By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Dragon Quest XI for Switch delay due UE4, game based on PS4 version of game, why was announced for Switch so early

NoCtiS_NoX said:
It's like what I said on the other thread.
Damn if you do, damn if you don't.
If SE didn't announce it we will see the Ninty crowd crying and screaming foul that SE hates Switch.
And what's happening now we see post like. SE shouldn't have announce anything at all.
In all honesty SE won't be able to win regardless what they do in this situation.

And I am a bit right that they encounter with a problem with the engine.

Funny, no one is shaking their fist at CD Projekt Red.  Or WB.  Or even Activision.  And while a lot of people think Overwatch would be cool, no one is raging against them.  It's only companies that have made announcements or promises and failed to deliver in a timely manner that seem to get ragged on.  Funny, it's like if you announce things or make promises people will expect to see some movement.  What a novel concept, having expectations.

Yes, there are some 100% unreasonable people who want everything on Switch, simultaneous releases, no excuses.  And think everything is just drag and drop.  That's unreasonable.

Expecting a release window or a trailer or a screenshot or an off screen picture more than one and a half years after the announcement and almost a year after it's PS4 launch is not expecting much.  I mean, aside from those unreasonable people the rest of us are giving devs some pretty extra special treatment with regards to Switch.  If I or anyone held them to anything resembling the standards on PS4, even in 2014, we would all die of an aneurysm. If they would just show some proof that they care, that they're working on it, that some progress of some kind has been made, a lot of people would be a lot less upset.  But they won't.  You have to hound them and pester them to get them to even acknowledge the Switch version even exists and you're lucky if you get one paragraph of vague non-answers.  People have been waiting for almost a year since the PS4 version to see the Switch version in ANY form.  And after all that waiting what does Square have?   Nothing.  That would be damn upsetting no matter what platform it happened on.  If the shoe was on the other foot and PS4 was getting the shaft, the Sony crowd would have more than a few pissy people with their panties in a twist.  

Around the Network

Square Enix on why Dragon Quest XI was announced for Switch so early

“As we were working on Dragon Quest XI on Unreal Engine 4, we were also wanting to work on the Switch version, as well. Unfortunately, the engine was not compatible at first, though Nintendo and Epic were working on it together. When the engine revision released making porting to the Switch possible, we started working out our plans for the release.”

“We first announced the game before the Switch was even named the Switch, because we wanted fans to know we were working on that version. As the console started to come into focus, we found out that the engine and the console did not work together yet. Throughout development of the game, we worked with Epic and Nintendo to make progress to get the game on the Switch.”

https://nintendoeverything.com/square-enix-on-why-dragon-quest-xi-was-announced-for-switch-so-early-leaving-the-3ds-version-in-japan/

Talking about who is to blame why they announce game so early for "NX".

Miyamotoo said:

“As we were working on Dragon Quest XI on Unreal Engine 4, we were also wanting to work on the Switch version, as well. Unfortunately, the engine was not compatible at first, though Nintendo and Epic were working on it together. When the engine revision released making porting to the Switch possible, we started working out our plans for the release.”

“We first announced the game before the Switch was even named the Switch, because we wanted fans to know we were working on that version. As the console started to come into focus, we found out that the engine and the console did not work together yet. Throughout development of the game, we worked with Epic and Nintendo to make progress to get the game on the Switch.”

https://nintendoeverything.com/square-enix-on-why-dragon-quest-xi-was-announced-for-switch-so-early-leaving-the-3ds-version-in-japan/

Should be taken as a positive for SE having nothing but the best intentions for Switch since their willing to commit so early to an unknown system ... 

I guess we can put to rest the conspiracy theory that SE was actively trying to sabotage the Switch and I imagine the same path is headed for other big Japanese third party publishers ...

fatslob-:O said:
Miyamotoo said:

Should be taken as a positive for SE having nothing but the best intentions for Switch since their willing to commit so early to an unknown system ... 

I guess we can put to rest the conspiracy theory that SE was actively trying to sabotage the Switch and I imagine the same path is headed for other big Japanese third party publishers ...

You could take like ever you want this, but some people said Nintendo is blame for this while SE always announcing games way too early.

When comes to early announcements and delays, nobody really can't compete with SE.

Nuvendil said:

Meanwhile, at Sudio Wild Card

https://youtu.be/6B6kJm5pOx8

Seriously, this should have been taken care of ages ago.  The UE4 Switch support updates went out over a YEAR AGO.  But here we have a plucky indie dev and their small time porting studio partner beating one of the wealthiest and most influential Japanese publishers to the punch with a game that gives the PS4 and Xbone a run for their money.  

This is a display of frankly hilariously sad incompetence.

Wow if they can pull it off it will be amazing.

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
fatslob-:O said:

You could take like ever you want this, but some people said Nintendo is blame for this while SE always announcing games way too early.

When comes to early announcements and delays, nobody really can't compete with SE.

Don't waste your time talking to him.

He never change his mind.

"PlayStation 4 version to launch simultaneously with the Switch version, it ultimately decided against it."

thank goodness for that.

Last edited by Dgc1808 - on 14 April 2018

4 ≈ One

Miyamotoo said:

“It’s true that the Nintendo Switch version is under development at this moment in time,” Okamoto told GameSpot. “Specifically with regards to the development, this game was developed on the Unreal Engine, but the version for Unreal Engine needs to be updated, I suppose, in order to support Switch. In that sense, the development is still expected to take a very long time. It’s still a long ways out.”

Hokuto made clear that the Switch version will definitely be released in the west, and that the while the team considered holding back the PlayStation 4 version to launch simultaneously with the Switch version, it ultimately decided against it.

https://gematsu.com/2018/04/dragon-quest-xi-for-switch-delay-due-to-outdated-unreal-engine-4

EDIT

The addition of the second article makes me think that Square jumped the gun on this one. Why mention it in the initial announcement when you realized that UE4 was not compatible at first, early on in the NX’s development? And the second paragraph tells me that Nintendo didn’t provide any pressure towards Square in regards to releasing such info early on. Maybe they did behind the scenes and they won’t say it, but I doubt it.

and it’s unfortunate that they don’t believe the 3DS version could help get the game in more people’s hands in the West.

SE should have waited with the anouncement. They gained nothing. Now they are under pressure.

Miyamotoo said:

Nobody has to be blamed ... 

Nintendo fans got greedy by expecting the game to launch at the same time as the other versions in the West ...