By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Phil Spencer Respond About The state of Xbox One First party Exclusives and The Answer is Sad

How do you feel

XBOX One will get a great... 8 10.26%

I don't care win or loose... 9 11.54%

Ouya master race 6 7.69%

I quit supporting Xbox 35 44.87%

I don't care i own every ... 7 8.97%

see result 13 16.67%

Total:78

Xbox 360 was a great system, but with the One Microsft showed us that they're in it to compete in a lucrative market rather than caring for the future of gaming. Sony and Nintendo have been on fire and are putting fresh and cutting edge gaming experiences first. Microsoft has mostly been busy with timed exclusive deals and failed GaaS experiments...

Around the Network

I own an Xbox One for online, third party MP games and Halo. So I'm good.

pretty sad,but its whatever. Still waiting for Crackdown 3

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

If we're going to say that great first party exclusives started coming in previous generations then the X1 is in even worse state compared to its rivals, the Xbox and X360 both had some absolutely amazing exclusives both first and 3rd party, the X1 has taken a giant leap backwards from where those systems were at, you can't just say that the ps4 is doing good because the ps3 was good.... the X360 was almost better in ways of exclusive games so the x1 should be doing better than the ps4 if we use that logic.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

They've had time since the 360, or even the original Xbox (even though the gaming industry was kind of a new thing for them, so they can have some leeway with that), so it makes me wonder what'd they've been doing during this generation, since at this point in time, they've been lacking a bit compared to the PS4. Whatever they're working on, they shouldn't take too much time.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network
EricHiggin said:
KazumaKiryu said:

Thats true, really sad. Funny is: These are the same words as in the first XboxOne year by Microsoft -.- I have no interest in xbox (in future) and two of my friends have sold it. For microsoft is profit important, but not the players and gaming studios. The entire time after the Xbox360 shows it in my opinion. Microsoft is rich, but Sony develops the most expensive video game-productions in the last 7-10 years - and this is awesome for us, for the player. One of the reasons why many people have zero interest in xbox anymore.

XB is there to keep SNY out of the PC/OS space. MS saw this potentially becoming a problem back during the PS1 and PS2 era. It's not a coincidence that MS wanted PS and/or Nin to work together with them, with MS offering to take care of the software and online side of things. Since neither agreed to it, the XB brand was born. Why? To protect the space that MS had already claimed, and make sure they didn't end up behind in the online services realm.

As long as XB is doing a good enough job at making sure the PS brand doesn't explode and grow like it did with PS2, or beyond, that's good enough for MS. The XB1 is doing exactly that right now, without being a huge financial burden, and so MS is just fine with where XB stands. I find it no surprise that PS backed off of the complete media entertainment system with PS4, and now XB1 seems to be backing off not only on the all in one media box, but console gaming to a degree as well. As long as the PS brand stays "in it's gaming place", MS will allow XB to be mediocre in certain ways, to be somewhat competitive, just to keep PS in check.

The reason why MS doesn't simply give XB the farm and allow them to snuff out PS, is because being a true console gaming platform, dedicated more so for the players, is not what MS is really after. Instead of destroying the greatness PS brings to the console gaming table, MS are simply protecting their main business. That's also not to say that there is nothing good about XB, it's just that the seemingly lack of effort, in comparison to PS, especially in super high quality first party games, from many more first party studios, is something MS doesn't want to invest in, based on their reason for being in the console space to begin with.

It's going to take a long time to figure out the first party situation, is just Phil saying it's basically not going to happen unless it's completely necessary to knock PS down a peg or two again. Otherwise, your simply going to get what you usually get, because it's the cheapest way to accomplish the true goal of XB, while potentially making some decent coin on the side from online services while they're at it. Phil must know this, and probably hates it, and tries to do the best he can with what he's given, but crossing the desert with a ball and chain, and just one bottle of water, won't get you near as far as the other guy who has a camel, knowledge of the oasis locations, and four weeks worth of supplies. 

The truth is the one household device to rule them all , that Bill Gates feared when he learned that PS2 would have multimedia capability  has flown the coop, so today there is no imperative to take them down  a peg ,or play a wrecking role , the fact is unlike Sony who under the world wide studio's banner encouraged their studios to make new IP's,  with the knowledge that every hit subsidises around 7 games, that regardless of whether their  critical scores are high or low lose money or just  break even and Sony see that cross game subsidy being ploughed back into more games allows them to have a larger and more diverse Ist party portfolio, not just in numbers but types and sizes of games.

While continuing popular series is important having your 1st party studios also looking ahead to new ideas adds to the creative mindset of the studios ; and that is something that MS could look at encouraging their successful studios to also workshop ideas for future games  now the majority will fall by the wayside but you can end up with an Horizon and you will find the process gets better the longer it's allowed to unfold , take bungie what would have happened if MS said set up some groups to do future game prototyping while finishing off Halo Reach, like Guerilla did while making Shadowfall there might have been a chance that events played out different.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Darc Requiem said:
The problem is MS has gone backwards ........ compatibility 

Ba  Dum Tess  

PwerlvlAmy said:
pretty sad,but its whatever. Still waiting for Crackdown 3

If they able to finish Crackdown 3 in this generation. If not then probably next gen.

It is sad. Phil Spencer seems to lie frequently. His response seemed like damage control because Ryan's statement was purely about software but if you read Phil Spencer's response you could tell he was trying to change attention towards hardware and services.

Microsoft's problem is mainly greed. They want to make multiplayer games to boost Xbox Live subscriptions. They want to make service base games with microtransactions to make more money with less effort (Sea of Thieves). We all know Microsoft wants to go all digital.

Greed motivates Microsoft to lazily mimic the success of others instead of creating original ideas or experiences. Forza was supposed to be a GT clone. Tomb Raider timed exclusivity was a temporary band aid against Uncharted. The developers of Ryse stated they took ideas from God of War. Now job listings show Microsoft wants to work on their own Horizon type game.

Halo is one of Microsoft's more original IPs but the series hasn't evolved much. There wasn't much of a visual improvement between Halo 4 on the 360 and Halo 5 on the Xbone. The visual improvement between Uncharted 3 and Uncharted 4 was very noticeable. God of War Ascension and God of War PS4 is another example. Sony seems to give there devs more time to improve quality. In comparison Microsoft seemed to rush Halo 5 and Gears 4.

Microsoft also has a less diverse library. Halo and Gears are both sci fi shooters and multiplayer focused. Forza is a GT clone. To be fair Microsoft did fund Sunset Overdrive and Quantum Break but they were not the success Microsoft was hoping. In comparison Sony is more diverse.

Anyone who says Sony doesn't have multiplayer is full of it. GT Sport, Uncharted, Last of Us and other games have popular multiplayer functionality. Sony has multiplayer but the difference from Microsoft is they have highly popular unique single player experiences you can't find in multiplayer type games. They have racers, shooters, hack n slasher, action adventure, platformers, cinematic butterfly effect type games and an exclusive sport like MLB.

Last edited by Enemy - on 16 April 2018

Enemy said:
It is sad. Phil Spencer seems to lie frequently. His response seemed like damage control because Ryan's statement was purely about software but if you read Phil Spencer's response you could tell he was trying to change attention towards hardware and services.

Microsoft's problem is mainly greed. They want to make multiplayer games to boost Xbox Live subscriptions. They want to make service base games games with microtransactions to make more money with less effort (Sea of Thieves). We all know Microsoft wants to go all digital.

Greed motivates Microsoft to lazily mimic the success of others instead of creating original ideas or experiences. Forza was supposed to be a GT clone. Tomb Raider timed exclusivity was a temporary band aid against Uncharted. The developers of Ryse stated they took ideas from God of War. Now job listings show Microsoft wants to work on their own Horizon type game.

Halo is one of Microsoft's more original IPs but the series hasn't evolved much. There wasn't much of a visual improvement between Halo 4 on the 360 and Halo 5 on the Xbone. The visual improvement between Uncharted 3 and Uncharted 4 was very noticeable. God of War Ascension and God of War PS4 is another example. Sony seems to give there devs more time to improve quality. In comparison Microsoft seemed to rush Halo 5 and Gears 4.

Microsoft also has a less diverse library. Halo and Gears are both sci fi shooters and multiplayer focused. Forza is a GT clone. To be fair Microsoft did fund Sunset Overdrive and Quantum Break but they were not the success Microsoft was hoping. In comparison Sony is more diverse.

Anyone who says Sony doesn't have multiplayer is full of it. GT Sport, Uncharted, Last of Us and other games have popular multiplayer functionality. Sony has multiplayer but the difference from Microsoft is they have highly popular unique single player experiences you can't find in multiplayer type games. They have racers, shooters, hack n slasher, action adventure, platformers, cinematic butterfly effect type games and an exclusive sport like MLB.

Sony is successful

Agree,there are a lot of truth form your post, but people will not like it or accept it.

Well actually SONY also exist to make money or gain profit but the difference is SONY build their plan for longer terms , and Microsoft for short terms.