Forums - Movies & TV - Black Panther vs Avengers: Infinity War

Who makes the most money?

Black Panther domestic and worldwide 2 3.64%

Avengers 3 domestic and worldwide 36 65.45%

Back Panther domestic Avengers worldwide 12 21.82%

Avengers domestic Black Panther worldwide 0 0%

Poor DC Comics 😢 5 9.09%

Total:55

Which is going to make more money? Worldwide and Domestic?

It seems pretty obvious that Avengers is going to be the bigger money maker. It's pretty much what the entire MCU has been building up to. Not only that, Black Panther is in the movie, too!

At the same time, Black Panther kinda surprised a lot of people. It had the advantage of being an "event" for African Americans as well as just being a good movie all around. Repeat viewings had pushed it to be the the number 3 movie of all time (not adjusted for inflation) domestically.

So, when the smoke clears, which movie will be the bigger money maker? Black Panther has its money RIGHT NOW. Avengers still has to prove itself and it has to compete with a lot of summer blockbusters whereas Black Panther had relatively little to take away from its success.

So... Place your bets!

Last edited by d21lewis - on 16 April 2018

Around the Network

I'd say IW, obviously. BP outperformed expectations greatly at the DBO, but was just seen as another big standalone MCU to the rest of the world. IW, on the other hand, has a good shot of overtaking BP at the DBO, and will 100% overtake it at the FBO, probably by ~60%. If the film is really good, anyway, which I expect it to be at least a decent flick.

And it also seems like it is breaking all kinds of preorder records, as well. Should do at least ~$1.7B.

I think Infinity war is going to be a top 3 all time box office performer, so yeah....

Worldwide, I think Infinity War has it in the bag, but I don't think it will win domestically.

Age of Ultron managed 1.4B, and IW has a lot more hype and good will going into it. Black Panther managed 675M as a cultural phenomenon and did so without any real competition. IW will have both Deadpool and Star Wars to deal with a mere month after its release (not to mention the tail end of BP itself). Even if it is a cultural phenomenon itself and better received than Avengers 1, it will be facing a lot more opposition.

600M is an insanely high bar that A1 (a phenomenon of its own) barely managed to top. Hardly anything beats it even under the best conditions. IW has the potential, but that 700M mark (which BP should get pretty close to) may simply be too high for any movie to achieve when there is strong competition early in its release cycle. IW will have to steamroll another superhero movie and another all-ages spectacle just to hit 650M.

I'm just not convinced that it has the domestic box office in the bag, but if ANYTHING can pull it off, it's Infinity War.

I don't expect Solo to take many movie goers away from IW mulitple viewings, so Id guess IW will have legs until Deadpool comes out. I think it will probably pass both Domestic and WW, but there's a chance domestic could stay with BP.

Owner of PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Switch, PS Vita, and 3DS

Around the Network

Shouldn't you be comparing infinity war to the previous avengers movies?

A solo superhero movie isn't going to do better than Infinity war.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

ArchangelMadzz said:

Domestically it is where Black Panther made 200 million + more than Age of Ultron and 50 million + more than first Avengers.  It is Marvel's most successful film in the United States.

Internationally I don't think Black Panther has a prayer and could see Infinity War doing over a billion outside the US.

Black Panther - 675 million domestically, 640 million internationally

Infinity War prediction - 650 million domestically, 1.1 billion internationally

Infinity War will pass 2 billion worldwide, beating Black Panther both domestic and worldwide

Nymeria said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

Domestically it is where Black Panther made 200 million + more than Age of Ultron and 50 million + more than first Avengers.  It is Marvel's most successful film in the United States.

Internationally I don't think Black Panther has a prayer and could see Infinity War doing over a billion outside the US.

It is, and black panther appears in infinity war bringing his fans along with him. 

All projections show infinity war winning which is I find this thread a bit mad. 

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/avengers-infinity-war-fandango-presale-marvel-1202750313/

It's presale tickets are more than the last 7 marvel movies combined, this includes Black panther of course.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

ArchangelMadzz said:
Nymeria said:

It is, and black panther appears in infinity war bringing his fans along with him. 

All projections show infinity war winning which is I find this thread a bit mad. 

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/avengers-infinity-war-fandango-presale-marvel-1202750313/

It's presale tickets are more than the last 7 marvel movies combined, this includes Black panther of course.

He was in Civil War, which had the benefit of all those other heroes fans and yet his solo outing did far better now at $250+ million more in the US.

It is hard to overstate just how insane Black Panther success was when it beat everything else Marvel has done.  I think infinity War will smash the opening week doing $250 million, but then its legs will be the big question mark competing against Deadpool and Star Wars.