By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The PS4 really should have backwards compatibility!

FentonCrackshell said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

How much does backwards compatibility matter?  Well lets look at the performance of Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft consoles.  Some of them had BC and some didn't.  Below I've ranked each console based on hardware sales and market share on a 1-10 scale.  Obviously I left off consoles that were firsts in their line (NES, PS1, etc...) and I left off Switch because it's so recent.  Here are the results:

Console Sales Performance (1-10) BC? Console Sales Performance (1-10) BC?
SNES 7 N Wii 8 Y
N64 4 N Wii U 1 Y
GCN 2 N GBA 8 Y
Virtual Boy 1 N DS 10 Y
PS3 5 N 3DS 7 Y
PS4 9 N PS2 10 Y
PS Vita 1 N XB360 5 Y
      XB1 3 Y
Average 4.1 Average 6.5  

There certainly is a strong correlation between BC and market success.  It doesn't guarantee market success, but it sure doesn't hurt either.

BC certainly isn't helping X1. And it certainly didn't help WiiU. And I don't know anyone bout any of those consoles off the basis of BC. Inversely no one didn't buy them because they're not BC. I can't imagine someone saying "I don't want an X1 because I can't play my old X360 games on it." That makes absolutely no sense. Also, we're 5 years into the PS4's life cycle and we're still arguing the fact that it doesn't play games that are probably a decade old.

Look, there are always plenty of new games out there to play. Yes it's nice to have BC but it's not a deal breaker to not have it. When I had a 360, a Wii, and a WiiU I never thought once about playing an XBOX, GameCube, or Wii game. I'm sure that's not "just me". The BC/sales correlation is purely coincidental. As a matter a fact, the BC consoles all released at a time when video games had become extremely more popular and had broader appeal. That's why those consoles so more than the non-BC consoles.

BC wasn't added until a few years after for the X1, so it didn't have the initial impact if it had it at launch. If the console would have launched with it, many X360 owners who switched over to ps4 would of had at least a harder decision to make. No one is strictly buying a console for BC but it does play a factor in a decision being made. 

Around the Network
smroadkill15 said:
FentonCrackshell said:

BC certainly isn't helping X1. And it certainly didn't help WiiU. And I don't know anyone bout any of those consoles off the basis of BC. Inversely no one didn't buy them because they're not BC. I can't imagine someone saying "I don't want an X1 because I can't play my old X360 games on it." That makes absolutely no sense. Also, we're 5 years into the PS4's life cycle and we're still arguing the fact that it doesn't play games that are probably a decade old.

Look, there are always plenty of new games out there to play. Yes it's nice to have BC but it's not a deal breaker to not have it. When I had a 360, a Wii, and a WiiU I never thought once about playing an XBOX, GameCube, or Wii game. I'm sure that's not "just me". The BC/sales correlation is purely coincidental. As a matter a fact, the BC consoles all released at a time when video games had become extremely more popular and had broader appeal. That's why those consoles so more than the non-BC consoles.

BC wasn't added until a few years after for the X1, so it didn't have the initial impact if it had it at launch. If the console would have launched with it, many X360 owners who switched over to ps4 would of had at least a harder decision to make. No one is strictly buying a console for BC but it does play a factor in a decision being made. 

the extra 100USD probably wouldn't have been enough sweetened by the BC. The whole launch was such a fiasco that BC wouldn't impact much.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
smroadkill15 said:

the extra 100USD probably wouldn't have been enough sweetened by the BC. The whole launch was such a fiasco that BC wouldn't impact much.

I think there is an argument to be made there, but it's hard to say for sure. I still think it would have had some impact. 

JRPGfan said:
flashfire926 said:
I don't even think PS5 will ever have BC.....they only want to sell you re-releases/remasters along with psnow subscriptions...

I do.

PS5 hardware (if as rumored) should allow easy backwards compatibility (x86, 8core cpu, amd gpu design).

The problem with the PS4 emulating the PS3, is the Cellproccessor.
That wont be a issue with the PS5 emulating the PS4.

There is a perfectly great PS2 emulator in PS4 that isnt even being properly utilized by Sony. And there still arent any PS1 classics on PS4. What are your excuses for that? Combine that with Jim Ryan's comments, its clear that they dont care about it no matter how easy it is. It doesnt matter if their wont be an issue. Sony just doesnt care about it.

After all, how are they gonna sell their rereleases and ps-now subs? 

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Random_Matt said:
Nope, more undeserved entiltlement. People shouldn't sell old HW, Xbox fans only say it's good because it's a worthless platform when it comes to games.

Undeserved entitlement, what a great way to treat your customers

Around the Network
smroadkill15 said:
DonFerrari said:

I think there is an argument to be made there, but it's hard to say for sure. I still think it would have had some impact. 

PS3 sales rised quite a lot when they exchanged PS2 BC to price drop.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

twintail said:
Dr.Vita said:
Hopefully PS5 will have backwards compatibility. Imagine playing all PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 games on your Playstation 5 console, that would be an instant buy for me!

it will be BC with the PS4 and its software and thats about it I feel.

flashfire926 said:

There is a perfectly great PS2 emulator in PS4 that isnt even being properly utilized by Sony. And there still arent any PS1 classics on PS4. What are your excuses for that? Combine that with Jim Ryan's comments, its clear that they dont care about it no matter how easy it is. It doesnt matter if their wont be an issue. Sony just doesnt care about it.

After all, how are they gonna sell their rereleases and ps-now subs? 

Perfectly great? Lets not throw hyperbole around. There are quite a good number of games that are straight up unplayable on the PS2 emulator. 

We could argue that Sony not allowing users to use their PS2 disc is anti-consumer but that wouldnt change PSN releases.

And there arent any PS1 classics because there is no emulator on the PS4.

And PS2 games are not on PS Now.

Sure, so you're saying they stoped being more PS2 games because they couldn't anymore. There are many many more games that would be playable that aren't on the program, even when we exclude the unplayable games. They stopped supporting it because of a lacking of interest, not because they couldn't.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

flashfire926 said:
twintail said:

it will be BC with the PS4 and its software and thats about it I feel.

Perfectly great? Lets not throw hyperbole around. There are quite a good number of games that are straight up unplayable on the PS2 emulator. 

We could argue that Sony not allowing users to use their PS2 disc is anti-consumer but that wouldnt change PSN releases.

And there arent any PS1 classics because there is no emulator on the PS4.

And PS2 games are not on PS Now.

Sure, so you're saying they stoped being more PS2 games because they couldn't anymore. There are many many more games that would be playable that aren't on the program, even when we exclude the unplayable games. They stopped supporting it because of a lacking of interest, not because they couldn't.

Thats probably true.... and your right, it would be nice if they on the next update, just had a emulator for ps2 released as a download, and suddenly you could play your old PS2 disc games on the PS4 (even if not all of them would run perfectly ect).

I hope the same isnt true for the PS5 though, that needs back compatibility imo.

well they decided to wrap it up in a streaming service with a fee. and port over some charging again for them.

its why just like you OP, my ps3 is still connected to a tv in another room, as I am not finished with some games on the system because their solutions dont appeal to me in any way, even if the internet was reliable enough, never going for streaming games, not as it is now.

Now even the x360 games are getting the makeover treatment from the emulation MS is using with little overhead. I use it alot of my x1x, and have bought much more digital titles on it because I really like the BC stance MS has made and made clear. I am just saying it has been something I really have began to enjoy and want it going forward for my future purchases.

Even the most powerful PC's have trouble emulating PS3 games there's no way PS4 could. but BC for PS1 and PS2 titles should be a thing.