By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Higher game sales: MK Wii or GTA 4?

well, i don't even understand what makes GTA iv so special, after character customization is gone....... (that was the best part for me)

Wii console: 0595 8808 5698 2709
Super Smash Bros Brawl: 1161 1357 5188

Mario Kart Wii: 1633 4506 4319

PES 2008: 1633 5820 0347

DragonBall Z BT 3: 3823 9760 9484

Pokemon Battle Revolution: 3480 2645 9186
Feel free to add me, and sent me a pm with your Friend Code!!

Around the Network

In my opinion, combined GTA 4 will obviously sell more than Mario Kart for the Wii. Individually, I do not think it would... but maybe. I mean, I have noticed in this topic that people have been saying things like "It's not fair." Initially, it is fair because that is Rockstar's decision of putting it on both systems. For Nintendo, they have decided to mainly put it into one system. That is their decision, and you have to respect that. If you compare the rave of Grand Theft Auto 4 with Gears of War, then you will realize that GTA 4's rave is a lot higher. Therefore possibly GTA 4 will have a great amont of sells, at least that is in the Xbox 360 version. And if you have not noticed also, that Gears of War's multiplayer users have reached the amount of Halo 2's... and that was a long time ago. Halo 2 had a lot of users, a lot. You also have to take in consideration of those who do not have Xbox Live.

Next, you have to realize money. I mean, and I am not trying to sound offensive, but the wii is mostly for kids. After parents buy them this system, I do not think that they will want to spend more money on Mario Kart, especially for the wheel controller concept. Grand Theft Auto 4 may sell more because lets face it, majourity of gamers are adults. Let's not forget about the kids... who to will buy Gta 4 by using their parents. Hell, you even have children who still play Halo 3. The fact is that there is much rave about GTA 4 and not a lot of rave about Mario Kart. Grand Theft Auto 4 is for more of the mature gamers, while mario kart will be for the younger players out there. The fact is that Mario Kart may tend to get boring since it is in fact repetative. I recall myself playing Mario Kart 64, and eventually just got bored of it. Does that mean that GTA 4 will be repetative too? Of course.. well at least that may be what you think. Rockstar has confirmed that the player has a lot more freedom in the game. 

Leni, what makes GTA IV so special now is that for the fact you have more freedom. Like calling contacts and asking them for a job. You no longer have to go to a job and continue the story. It is not longer like that. Mario Kart Wii is infact the samething, just different maps and settings. GTA 4 is a lot more realistic, for example such as going into a police car and searching information for your target. Mario Kart is driving. The thing is in Mario Kart Wii, could you customize your character? I am not sure, but I doubt it. Maybe your car, but not your character. In SSBB could you customize your character? Nope. I played SSBB and enjoyed it, for the time being. After awhile I completely got bored and realized you need to practice for days and days to per-fect your character. What if you want to perfect all the characters?

GTA 4 may not be special in your eyes, but it is for a bunch of users. Have you even noticed the reviews for GTA 4? It has gotten so many 10/10s that many people are so excited now. People listen to the reviews. I doubt that Mario Kart Wii will get 10/10s, maybe some, but nto all. GTA 4 has so many, and many people like to influence themselves on the reviews. I remember hearing a review for No More Heroes and many people listened to the person reviewing it. He said that he did not play his Wii in such a long time, that it was very dusty. You see, he probably does not like the Wii. I even heard this person say that they made a mistake in buying the Wii for SSBB. They wanted a 360 or a ps3, but thought that the wii is better. Realizing that Super Smash Bros. comes only once in every Nintendo console, they felt literally dumb. Now I love the Wii, but getting back to the topic. GTA 4 may sell more than Mario Kart, that is if you combine both systems. And maybe it may beat Mario Kart Wii. You even have to look at PC sells when GTA 4 comes out for the PC. Sure, maybe Rockstar did not confirm a pc version, but who says they are not making one? 

The fact is that people who buy GTA 4 for both systems is not a complete waste of money. Maybe they want to try the version for both platforms? It's as saying why buy two Wiis? When the person can respond, one is for my friend.

Secondly,  How the hell can you give a rough estimate on GTA 4's and Mario Kart's sells, when really you do not know what the sells are going to be like. People are only giving opinions on that matter. You cannot say something, because how do you know if it is in fact true? We all have different opinions, and if you look at Mario Kart's DS sells, then you can probably give a rough estimate around there. I mean there has not been much rave about Mario Kart, for SSBB there was, but I doubt that Mario Kart will sell more than SSBB. Why? Because people are still playing it. 

Over all, I say that Grand Theft Auto 4 will sell more than Mario Kart because now, game stores are putting a GTA 4 Bundle. Selling GTA 4 WITH the 360 or the Ps3. 

All this talk about who will sell more is in fact, totatlly on opinion. It is not a fact.

Lastly, if you do not believe me about the ratings of GTA 4 then I can show you where I have found the ratings

-Sorry if this post was very long for you guys, but just try to read it.  

GTA IV will completely destroy MK: Wii I wouldn't be surprised if it doubled it's sales.

Since these are worldwide sales, then I say combined GTA4 sales will outsell MK Wii, but it will be closer than people think. In Japan, Mario Kart for Gamecube (800K) outsold GTA Vice City (~500K) and San Andreas (500k) separately and that was on a poor selling console (GC) versus the PS2. MK Wii in one week has almost sold as much as MK Gamecube in its lifetime. Japan will be Mario Kart's country.

With more Wiis in the market in both NA and Europe and MK Wii being a bridge title, it'll be a close race in LTD unit sales.

Hi there.

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Video_Game_Sales - A wiki for video game sales figures

MKWii vs GTA4 on one console, MKWii wins hands down.

MKWii vs GTA4 on both consoles.... probably GTA4(65% chance), but that really depends on Wii's lifetime and the amount of a real bridge title MKWii becomes.

If MKWii is the premier bridge game where it is equally desired by the people who only buy Wii Sports/Play/Fit etc and the group of more general gamers who buy more titles like SMG, SSBB, Zelda, Medal of Honor, etc then MKWii could be easily 20m+ game. Personally this is the way I think it may happen.

So safe bet is GTA4, but, I think there is a strong possibility MKWii will sell 20m lifetime and be a good 4-5m ahead of GTA4's capabilities.

Around the Network

I think both games will sell about infinity copies, BUT... since I predict that the Wii will sell about a hundred mother gajillion units more than PS360 combined, I guess Wii's concept of infinity will be higher, so I'm predicting GTA4 sells more for the first year or 2, and Mario Kart makes a comeback around 2010 or 2011, when the last 89017250981275 Wiis are sold, and those newcomers pick up Mario Kart, Brawl, and Galaxy.

GTA4 on either system alone (PS3 or 360) will outsell Mario Kart Wii.

Go ahead, quote me...I dare you.

coolestguyever said:
GTA4 on either system alone (PS3 or 360) will outsell Mario Kart Wii.

Go ahead, quote me...I dare you.

what? we'll see...

MK Wii has sold over 1.5 million in 2 weeks without a NA launch. By the end of the year, we could be looking at a min. over 6-8 million sold. Do you seriously think that that the PS3 GTAIV will sell that much in the same time? That would be one wicked attach ratio - rivaling Halo 3

MKWii > GTAIV PS3 or GTAIV Xbox360. No doubt about this

GTAIV PS3 + Xbox360 > MKWii. Maybe this happen

ioi said:
A bit of a random way to do it - how can you base lifetime sales on current hardware LTD figures?

Having said that, I would say around 10-12m for MK Wii, 16-17m for GTA IV (with a 50:50 split for 360 / PS3) - so pretty spot on.

I think your estimate for MK:Wii is too low.