Vitamin D3) .
  • Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA) .
  • Heme-iron.
  • Taurine.

palou said:
John2290 said:

Who is fitting the bill here? Do you want to pay? Do you want to personally manage the diet of people who barely have enough time to fart let alone keep their energy levels up and their body in top shape. If you think a vegan diet doesn't take significant time and can't be adopted by the VAST majority of people for time, health and managing their health without without getting sick because of it then you're kidding yourself. I've seen people go Vegan, have to devote more time and money to thier diet every passing week and still end up looking like they were on drugs, both a man and two women. None could keep it up and all had to return to either meat or fish and diary products and look a damn sight better for it. 

There is a reason you only see vloggers and celebrity vegans or rich kids who look healthy and are living on a Vegan diet with little health effects. Time and money and even with some people that still isn't enough, thier bodies reject Veganism the same as it would if they ate straight meat. Why is it so hard for people to just accept we are omnivorous and we have inherited the world and our higher level of intelligence because of a diverse diet of meat, fruit and veg.

Even if everyone in the world went vegan and we managed to straighten out the ill effects, which isn't posdible as you say it is unless you're a time traveller, it would be screwing future generations out of forward evolution and at the very least cause mental illness, regressive gene traits and as I said cause a quick devolution for the human race. 

Respect the animals that die to keep your health and mind up to the pinnacle it can be, don't waste either and make the most of what you're given. No need to slowly starve yourself or make life difficult, just source your meat. Become a free range farmer. Anything but a vegan mess of mood swings and violences in the hope to make the world a better place yet spreading nothing but a volatile in the short term. 

...as you can tell, this is a subject close to my heart. Lmao.

7 Supplements You Need on a Vegan Diet

1. Vitamin B12

2. Vitamin D

3. Long-Chain Omega-3s

4. Iodine

5. Iron

6. Calcium

7. Zinc